• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Definitely a noob - sanity check on wc build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howdoi

Registered
New to wc and want to sanity check my loop plan. I am building a new rig in a sliger sm570 with the following:
- Ryzen 3900x
- EVGA Hydro Copper 2080 Super
- Asus Rog B550i
- Sabrent Rocket 1TB
- G. Skill Ripjaws 2x16
- EK xtop DDC 3.2
- EK Quantum Velocity CPU Block
- Corsair SF750
- 4x Noctua NF-A12x15 chromax

Fittings are TBD, but it looks like I will need the following:
- 6x 90 deg
- 1 low profile 90 deg, i have read that Koolance is the lowest profile 90 deg (this is to connect the res to pump as clearance is < 25mm)
- 1 1/4" male to female connector (it doesn't look like the Koolance LP has a male end to screw in)
- 6x straight compression fittings

I am going to use 3/8 x 5/8 soft tubing for this build as well as XSPC TX240 rads (which are out of stock everywhere, but i will wait because they are the only rads that will fit in the bottom of the case)

Does this loop set up make sense? All comments/suggestions are welcome.
View attachment 211045View attachment 211046

The order of the components in the loop will make no difference as once up and running for a period of time the coolant will attain a stasis temp that reflects the sum total of all heat producing components in the loop.

The more important question has to do with radiator fan orientation with regard to intake and exhaust. And even then there are trade offs. If you set the radiator fans to exhaust heated air from the interior of the case then the radiators will not cool the water blocked components as efficiently but the other interior components such as VRM that are not cooled by water will run cooler. If you set the radiator fans to intake fresh air from the outside then the radiators will cool more efficiently and the components under the water blocks will be cooler but components (such as VRM) not under the water blocks will run warmer because you are now filling the interior of the case with warmed exhaust air.

All this really only matters if you have components that are running on the margin of being too hot. Otherwise, just order the loop components in the way that makes things the easiest with regard to building, access and maintenance. The only other issue to consider would be making sure that your reservoir is higher than the pump so that the pump does not run dry at any point in time and if your pump and reservoir are a single unit that takes care of itself.

Last edited:
Back