• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Junction and Package temps with GPU and CPU in new loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daw

Hello everyone,

I am new to this Forum but have built a couple custom loops before.

However I am having a problem with high temps in my new loop. I am getting a junction temp of 90c while gaming on my RX 5700 xt (This is with 1.16v and core at about 2080Mhz) and a package temp of about 90c on the 3700x at 4.2Ghz under load at 1.4v. The other temp measurements for the CPU and GPU sit at around 50c. This is with an ambient temp of about 26c.

Here is a list of the specs of the loop.
Rads: 240mm Black ice GTS radiator and 360mm EK PE rad with EK vardar fans on them
Pump/res: Bitspower D5 pump res combo
CPU block: EK vector AM4 block
GPU block: EK vector RX 5700 xt block
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic

I have remounted and repasted both the CPU and the GPU blocks. The loop has been drain and refilled several times, I have taken all the side panels off for better airflow. I don't think airflow is a problem because it is like a wind tunnel in the case and the radiators are cool to the touch. The pump is running at 4000 RPM and I am still getting these high temps. I really don't know what else to do. I have even changed out the pump.

If somebody can please give me some feedback on what to do, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 206958 View attachment 206957 View attachment 206956

What is 'under load' exactly? Prime 95? Gaming?

To be frank, I am not terribly surprised at the CPU temp. 1.4V on these isn't easy to cool for whatever reason. Does your 3700X really need 1.4V to be stable at 4.2 GHz? I have a dud 3700x and need 1.32-1.34V to keep it stable there. My chip hits 90C+ using the AIDA64 stress test at those settings. Different coolers really don't seem to make much of a difference on these CPUs.

As far as the GPU, not too much experience there, honestly, but I know they run hot too.

Thank you for the reply.

"Under Load" is Aida 64, it rockets to 90c. Honestly even just running Cinebench pushes the CPU to over 90c. The reason I am concerned about the temps is because it is very similar to the results I got with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 black and the stock GPU cooler. That doesn't seem right to me.
Looking at videos of other people liquid cooling the RX 5700 xt, they get junction temps of like 64c.

Same with my chip... it's under a 3x120mm corsair aio and hits the same temps but at less voltage. Seems like the larger loop is doing its job on the cpu considering your voltage.

Are you sure it needs that much voltage to be stable even at 4.2 ghz?

The million dollar question!!!

Are you actively cooling the VRM package area??

I remember many years ago, my M3A32 MVP wifi deluxe app solo came with a blower style fan that clipped onto the VRM heat sink and was cautioned to install with liquid cooling. See the stock coolers generally blow down and the VRMs get some of that airflow and keep a little cooler this way. With a waterblock, the VRMs can just get really hot. The heat is then transferred through the PCB to the cpu socket where it gets absorbed by the cpu.

Also, you could cool the backside of the cpu socket on the board. I've seen quite a few lads on this very forum rig their rigs up in this fashion. That also helps eliminate BTU transferred via PCB tracings. Heck I even heat sink my bios chips on older boards like socket A and 939. My guru chip gets sinked as well.

The larger higher TDP of 15w on the NB doesn't get hot really, but.... a small fan there may help also. Actively cool the memory.... also a plus when pushing on the volts. Some of that heat gets transferred through the MB PCB as well.

I've noticed with my smaller boards, a lot of heat is transferred between components. Especially the VRMs to CPU and visa versa.

The pictures show the top 2x120 rad blowing into the case above the vrm.

I don't imagine the old school methods like that are going to help much here as it is a capable VRM and robust heatsinks on the board. That said, airflow is odd in that case with seemingly the only intake through the radiator up top, in the warmed inside, out through the other radiator. Is there any fresh air entering there? Maybe that has something to do with it... no clue... :shrug:

I'd see if an intake fan on the rear would help and take off that filter on thhe 3x120 on the case since its exhaust.

EDIT: How much do the temps drop with the case side off?

Last edited:
Sorry E.D.!!

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

That's all I can see in his pictures. Can you fix it maybe?

(yes the old school methods work. How do you think I can air cool (stock cooler) a 2700X and run 1.4v+?)
Edit: I mean fan directly cooling VRMs....

Here's 2700X stock cooler. Fan on VRM is a AFB1212SHE Delta. (Cpu controlled)

This is not daily and temp was over 80c - I daily at 4.1Ghz auto voltage usually pins at 1.41v there abouts.
2700X Cinebench R15 XV.png

Last edited:
Thank you guys again for all the responses,

However I am pretty sure the VRM isnt the problem, it doesn't go much above 50c. There is a huge amount of air moving through the case and that motherboard has a crazy over built VRM.

I dropped the Voltage to 1.35v at the same core clock and the temps dropped a bit, but they still jump straight to 85c in a short load like Cinebench.

The temps didn't change when I took the side panels and stuff off.

It worries me that the GPU is also very hot. I have seen a bunch of videos where people drop the junction temp on their RX 5700 XT to like mid 60's on water. Mine sits in the 90s while gaming. It is similar to the stock blower cooler temps.

The GPU is also getting very hot.

It sounds like the blocks arent making good contact or the rads are clogged up. How does the tim spread look?
Was the loop clogged at all the last time the rads were run? Are the blocks hot to the touch where the fins are located?
How is your overall flow?

The flow rate is high. When I filled the loop water easily and quickly went around the whole system. It really didn't seem like there were any blockages.

The 360mm rad is new and wasn't in a loop before, the 240mm was in a previous loop which had great temps.

In terms of TIM, I did remount both blocks and the spread was good on both the CPU and the GPU. I can't really feel a lot of heat through the CPU block, but the back of the GPU gets very hot. What would heat on the blocks indicate?

That there may be a blockage in them. It sounds like that isnt the issue if your flow is good. All i can think of is that theres something going on with your block? Its a stretch but i cant think of anything else that it may be. You could try pointing a case fan towards the back of the gpu but that likely wont help much.
What are your idle temps like on the cpu and gpu?
Amd just released information regarding the high temps of the 5700 cards in that they may run as high as 120c. Ill try to find the article.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Its 110 not 120c

You're sure you're not confusing junction and edge temps?

"Just like on other recent AMD cards, the GPU reports a second temperature called "Hot Spot" or "Junction Temperature". While the temperature was at 92°C in the testing above, Hotspot reached 110°C. From what I can tell, the throttle point for Hotspot is set to 115°C in the BIOS." https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/32.html

If it's anything like a Vega, nobody is getting a Junction temperature of 64C under load. My Vega64 just broke 90C the hotspot (junction on Navi) while the GPU (edge on Navi) stayed at 51C. In fact all of my overclocks are unstable now that I added another radiator, which means I was likely encountering some sort of thermal limitation before. Will have to do more testing but I'm guessing, at least for Vega64, it was a boosting based on the "GPU temp" since my junction never hit 80C before.

Was there ever any resolution on the high junction temperature issues? I just recently completed my new build and unfortunately my 5700 XT is seeing the same problem. Under load (gaming or something like MSI Kombustor) the junction temperature skyrockets to 110 C even the edge temperature is settling around 55C.

Rather than reviving a dead thread, you might as well start a new one. In the new thread, please post full system specs, including case and fan placement (including the type of cooler / board partner that made your card). Also post what application you're using to monitor the temps. Don't run MSI Kombustor or FurMark, they will make your card throttle and are pretty pointless. However if you're seeing a tj of 110C playing an actual game or running a more realistic / game like benchmark such as Firestrike then it could be a problem. Although I have also heard of others having similar problems. You can try to see if temps are better with the side panel removed, as a test to see if you have adequate airflow in your case.

Rather than reviving a dead thread, you might as well start a new one. In the new thread, please post full system specs, including case and fan placement (including the type of cooler / board partner that made your card). Also post what application you're using to monitor the temps. Don't run MSI Kombustor or FurMark, they will make your card throttle and are pretty pointless. However if you're seeing a tj of 110C playing an actual game or running a more realistic / game like benchmark such as Firestrike then it could be a problem. Although I have also heard of others having similar problems. You can try to see if temps are better with the side panel removed, as a test to see if you have adequate airflow in your case.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll type up a new thread and get some pictures tonight once I'm home from work. I'll also make sure to try Firestrike as you suggested but I was getting similar temps in Borderlands 3 this weekend. The side panel is actually still off because I'm still working on cleaning up cables for aesthetics. My build is also my first water cooling attempt, hence my 110 C temperature concern. Thanks again and keep an eye out for that new post!

Back