• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 activation code bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I bought a used laptop close to 2 years ago with Win 7 Ultimate installed. For over a year not a problem. Then one day out of the blue I get a (cranky) message telling me that the copy of windows is not valid and to input a new activation code. While windows still seems to work fine the "not valid" message keeps popping up. Simply wont go away. And at startup it bugs me to input a new code before I can use the computer. But it still updates and works like normal. ??could I have contracted some odd malware/virus??

Now knowing who I bought the laptop from there is a (sad, but) real chance that he used a pirated copy of Win 7. I did try and buy a "valid code" locally off Craigslist. But that also proved to be bad.

Does any one know where I can acquire a truly valid activation code that does not cost a fortune. The web seems to be full of scam sites that claim to sell "valid" codes.

Aside from buying a real code. Is it feasible to find and use the code from a computer that died and was simply discarded by the owner.

Attachments

• Capturea.JPG
    Capturea.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
You may be able to get away with yelling at a microsoft rep. I remember having to call them about installing vista on multiple machines, I think the code allowed for 3 activations. Your argument is valid. You've had no issues for 2 years and all of a sudden there's a problem, WTF? Tell them THEY need to provide you with a new code, for FREE!

You may be able to get away with yelling at a microsoft rep. I remember having to call them about installing vista on multiple machines, I think the code allowed for 3 activations. Your argument is valid. You've had no issues for 2 years and all of a sudden there's a problem, WTF? Tell them THEY need to provide you with a new code, for FREE!

I can see you obviously don't work in customer service. The odds of being helped if you act like an *** to the rep the less likely you are to get helped.

The OP bought a used laptop with a license of software that they didn't purchase themselves. They don't have much ground at this point. The person who sold them the laptop may have re-used the code (who knows if it was an OEM or Retail code) causing the previous activation to be disabled.

I can see you obviously don't work in customer service. The odds of being helped if you act like an *** to the rep the less likely you are to get helped.

The OP bought a used laptop with a license of software that they didn't purchase themselves. They don't have much ground at this point. The person who sold them the laptop may have re-used the code (who knows if it was an OEM or Retail code) causing the previous activation to be disabled.

It's that obvious huh? I would still call customer service before I bought anything. And your right, being polite goes a long way towards getting what you want.

It's that obvious huh? I would still call customer service before I bought anything. And your right, being polite goes a long way towards getting what you want.

I don't disagree about calling their customer service before buying anything, I just didn't agree with your statement about yelling at a rep and demanding a code for free that the OP isn't entitled to whatsoever.

I don't disagree about calling their customer service before buying anything, I just didn't agree with your statement about yelling at a rep and demanding a code for free that the OP isn't entitled to whatsoever.

Do you agree with editing the registry of Auto Activation?

Why not simply do a complete format factory reset after backing up your personal files in order to make the laptop fully legally usable w/o problems again?

Do you agree with editing the registry of Auto Activation?

For the purpose of making a illegal copy of Windows legal, then we don't agree about editing the registry
and this becomes forbidden territory on OC Forums. Let's discuss valid options for activation please.

Although I was merely getting at turning the notification off, I understand. Does Microsoft even distribute windows 7 anymore?

Although I was merely getting at turning the notification off, I understand. Does Microsoft even distribute windows 7 anymore?

I don't think W7 is available from MS. I tried to buy it last year for a new install and couldn't find it so I settled
for a retail Windows 8.1. Still haven't installed it..................

Yeash 99$ for home, and 140$ for premium on newegg? OEM win 7 can only be activated on one computer, so using the code off a dead computer may not work. And codes you buy online will rarely be anything but a waste waste of money.

Are you getting a "non-genuine" pop up? Have you changed any hardware? Do you have a restore point before the incident?

Last edited:
Without knowing the laptop model, I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess that it's a standard laptop model from a big name (Dell, Lenovo, Asus, etc) that comes with a OEM installation of Windows 7. In which case, it's using a OEM license key for that brand, which can easily be found anywhere on the net for Windows 7. Any OEM license key will work, so long as it's the same manufacturer.

Of course, the easier method is to just call MS support and explain the situation. You don't have to tell them it's a used laptop, just like I'm sure most of us didn't tell the CS rep when we changed out everything, when we want to reactivate a OEM Windows 7 on new hardware. Right, my fellow OC'ers?

............ just like I'm sure most of us didn't tell the CS rep when we changed out everything, when we want to reactivate a OEM Windows 7 on new hardware. Right, my fellow OC'ers?

Pegger,

Surprisingly I went through that issue with a blown motherboard that couldn't be replaced because it was discontinued.
I called MS CS and they GAVE me a new key simply because I told them honestly what happened including my all new
hardware that wasn't compatible with my old board. It's an good example of being compensated for being perfectly truthful.

My brother has a Windows 7 laptop and when I factory reimage it, no code is needed to be input, you can also extract the key from that freshly reset laptop using a program like this:
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I am missing something here, is this an older laptop that needs to be activated even after a factory reset or a non-Windows laptop originally?

I bought a used laptop close to 2 years ago with Win 7 Ultimate installed. For over a year not a problem. Then one day out of the blue I get a (cranky) message telling me that the copy of windows is not valid and to input a new activation code.

I smell a rat. I never heard of a time-limited product key. Was Windows in trial mode all this time???

You shall never be told that your key expired!!

In trial mode, without a product key, Windows will work normally for up to 30 days.
Even Windows Update.

I never heard of a time-bomb key and that's unlikely unless you're using a beta!

An expiration almost always means you have a beta!

Last edited:
The Laptop originally had Vista on it (based on COA sticker on it).

It is very possible that the copy of Windows 7 that was installed was pirated. Or installed on another computer rendering mine invalid. ?
My hope is to find a truly valid code for $50 or less so I can upgrade to Win 10 for free. (Thought just hit me��) or even a cheap windows 8... or at minimum disable the annoying activation popups - but I do understand that knowledge may be taboo to share here.

- - - Updated - - -

I smell a rat. I never heard of a time-limited product key. Was Windows in trial mode all this time???

You shall never be told that your key expired!!

In trial mode, without a product key, Windows will work normally for up to 30 days.
Even Windows Update.

I never heard of a time-bomb key and that's unlikely unless you're using a beta!

An expiration almost always means you have a beta!

I never saw any indication of a beta copy.

I've posted this twice in this thread and I was hoping someone would correct me but does your laptop not have a factory image of Windows on it?
Can you not press a combination of keys to enter the factory restore mode and get legal Windows just as it was when laptop was bought brand new (Vista in your case)?

I am also sure that calling Micro$oft would be pointless at this point since i tried a diffent COA (ignorant of it being bad). So windows is now "using" that code. (Magicjellybean confermed that) I stupidly never wrote down the original COA.

I've posted this twice in this thread and I was hoping someone would correct me but does your laptop not have a factory image of Windows on it?
Can you not press a combination of keys to enter the factory restore mode and get legal Windows just as it was when laptop was bought brand new (Vista in your case)?

No it does not. And if it did it would be Vista. Pluss I am rather sure that the hard drive was upgraded to a larger one. (Based on given factory specifications for this model off of Toshiba's website)

Well if
A. You don't have the original drive.
B. You know Vista was installed on the original drive when it existed.

Getting Windows 7 or 8 would be like having no laptop and getting Windows 7 or 8, correct? You can't get Win7 or 8 for a factory Vista machine, correct? This may be heart breaking but unfortunately, there are no free upgrades from Vista to anything.

So this thread is now simple. Student pricing is probably the cheapest. If you have no access to that, then Black Friday is one week from now. Maybe there will be better deals than retail then. Or people can post legitimate stores and their pricing to help you and others.

But there's no honest way to get Windows 7/8 for a Vista machine by calling Microsoft, I think that part didn't seem to be clear above...

Back