• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990fx R1.0 (used but very good price) vs Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 (new)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After reading some reviews about BigWater 760 PRO I think h110i is better, isn't it?

I'd look at the swiftec 220x or the coolermaster seidon 240 as well they're all about the same performance as the kraken

View attachment 171608

Is it enough for:
1) fx-8350
2) Asus 280x v2 top
3) Sabertooth
4) Some water cooling (still have no idea which to buy)
?
I looked up reviews on this Psu, it seems to be a decent unit. My only issue is the age of it, from what I've looked at it's going on about 5 years old correct? You may want to consider replacing it with a quality 650w Psu or another 750w if you plan on adding another Gpu.

I looked up reviews on this Psu, it seems to be a decent unit. My only issue is the age of it, from what I've looked at it's going on about 5 years old correct? You may want to consider replacing it with a quality 650w Psu or another 750w if you plan on adding another Gpu.

Thank you for your time! Is it safe to wait while it dies, or is it dangerous for other components?

I just had an older one die, it was a real cheapy though.
a week in a hotel while the fire, smoke and water damage got repaired, one little suga bee that was so mad she became a salt wasp, yea, go ahead, run it..........

forgot to list the very highend autodesk/arnold/maya/nuke rig i put the cheap pos in while i thought about a better psu for it, 2 quadro 6000m's aint no small loss.

Last edited:
I'd look at the swiftec 220x or the coolermaster seidon 240 as well they're all about the same performance as the kraken

Thank you. I think I will go with swiftech 240-x.

Thanks again for all of you!

Thank you for your time! Is it safe to wait while it dies, or is it dangerous for other components?
What happens with Power supplies is the Capacitors usually go bad over time, especially if they are not quality components. From what I've read that Psu was a pretty good Psu for it's time, not the best but not something to worry about either. Now does this mean the caps will fail, no you may get a few more years out of it. One thing to note though, if it does go it could take the other components with it or worse as CD mentioned. My biggest issue is what you're running off of it. These Fx 8350 processors draw a whole lot of power when overclocked, which will be straining the Psu more then your average chip.

I just had an older one die, it was a real cheapy though.
a week in a hotel while the fire, smoke and water damage got repaired, one little suga bee that was so mad she became a salt wasp, yea, go ahead, run it..........

forgot to list the very highend autodesk/arnold/maya/nuke rig i put the cheap pos in while i thought about a better psu for it, 2 quadro 6000m's aint no small loss.

Yeouch! So is that in C/D's boneyard thread as well? :p

I second the good PSU. My 4 year old one bit the bullet last year, but it just stopped working. No more power to the PC. I got lucky. It could've taken my whole system. (I only ran that PC when I was in front of it luckily, something I will be returning to once I setup my custom loop)

My biggest issue is what you're running off of it. These Fx 8350 processors draw a whole lot of power when overclocked, which will be straining the Psu more then your average chip.

And this is why I always overspec what PSU to get.

I do not see any sense in figuring out exactly what it needs and going that route - This means if pushing things hard you're making the PSU work under max load period and that's bad on one. In some cases I've seen folks spec what they need on what it would take at stock, this also makes a PSU run close to it's max load capability all the time.

Makes sense to get something that won't be trying to run at full load all the time, that's really hard on a PSU or any component period and will guarantee a shorter life-span with it. I always overspec my builds with at least 200W over what I expect it to be demanding under a heavy load, makes the PSU run cooler and last longer plus it helps with Vdroop at times depending on the exact system it's used with.

I don't know why some people think running a larger PSU will make a setup use more electricity because it doesn't - All a PSU will do is deliver the amount of power the system is calling for at any given time, larger PSUs don't cram excess wattage into a system simply because it's larger in wattage capacity, things with PSUs don't work that way.
The only time it delivers larger amounts of power is if there is a demand for it.

If it is using more electricity because you set a larger PSU in, it's probrably because there's a demand for it from the system.

Agreed McCoy, I also do not feel a lot of users know how much power these Fx processors draw, especially when Oced!

And this is why I always overspec what PSU to get.

I do not see any sense in figuring out exactly what it needs and going that route - This means if pushing things hard you're making the PSU work under max load period and that's bad on one. In some cases I've seen folks spec what they need on what it would take at stock, this also makes a PSU run close to it's max load capability all the time.

Makes sense to get something that won't be trying to run at full load all the time, that's really hard on a PSU or any component period and will guarantee a shorter life-span with it. I always overspec my builds with at least 200W over what I expect it to be demanding under a heavy load, makes the PSU run cooler and last longer plus it helps with Vdroop at times depending on the exact system it's used with.

I don't know why some people think running a larger PSU will make a setup use more electricity because it doesn't - All a PSU will do is deliver the amount of power the system is calling for at any given time, larger PSUs don't cram excess wattage into a system simply because it's larger in wattage capacity, things with PSUs don't work that way.
The only time it delivers larger amounts of power is if there is a demand for it.

If it is using more electricity because you set a larger PSU in, it's probrably because there's a demand for it from the system.
Amen!
Agreed McCoy, I also do not feel a lot of users know how much power these Fx processors draw, especially when Oced!
+1

These chips really stress the board and PSU

Back