• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 vs SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It seems you are right Zebodog: I've check a few forums and it seems that many users have the APM/throttling issue with the UD5.

When ssjwizard and I were talking about his upgrading the recommended boards for FX processor we had to really make a note about how wonky all of Gigas Rev 3.0 boardds were doing. Users are waiting and waiting for a bios upgrade and I just don't believe they are going to get one for heavy use with FX processor.

Without the board being good for FX processors, there is little use to go to a weak UD5 REV3.0 just for sata 3 and usb 3.0
RGone...

When ssjwizard and I were talking about his upgrading the recommended boards for FX processor we had to really make a note about how wonky all of Gigas Rev 3.0 boardds were doing. Users are waiting and waiting for a bios upgrade and I just don't believe they are going to get one for heavy use with FX processor.

Without the board being good for FX processors, there is little use to go to a weak UD5 REV3.0 just for sata 3 and usb 3.0
RGone...

I read a lot of the posts in that thread over at overclock and most say the 1.1 is the good one, the 3.0 is the one with bios issues. I called Newegg and they're unable to confirm exactly which one they have. The picture shows a rev 1.0 but who knows. I want one of these boards to enjoy USB 3.0 and SATA III for right now and to be able to upgrade to an AM3+ chip farther down the line.

Looks like it's probably going to be a sabertooth unless I can confirm a rev 1.1

If you want read this post no.5907 look at the i/o panel, just read around that thread and make up your own mind. I personally can't recommend any gigabyte product anymore. If mobos, the backbone of a system are this bad on the AMD side I don't even want to think about the GPU side of giga....... Even I hate my UD3, and i can work with/tolerate just about anything, but this has too many probs.

PS: just found a beta bios for the UD3 (FDc). gonna flash it tomorrow and see what happens . if it goes pop maybe i can get something different

If you want read this post no.5907 look at the i/o panel, just read around that thread and make up your own mind. I personally can't recommend any gigabyte product anymore. If mobos, the backbone of a system are this bad on the AMD side I don't even want to think about the GPU side of giga....... Even I hate my UD3, and i can work with/tolerate just about anything, but this has too many probs.

PS: just found a beta bios for the UD3 (FDc). gonna flash it tomorrow and see what happens . if it goes pop maybe i can get something different

If anyone voluntarily purchases a Gigabyte board after seeing that picture and reading those posts please let me know as I have an oceanfront piece of property in Arizona that I think they would be interested in and I'd make sure they got a good deal. :D

Gigabyte is quickly falling from grace.

Tungureanu, Rgone, Ajay57, manu2b, zebodog I can't thank you all enough for taking the time. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Seems like most of the trouble is on th UD3 (the bent board for one lol) and the bios on the UD5 rev3.0. That AsRock extreme looks really nice and will work great when I upgrade the CPU. The Sabertooth r2 looks good too so thanks again :) :)

DatDirtyDawG, I don't think you got a response from a fanboy of any mobo in your thread. We may sound like fanboy's but we really are not. Asus just seems to have had the best top level boards until they released the Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0 GEN 3 board. Which now seems pulled from the shelves for some reason.

If were talking relatively low current draw and no huge heat output processors like many of the Intel processors are, you could run any of a large number of motherboards. That just is not so for AMD FX processors to date when "really" pushed. Luck to you man.
RGone...

I'll pitch in for the Sabertooth gen2 R2 this is one rock solid board IMHO. I've flashed it many times. Had every voltage up to Toopidity and Beyond and still keeps rolling along with me. If anything I'll break my chip before this board.

Guess I should have stuck my head in here sooner!

Johan great job on the other thread, looks like cooling is king with the 8350, and for the Asrock Mobo just mentioned that. As i saw RGone post about it lately! AJ. ;):salute:

DatDirtyDawG, I don't think you got a response from a fanboy of any mobo in your thread. We may sound like fanboy's but we really are not. Asus just seems to have had the best top level boards until they released the Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0 GEN 3 board. Which now seems pulled from the shelves for some reason.

If were talking relatively low current draw and no huge heat output processors like many of the Intel processors are, you could run any of a large number of motherboards. That just is not so for AMD FX processors to date when "really" pushed. Luck to you man.
RGone...

I'll pitch in for the Sabertooth gen2 R2 this is one rock solid board IMHO. I've flashed it many times. Had every voltage up to Toopidity and Beyond and still keeps rolling along with me. If anything I'll break my chip before this board.

Guess I should have stuck my head in here sooner!

Johan great job on the other thread, looks like cooling is king with the 8350, and for the Asrock Mobo just mentioned that. As i saw RGone post about it lately! AJ. ;):salute:

I read your posts on motherboards for an FX processor where you specifically address the UD5 Rgone, read all the craziness with the bios on the UD5 Rev 3.0 in the overclock forums and based on everyone's non fanboy feedback in this post, the UD5 despite pretty much the exact same specs seems to be riddled with bios and who knows how many other issues.

It's a wrap. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 it is. (now I almost wanna splurge for the ASUS Crosshair V Formula but 240 bux is just ridonkulous...not to mention an insult to the board by putting a 1090T in it lol) Thanks again ;)

Last edited:
Well, after a few readings on bad experience with UD3/5,rev 3.0, my purchase make me feel better!

Based on the advice and opinions of these boards I bought a Sabertooth 990fx R2, and I gotta agree with Johan45, I can see a lot of other things failing before these board does. I have seen good reviews on this board everywhere, and when it comes to the top ten lists this board is on them all. The BIOS is good, I flashed mine to the latest as soon as it was up and I know that if anything fails in here it won't be the board. With the buttons on the board for RAM, etc its almost foolproof, so if you get to far gone its a push of a button to get it all back to where it was. The Asus Suite that comes with it is suspect and a waste of drive space and cpu cycles. But the board is top shelf.

Well it's done! Despite originally just wanting the board and re-using my PhenomII 1090T I ended up just getting an FX-8350 after all. It was on sale for 179.99 and I said the hell with it. The system runs awesome now. My SSD is now running at the speed it should under SATA III and this board/cpu is excellent. I gave it a slight OC to test the waters (only at 4.2GHz) and it's perfect. My goal is a stable, 24/7 speed of 4.8GHz. Not looking to squeeze it every drop out of it, just want a good OC but with plenty of headroom for stability

My goal is a stable, 24/7 speed of 4.8GHz. That might be just a shade higher than you can reach 24/7 with H80i Closed Loop Cooler. More likely 4.6 fully stable. I would not get my hopes up and then if you get 4.8Ghz, just consider yourself very lucky and then enjoy. Getting cool air to and thru the radiator is a must. However I see you have two cards in SLI in your case and they certainly add heat to the case.
RGone...

4.8GHz....might be just a shade higher than you can reach 24/7 with H80i Closed Loop Cooler. More likely 4.6 fully stable.....I see you have two cards in SLI in your case and they certainly add heat to the case.
RGone...

I won't run it 24/7 on a literal sense, what I meant was more like what you said "fully stable." I typically shut it down every night so I run it anywhere from 4 hours to 12 hours per clip. Sometimes, if I'm uploading videos I'll run it for 2 or 3 days.

And yes as you pointed out those two video cards generate a ton of heat and as such I have my H80i fans set on exhaust. I know you said it's important to get cool air running through that radiator but I have warm air going through it as it's a mixture of the heat generated in the case and cool air intake from 2 ea 250mm side mounted fans, I use this case: Xclio Windtunnel

So you think I'm shooting too high at 4.8? I guess I thought it that was a reasonable number as I've seen lot's of folks hitting 5+ (don't know how stable...)

With this very same set up I ran my 1090T from 3.2GHz to 4GHz barely breaking a sweat so I just figured with the 8350 I would be able to achieve a similar % increase of stock/OC

I run mine at 4.74 and its very stable, no issues at all, but I am running 9 fans with an h100 and 4 of those fans are push/pull as exhaust for the rad on it. But then again I am only running one vid card and my processor is cooler from the start then yours, maybe time to look at a bigger rad?

My goal is a stable, 24/7 speed of 4.8GHz. That might be just a shade higher than you can reach 24/7 with H80i Closed Loop Cooler. More likely 4.6 fully stable. I would not get my hopes up and then if you get 4.8Ghz, just consider yourself very lucky and then enjoy. Getting cool air to and thru the radiator is a must. However I see you have two cards in SLI in your case and they certainly add heat to the case.
RGone...

So you think I'm shooting too high at 4.8? I guess I thought it that was a reasonable number as I've seen lot's of folks hitting 5+ (don't know how stable...)

With this very same set up I ran my 1090T from 3.2GHz to 4GHz barely breaking a sweat so I just figured with the 8350 I would be able to achieve a similar % increase of stock/OC

My suggestion. If you want to see how hot the full system will get under load. Go to this thread and install F@H that thread will guide you through. Folding will utilize the CPU and both GPU's to 100% and kick out a ton of heat. This is what I use to find hot spots in my case/cooling

What if Steamroller is not supported on AM3+ socket?
Or what if a new chipset is released along with Steamroller?

unless you need USB3 or Sata 3 today, I don't see the point.

And what if the term "what if" was completely erased from every language known to man. Too many hypothetically based "what if" statements or other excuses for not upgrading because of the so called new platforms that will be coming out. And in this case, the evidence is in favor of SR actually being compatible with AM3+. And even if it is not, the DDR3 could also be obsolete and then again PCIe 3.0 could finally benefit an enthusiast. Prhaps the new AMD graphics solutions will lead to powerful graphics and support for 4k and also PCIe 3.0 and system memory requirements might be DDR4.

What if, What if, What if? Sorry if my very first post as a newbie seems inappropriate but I think it fits right in with the mood and expression felt when reading the messages from you. If I do not interpret your motives correctly, I do apologize but I actually joined this forum just because someone should tell you how to give a respectful, meaningful, and helpful reply to a gentleman who was really looking for some good input. And in translation to something he said to you: Clearly if you have nothing nice to say, then do not say anything at all.

Man I hate to even make a post like this because I am also researching the same motherboards and want to make an informed decision. Even opinions from you are baseless with no real thought whatsoever. Just a mindset you have and then a reaction rather than a response.

Just about every computer user today will want to have USB 3.0 and SATA III available on their system these days. I have an AM2 motherboard with a Phenom 9550 and 8GB DDR2 memory. I am not waiting to see what AMD will decide regarding SR before I upgrade to an FX CPU and decent quality motherboard with SATA III and USB 3.0.

Even if Steamroller is 10% or 15% faster I can be just as content with my new Sabertooth 990FX and FX 8300 overclocked to 4.8 as the one who waits for the SR for that performance increase. I would support the Sabertooth over the Gigabyte board because of warranty and also the testing of these board reveals that ASUS Sabertooth 990FX overclocks better and more stable.

Contrary to what many people have claimed, Gigabyte's best board is NOT the UD3. Not even the UD5. The UD7 has the most options with the most capability. But even choosing the one most pracatical to rival the Sabertooth 990FX will not be as good even if for a couple more USB ports or even a PCIe slot. Most people do not max out the slots on motherboards anyway and unless using several 2 or 3 space video cards in SLI or Crossfire, the most practical and best option is by far the Sabertooth.

Stay away from Gigabyte boards is the phrase I hear so many people say. Although I think they are quite good, they do not rival the ASUS equivelants. Not by any stretch. I would by an ASRock before a Gigabyte but if the choice is to be made for which motherboards are best for the AM3+ platform, I would prefer ASUS, MSI, ASRock, THEN P I G A Byte. Yes, I said Pigabyte. Overpriced like many Asus boards but at least Asus can convince people there is a good enough reason for the high prices in many cases. Although I think ROG boards do NOT justify higher pricing. The Sabertooth outperforms even the Crosshair V Formula Z in testing. It cools and overclocks better than ROG as well.

But remember that even if someone can show you a board will perform better, don't forget some are full of knowledge and know how to manually tune a system. But out of the box I think Gigabyte is never any good. Asus can give you a powerful yet versatile board out of the box. Bios updates and seamless integration with approved hardware for Asus where as the Gigabyte's hardware compatibility is not very thorough and I have reas some hardware that Gigabyte claims is compatible, but will fail when in the hands of system integrators. After several calls to support, and complicated bios flash backs to earlier revisions, some of the Gigabyte issues are resolved. This is not acceptable for the average user and probably not even for experts alike.

Since you were so arrogant stating you already gave 2 opinions to the gentleman who asked the question, I decided to share mine. Even if not a desireable read, at least my opinion has alot of details and reasons why I feel the way i do. If anything is not comlplete I am very willing to cordially answer any questions. I think I just wanted to write something real even if it was a long drawn out effort. My final opinion is of you but unlike the evasive manner some people have by not being blunt and honest to actually say these words, I will take the chance and say them anyway. "I really do not like you" and I will also end this sentence in the same manner as the inital messages in this thread. LOLOLOLOL. Yes alot of LOL's here.

Me? Newbie, first post ever, a practical thinker and not tolerant of arrogance but will try to be for the sake of respecting others. I am sorry if my post is bothersome. It will not happen again and I won't make long posts like this again either.

Peace to all!:bang head

@ tteksystems. Welcome to OCF. In a way a breath of fresh air with the use of sentences and punctuation. However let me make a minor suggestion. I can read reading. I see what you are writing, but I fear it may appear that you singled out a user by name and then ranted on him. I suspect that to be not too forum friendly. Yes, oh yes, I saw you say it was first and last. Good deal.

I do agree that often we only get opions without any background either for the personal reasoning or a technical reason. However I see that in forum after forum. I spend at least 60% of my time when searching for a real helpful answer, in culling the BS. I do a lot of searching and especially so on the less than much used motherboards. Getting to a real piece of helpful information is often hard to find. Opinions are like noses in that we all have one; as the old saying goes.

Those of us that have wanted a heavy-duty, overclockable motherboard with discrete video are at a big cross-roads in time and technology and cpu supplier. The HiPo DIY system intergrator is being told by AMD to go APU or, or what? Go Intel I suppose until Intel gets too expensive to use at all.

I am older than many would suspect and I like many older folks, get set in their ways. Well we do. I want a cpu that can be overclocked and adjusted readily by the bios of my motherboard. I wish for more than just raise the multiplier and add Vcore and job done. That is about all Intel hands us in an inexpensive manner. I don't like that but neither am I in agreement with an APU and no L3 cache which is what we get with an AMD apu, even if their APU has pretty hefty onboard video now. So honestly I do not know what I will do in the near future should I need to upgrade my current Video editting rig.

I have a 1.6 year old Asus CHV non-z board and an FX-8350 that I do my video editting at 4.8Ghz (awesome cooling) and it easily out performs my 4 core with Hyperthreading Intel rig that is at 4.0Ghz. Yes my Intel rig is an older socket 1156 but for everything but my video editting, it does all I need. So it stays.

Software is far behind the hardware technology as I am lead to believe. With the current focus on benches that are single core IPC sensitive, AMD often seems left in the dust and I fear they are leaving me in the dust due my preference for cpu and discrete video card and bios adjustments for other than multiplier and Vcore overclocking. Socket 2011 will give me what I want but at a premium.

For those that like to tweak and play I still suggest the FX series of processor and a one of about 5 best suggestable motherboards. If their only concern is gaming, sadly I make a quiet suggestion to just get an Intel rig and some heavy duty video card.

We truly are at a big direction change on the horizon. Older things and ideas are passing away, it would seem. I can use my FX-8350 for at least a couple of more years as I see it and glad to have it. I am not a died in the wool or through and through gamer so I can get by without the greater IPC of Intel and still do what I need at a reasonable price point. Over the next year I will investigate the AMD APU and see if they are holding their own in their place of overall best use.

Until then I will make do nicely and have a little tweaking fun with my adjustable FX cpu.

If you get you an 8 core FX get you some serious cooling and enjoy.
RGone...

Back