• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 30amp on the 5v rail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
I need a psu with at least 30amp on the 5v rail, anyone have and idea. I don't want to spend much and don't mind buying a used psu.
Right now I just want to see whats all out there. I'm guessing that anything new will be like some crazy big 850w+ psu and I only need like 500w max.

Most modern ATX PSU put the amps on the 12V, with not much on the 5V (I'm talking just a couple of amps). Older AT PSU put more on the 5V then the 12V, but even then, I don't recall any with 30A on the 5V except maybe server models.

Any reason why couldn't go with a 5V power supply other then a computer PSU?

Most modern ATX PSU put the amps on the 12V, with not much on the 5V (I'm talking just a couple of amps). Older AT PSU put more on the 5V then the 12V, but even then, I don't recall any with 30A on the 5V except maybe server models.

Any reason why couldn't go with a 5V power supply other then a computer PSU?
I thought about it, but I don't have the room or want the trouble of wireing everything. I'm putting together a dual 462 system and one of the cpu's get their power from the 5v rail. My psu only puts out 24amps on the 5v rail witch is cutting it close.

The cpus pulls about 65ish watts and after you take into account vrm/mosfet efficiency your getting close to 80ish watts with just the cpu.

It'll be hard to find one nowadays.
I was lucky that OaklahomaWolf here had a Silverstone ST56ZF, which I bought from him for my dual Pentium 3 server.

Mr.Scott might know of a place that you can find some, but other than scouring ebay for quality units or other sites I'm not sure where to find them.

Maybe a local scrap yard or electronics recycling depot? Local high school? They might have some old PSU's that they can part with. Talk to the computer tech teachers there perhaps. I was on quite good terms with my computer tech teacher so I had access to all sorts of goodies back then.

Last edited:
I have seen a few sea sonic units on ebay with 30amps, but they are older OEM one's.

I thought about it, but I don't have the room or want the trouble of wireing everything. I'm putting together a dual 462 system and one of the cpu's get their power from the 5v rail. My psu only puts out 24amps on the 5v rail witch is cutting it close.

The cpus pulls about 65ish watts and after you take into account vrm/mosfet efficiency your getting close to 80ish watts with just the cpu.

Whatcha puttin' together? :)

Whatcha puttin' together? :)

A daul 462 system. Asus a7m266-d, 3gb, ram fx5950 and hopefully a pare of 2800+. If I can't get the 2800+ to work I will be using a pare of 1800+ I have allrady.
Also I have 4 60mm,1 80mm fan, pci sound card, pci-x sata card, and a wd raptor hdd.

Right now I'm working on modding the bios in hopes to alow me to use 4 1 gig sticks of ram Along with some other stuff.

Last edited:
A daul 462 system. Asus a7m266-d, 3gb, ram fx5950 and hopefully a pare of 2800+. If I can't get the 2800+ to work I will be using a pare of 1800+ I have allrady.
Also I have 4 60mm,1 80mm fan, pci sound card, pci-x sata card, and a wd raptor hdd.

Right now I'm working on modding the bios in hopes to alow me to use 4 1 gig sticks of ram Along with some other stuff.

You have my attention. :)
Here's mine.

K7D.JPG

MSI K7D Master L
2 2800+ @ 2.6 cooled by 2 TT Volcano 7's
2 512's of Corsair @ 2-2-2-5

You have my attention. :)
Here's mine.

View attachment 172870

MSI K7D Master L
2 2800+ @ 2.6 cooled by 2 TT Volcano 7's
2 512's of Corsair @ 2-2-2-5

And mine. How original... :bang head lol , Good board :thup:

I replaced the capacitors on mine, and now I run a pair of 2200 MP chips at a 2600 rated speed. (150 fsb instead of 133) and I love the setup.

Attachments

• b70b46d4cf89058266a907bc69865fe0.jpg
    b70b46d4cf89058266a907bc69865fe0.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 715
Nice voodoo Scott, nice system too.
But can we get back on topic?

Nice voodoo Scott, nice system too.
But can we get back on topic?
Sure. My rig runs and benches on all three of the PSU's I have listed. Your machine will be no different in it's requirements. The first one is 25a on the 5v rail, the other two are 30a.

Coolermaster V850
PCP&C 750 Silencer Quad
OCZ 600 SXS

Thank you, dose your motherboard also power one of the 2 CPUs via 5v?

Just checked my PCP&C 750 Silencer Quad its 30a on 5v ^ Mr.Scott covered it though. Great psu

It'll power BOTH CPU's in your case, Mr.Scott's case and my case.

These old CPUs used the 5v rail heavily. New CPU's use the 12v rail.

I think it was socket 934 that CPU's began using 12v rails?
Is that right Scott?

The processors on this board use the 12v rail mostly, but do need the 5v bump for some odd reason. I had a low 5v rail unit on this before and had a hard time booting running two processors even at stock.

These old CPUs used the 5v rail heavily. New CPU's use the 12v rail.

I think it was socket 934 that CPU's began using 12v rails?
Is that right Scott?
Actually it was sometime during the Socket A (462) days.

Back