• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PC locks up during gaming with R9 390X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got my 390x back, installed, and benched with fur mark. It's working amazing, runs at much more reasonable temperatures (idle of 35-50°C and load of 73°C instead of idle of 70-80°C on the 290X) Havent had a single hang or bsod since.

I have also become convinced that part of my issue was the CPU overheating even though I didn't overclock it simply due to the inadequate aftermarket cooler. Looking at that thing the silver aluminum contact base doesn't cover the entire surface area of the processor and it doesn't have heat pipes. Kind of dumb for me to put it on there. :bang head

I think when my card gets back and with a better cooler my issue should go away completely.
Did you look at temperatures at all? I assumed they were OK since you didn't mention it...

Doesn't your board have integrated graphics? Why not use it and see what temps you are reaching? If not, do you have a cheap (read: Any) GPU laying around so you can see what your temps are?

Last edited:
Hey dog, yea I looked at the cpu temps while monitoring the gpu, but unfortunately since I was so focused on the card I didn't pay as much attention as I should have to the cpu temps in the short period of time I had. I could only monitor safely for about twenty minutes before the freezes in gaming, but since the machine was locking up so unexpectedly the temp monitoring apps would crash and not log files.

Really looking at the cooler before I scrapped it I knew it was a total waste of money and it just made sense the CPU would overheat. I could slap a stock cooler on it right now and try to monitor since I have my card back, but I don't feel like wasting my time or TIM so I'm going to wait on the liquid tomorrow. When I put it all together everything should in theory run alright since the hardware is good.

Well all the evidence is pointing that way. I just want to note that I did monitor CPU temps during prime95 with that old cooler and they were just OK. It was during gaming itself I really couldn't monitor them too much since I would never when it would freeze. Sometimes it would only be 10-15 min. into gaming while others it could take up to 35 min. before it totally froze.

Gaming temps are a lot less than any p95 test. If they were"just ok" in p95, they would be fine gaming...

Perhaps it's your vrms getting toasty?

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone who took the time to participate, I know it can be frustrating trying to help someone else troubleshoot when we're working with limited information. Alas, it is time to close this thread out since the issue has been resolved.

It turned out to be a CPU temp issue and shrimptastic wins a point this round. When I put the liquid on the processor all symptoms went away. The gpu I got back from Asus is running fine so all is well now :D.

Back