• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS AI 3 Good Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaulZeN

Registered
All the reviews and forum entries seem to be critical of AI 3, so I thought I would post a good use.

There almost seems to be a dogma that you have your computer permanently overclocked with a high voltage, through the BIOS, running 24/7 and rock solid stable by testing with Prime95 indefinitely. This will limit your overclock for practical use, need high volts and isn’t probably needed for the common man.

I’ve tested stability and applied my settings using my main program of need, running it at high usage, and then playing some video at the same time to boost the CPU load. For some reason VLC with an AVCHD video places a strain on the system and is good for testing in addition to application.

Enough back story, on to AI 3. If you do your initial settings in the BIOS to get things going for your best overclock, you can save that as a profile in in AI 3, and then go back to the BIOS and wind the multiplier, CPU cache and volts back down to low values for start up. The idea is that when you turn the computer on, it is running at low power for normal use. Then if you need the power, load the setting in AI 3 and it will run overclocked for when you need it.

Some people have reported that AI 3 takes priority, but I have found that no matter what the last profile was loaded or setting used for overclocking in AI 3, it always defaults back to BIOS settings when restarted.

When I start up, the CPU is 100 X 36, 36 CPU Cache Ratio at 1.100 which is standard. Then I can load profiles for X 40 through to my max usable at X 46, 46 Cache, 1.32v which will run my main application at high load but not much else.

Fan Xpert 2 is great for tuning but will reset after BSOD to default. Profiles can be saved and loaded for different needs to keep the computer cooling as quiet as possible.

For reference my processes:
F5 reset, CPU level up 4600 (not to have a fixed voltage when overclocking), BIOS tunes itself and then restarts.
BIOS settings CPU Level up OFF, XMP, 45 Ratio, 45 Min/Max Cache Ratio, 1.285v, Multicore OFF, Spread OFF. (Good for performance/stability/volts and heat balance)
AI 3 save profile, back to BIOS and set 36 Ratio, 36 Min/Max Cache Ratio, 1.1v.

Create, test and save other profiles in AI for different ratios:
X 40, 1.096v
X 46 1.322v

I hope someone finds this helpful

4770K - Maximus Gene VI – Apogee Drive 2 - 45lt Water Reservoir - No Fans - No Rads

Last edited:
AI Suite isn't bad soft but it requires "perfect" environment to work good. Not all users know how to install and use it right so you see various bad reviews. Personally I don't like it but it's still handy for overclocking. When I set my PC for 24/7 work then I never use software as it's always installing useless services and can crash.
ASUS is never making all right till the end. There are always things that could be fixed and are clear programming/designing flaws. Before they're fixed, ASUS moves to new product and forget about all that could be fixed in older version for older hardware. It's actually normal considering it would be unnecessary cost for them. On the other hand you can see that support for some products ( except RMA ) is not existing in ~6-8 months after release unless it's ROG series product.

Interesting to see the different views, and cautionary tales.

I purchased and had my system built 2 and half years ago with the intent to water cool but had enough power and didn’t bother. Then a few months ago needed more CPU and had the intention of just water cooling, which helped, but then started overclocking.

I had to dig out my original CD to install AI 3, as it wasn’t on the site for the Maximus Gene VI; which annoyed me a bit. My search for reviews and guides on AI 3 resulted in almost venomous comments everywhere for AI 3 and ASUS in general.

My experience with ASUS service here in Australia has been fantastic and as a result have numerous ASUS products; G73jh Gaming Laptop, a netbook, Taichi 21 and the Maximus Gene VI.

It could be that I don’t know any better, but I haven’t had any significant issues apart from the lack of support drivers for the Taichi to upgrade past windows 8.0.

AI 3 has been solid for the task that I described above, and for the user that doesn’t have the time or interest in serious overclocking, it would give a nice option for some easy extra performance.

4770K - Maximus Gene VI – Apogee Drive 2 - 45lt Water Reservoir - No Fans - No Rads

If you set your OC in bios then using offset mode with all the power saving turned back on, you can accomplish exactly what you use AISuite3 for. Then you don't need extra software. The PC will start with a low multi and ` 0.9v then ramp up when necessary. Then when at idle again it will ramp down. No need to play with profiles. AISuite3 is definitely better that II but I wouldn't have it on a 24/7 machine.

I don’t want to sound like someone who complains and is computer illiterate, however it is difficult to just one day decide to overclock and use Google as your guide. There is no overclocking for dummies, which is understandable with numerous motherboards and CPUs from different generations. Much of the information assumes you have a degree in computer studies, or just says increase the volts and ratio.

I went to the ASUS downloads and only found the AI 3 USB 3.0 for the Maximus Gene VI, which only had the USB 3.0 installer in the download and nothing else. Other boards had AI 3, which I could have downloaded, but thought I could be tempting fate as they may be matched for the board.

Replies to this thread are great, as they form a good direction for others that like me one day start from point zero and muddle their way to overclocking. In a couple of years I will be the same again when this system dies and the process begins again.

It's not so bad PaulZen, really. I know it can be intimidating in the BIOS but for the most part you will only be making a few changes. There's a fairly straightforward guide right here at Overclockers. Here's the link http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/
Have a read through, try it out and report back. There are always people around to give you a hand and offer some guidance. I see you're from the other side of the world so timing may not always be the best. If you ever get stuck and your PC won't start don't panic just reset the BIOS with the CLRMOS you'll find details in the manual. I find though that most ASUS boards are pretty forgiving. If you just turn the power switch off then wait 30 seconds till the board power drains. Turn it back on and it'll start into BIOS with a failed OC message.

Excellent, thanks for the link and supportive post.

When I have the time I will step through the guide, which looks great to wring a few extra power units out of the set up.

I’ve had a good run with only freezes and BSODs which have been easily fixed with lower settings.

I had a search but couldn’t find out if the type of failure indicates which area to boost or reduce. Does the BSOD message indicate a specific failure, as opposed to a freeze when the CPU load increases?

The weather is cooling and my reservoir has dropped to 24 C from 27 C, does a temperature difference make much of a difference for overclocking or just for staying under max values?

Thanks…

Typically a BSOD will have an error code pointing toward the problem, probably all related to low voltage for speed in this case but hard to say without adequate testing. As for temps, they can make a huge difference depending on how big the delta is. If you dropped that res temp to 10c that would definitely give more cooling headroom.

I don’t want to sound like someone who complains and is computer illiterate, however it is difficult to just one day decide to overclock and use Google as your guide. There is no overclocking for dummies, which is understandable with numerous motherboards and CPUs from different generations. Much of the information assumes you have a degree in computer studies, or just says increase the volts and ratio.

Johan45 beat me to it with the link. We have lots of Overclocking For Dummies here on OC. Trust me. I am one. LOL

Johan45 beat me to it with the link. We have lots of Overclocking For Dummies here on OC. Trust me. I am one. LOL

The only thing is different motherboards have different options, and in some cases, different names. For instance, my saberkitty uses a totally different name for input voltage, and many people here were like "wtf are you talking about?!" when i mentioned it. ALSO, the freaking sabertooth has a metric butt ton of options that I still have no idea what they do. I literally have like 30 voltage controls. OC an AMD chip is infinitely easier, and i sincerely wish intel would follow suit.

If everything was standardized, the process would be far simpler. There is more variation on the intel side of the fence (at least until Zen processors come out), so it makes it less cut and dry as amd as well.

AI Suite works? Sure. Is it as efficient as a manual bios overclock? No. I find it puts in WAY more voltage than I can dial in myself, but thats pretty understood typically. Sometimes, its the other case. It also doesn't manipulate LLC settings, so you could theoretically get a much lower voltage if youre not having to combat voltage drooping.

You have to be the only person that says amd overclocking is easier than intel...it's literally multi, vcore and go! :)

If you were speaking of nomenclature only, different boards on the amd side call a potato a potatoe too...?

You have to be the only person that says amd overclocking is easier than intel...it's literally multi, vcore and go! :)

If you were speaking of nomenclature only, different boards on the amd side call a potato a potatoe too...?

Intel just seems more finnicky. Maybe its the particular combinations I used *shrug*. OC 4790k on the sabertooth is far more irritating to do than FX 8320 + sabertooth for me. Then again, I won the silicon lottery with the 8320, and my 4790k is just a mediocre chip lol.

Back