• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer acting strange

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So I was installing Kaspersky on a client's computer when it froze up. So I restarted it and then windows said it had to repair. So I clicked that and then it said it cannot repair whatever happened. What happened and why? I did buy ddr3-2400 ram cause the MB said it could handle it. When I got home I realized the cpu (i3-4170) said that nothing over ddr3-1600 would work. Well when I installed it and got the pc up and runnin everything worked fine and continued to work fine until today. I asked in a thread on this site if that memory would be ok and you guys said it would be fine and not to worry bout it. Could the memory be the problem? I'm reinstalling now and hope all is well.

Try mem86 test, to test the memory. Also try prime95 blend or windows memory test.

Last edited:
What frequency is your RAM actually running at? What it's rated for doesn't mean it's running at that frequency. What did the motherboard bios set it to? Go into bios and check that. An i3 will not likely be stable when running RAM at 2400 mhz. At least not unless you give the IMC some voltage kick. Unstable RAM will corrupt the OS.

Set everthing back to default in bios (hit F5 key when in bios) and try to boot into Windows again and if it will not let you, try the repair again. When the CPU or RAM overclock is unstable a repair may not work.

Last edited:
The bios says the ram is running at 1200. Well, I fixed it for now. Had to reinstall windows and kaspersky. If it happens again, I'll switch out the ram. I have 8gb of 1600 ram sittin around.

Running the same so far.. No crash in 24 hrs.. Can't run prime95 on it cause it's the crappy stock heatsink and gets to 70c in 2 min.. Gotta find a $30 or under heatsink that will fit in the Corsair Spec-02.

For the record, 70C is WELL under the processors limit (100C - we say to stay under 90C while stress testing). I doubt it will climb 20C more.

What is Tcase then? I thought it was the same thing.. Yes, I have lot to learn. Ok nvm, just looked it up. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
So I just ran prime95 small fft's and it hit 90c in under 2 min. and was continuing to rise quickly. Definately will need a better heatsink.

It looked pretty well mounted to me.. Maybe I used too much TP.. It is low 20's idle and 60's in games

This i3-4170 isn't overclockable, but I did make sure my friend got a good oc'ing MB and a 2 yr warranty on the MB and CPU just in case she would want to go to an i5-4690k someday.
I don't think a 212 would fit in her case, (Corsair Carbide Spec-02).

My point was that even with the stock intel cooler, there is no way it should be getting that hot.

Back