• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good news/Bad news.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I've been complaining about my farm failing for some time now. I have a number of used 7970's and 280x's that were used for bit coin prior to me folding with them. One by one they have been failing. This weekend I was updating the base machines that make up my farm and ran into more issues with my "workstation" rig. It turns out that not only are the PCIe slots failing, but so too are the SATA ports. I have it limping along for right now.

The good news is (hopefully) that several of my *dead* GPUs are actually OK. Fortunately I have not gotten rid of any card that I have not verified as dead. Once I sort things out this fall, I should be in OK shape and ready to add to what I have.

Keep on it Don. I noticed from other threads you have a few youngsters barking at your heels. Give'em what fer!

Well, I can report that all of my machines are updated to Windows 10 64 bit. I've also started to sort my hardware. One project that I'd like to complete before winter is to relocate my farm. I'll have to mount a new board on the wall and then re mount all of the shelving and my rack. I'll also have to run two dedicated electric circuits.

The issue is that my farm is located in the same area that I'd like to build my office. The farm is too loud and too hot. I'll move the farm in the basement underneath a portion of the house that I can't ever get enough heat to in the winter. This could resolve two issue at the same time.

don, I hate to bring this up, but..... uhhhhhhhhh..... it might be a good time to start a little updating.
for gpus the ppd/watt ratio has improved somewhat and if you really need the heat you can just feed them with an amd 8350 and still stay nice and toasty.

I plan to use my current stock until they die. They no longer have any resale value. I'm also starting to budget for at least one 1080 but at $700, I have to save up or the wife will become a widow by her own hands. I will say that this weekend we will pull the trigger on buying new windows for the house which will then start to define how much I have to spend and therefore when I can afford the upgrade.

Hey don256us...I'll bottle up some of the Florida humidity and mail it to you.

You can open it in the winter when your space heaters aren't cutting it!

:D

I hear you about the saving part! I buy a GTX 1080 FTW...and then I have to buy my wife new family room furniture!!!!!

Yeah!

$700 on the card...$3,500 on furniture!

I had to save 6 to 1 for this one!

:D

that's the way they work.
me, I have, shop shoes, house slippers, fancy go to meeting shoes, that makes three.
my little bee... nooooooooooooo, more like Imelda marcos, the floor and shelves in the dressing closet are covered with HER shoes, she even has a thingy that attaches to the back of the door called a shoe tree!!!!!!

Are you saying that shoes grow on trees? How am I supposed to take you seriously?

We have chairs and couches that show up at our house. The last set I told her she'd have to find stuff to take out before I'd bring the new stuff in. It's not even new stuff. Not dumpster stuff either. Exellent condition "period" stuff. I'm sure it costs us plenty. She does sell some of what she brings home for a profit so I have no room to complain.

When we went shopping for a new dinning room set (when we were still poor) I figured on $1,000 to $1200. When we went to the store, it jumped up to a possible $1800. When she settled on the $700 set I was relieved but we bought a bedroom set too for a total of $2300. I'm not sure how it happened but it did. She is a shrude negociator for sure. I love her dearly.

Now to plan on the new card. :muahaha:

Back