• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a memory issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Made a new PC (so ignore one in sig at the moment).

Running a

Gigabyte Z170
6600k owith Evo 212 cooler
GTX 1070.

I had ordered laptop memory by mistake, so went to best buy and got some
PNYAnarchy 8x2 ram.

Now im Oced @ 4.2 @ 1.35v. @ 4.5 I was failing a worker in prime, so i went to 4.4, but i started getting freezing issues. Not during prime, or during a game ever. But..from just loading windows once, browsing on chrome..or even just sitting on desktop overnight. Not too often (less than once per day).

So I wanted to run a memory test. I tried using the windows 10 memory test, reset..wouldn't post at all. Turned off, back on, and it loaded right into windows. Same thing happened every time I tried to run windows 10 memory test. So I downloed memtest, put it on a USB. Same issue. It will not post with the memtest USB drive, but will immediately turn on and work when I remove it.

This sound like its a memory related issue? Should I just buy a whole new set?

Last edited:
Reset to stock settings and try to run the memory tests. If it works then its your OC ;)

and if it doesn't work even on turbo 3.9?

I game at 1440p and 4k. So my entire purpose of switching from amd to intel and buying this setup was so I could do so easily. I dont feel 3.5 is enough to do this, and the 6600k is designed to be overclocked is it not? 4.2 is mild at best..

Last edited:
1.35V on this cooler seems like a bit much ... it's also a bit high voltage for 4.2GHz. 6600K can make 4.2GHz at about 1.15-1.25V.

Enter BIOS, clear settings/set defaults and then check if all is working fine. When you check that all is working stable then start to overclock CPU. When you set everything stable then check memory ( set XMP or manually higher clock ).
Install memory in 2/4 slots looking from CPU side. Also be sure that board has the latest BIOS as on Gigabyte boards it's helping in stability.

1.35V on this cooler seems like a bit much ... it's also a bit high voltage for 4.2GHz. 6600K can make 4.2GHz at about 1.15-1.25V.

Enter BIOS, clear settings/set defaults and then check if all is working fine. When you check that all is working stable then start to overclock CPU. When you set everything stable then check memory ( set XMP or manually higher clock ).
Install memory in 2/4 slots looking from CPU side. Also be sure that board has the latest BIOS as on Gigabyte boards it's helping in stability.

it was @ 1.35 because I had OCed it to 4.5. I didn't drop the voltage because I wanted to be sure I could get it stable @ 4.4. it was. 18 hours on prime without a single issue. At 4.4 @ this voltage, I maxed at 57º

But I was getting freezes during..menial stuff..like browsing..or while it was in sleep mode. So I lowered it to 4.2. Still same issue. Lowered it to 3.9. Same issue (and this is stock turbo speed..so even dropping it to stock speeds means if it was a cpu issue, I would get freezes when it turbos up..).

Memory is stock speeds, and not OCed at all. This ram has no XMP settings.

What really strange is..the PC will never start with the memtest USB or resetting into windows 10 memory diagnostics. It will turn on with other USBs..or without it..but NEVER with it. It just a black screen and doesn't post, which is why I think these may be memory errors..but I wanted others opinions. It really doesn't feel like an OC issue, but thats why just for sake of argument, I go back to 3.5 and i still get the issue..its memory? or mobo..bad cpu..?

Im at work so cant' test at the moment, which is why im asking ahead of time if I still get issues.

Last edited:
My recommendation would be to clear CMOS/Reset everything 100% to default stock values. If it has issues at that point, try with 1 stick of the RAM at a time.
And as a side question, you did get DDR4 RAM correct?

My recommendation would be to clear CMOS/Reset everything 100% to default stock values. If it has issues at that point, try with 1 stick of the RAM at a time.
And as a side question, you did get DDR4 RAM correct?

of course

Its just really hard to test this way..because issue only happens 2-3 times a week. But ill start there to see if I can even post with memtest. Switching to intel atm seems to be the biggest waste of money I ever spent.

of course

Its just really hard to test this way..because issue only happens 2-3 times a week.

I was under the impression it happened frequently. If it's a very intermittent issue, there might be better troubleshooting. I'm sure others will chime in with good ideas.
Just make sure Windows is 100% up to date and that all drivers are 100% up to date.

I was under the impression it happened frequently. If it's a very intermittent issue, there might be better troubleshooting. I'm sure others will chime in with good ideas.
Just make sure Windows is 100% up to date and that all drivers are 100% up to date.

It happens less than once per day, and has only ever happened when doing small things, usually while in sleep mode or just sitting on desktop doing nothing. Only once while browsing internet, and once as soon as I got to windows 10 login screen. But..its maybe once every 2-3 days.

Like i said..larger issue I think is why I can't run any type of memory test.

Ive ran prime95 for 18 hours, and few hours few other times. Typically day is getting home from work, playing Fallout 4 or Witcher 3 for multiple hours..never an issue.

Ditch that PNY ram and get some GSkill. I've had nothing but issues with PNY products, be it video cards or ram. PNY is poor quality ram and sold at a premium to unsuspecting customers that don't know better.

PNY is nothing but junk imho.

Ditch that PNY ram and get some GSkill. I've had nothing but issues with PNY products, be it video cards or ram. PNY is poor quality ram and sold at a premium to unsuspecting customers that don't know better.

PNY is nothing but junk imho.

thats what I thought too, but all best buy had, and I wanted to get it up and running.

I just wanted others opinions, based on the symptoms before i dropped another 70 dollars on ram. I can't take this stuff back, so its already lost money.

Yeah I hear ya. You can try selling it and picking up some better ram. Tho you know you'll lose money, but it's better than nothing.

ill try and see if resetting to stock lets me at least test the ram first. This is a very weird issue ive never encountered before.

turns out my no posting issue was..because for some reason it was defaulting from my monitor to my TV..and..nothing was happening.

So ill test the ram over night, and go a few days with stock CPU settings see what happens. Ill be very disappointed to get a 6600k that isn't overclockable.

alright, so 3 passes with memtest and 0 errors. Ram is rated at 1.2v, and thats where its at.
Any ideas on what might be causing this or where to start next?

Last edited:
Did you get it sorted out yet? Actually freezing used to be a hard drive issue but with the newer memory, it could be that. I guess you checked the SPD and actual memory settings to be sure it was detected and set correctly? If it continues to freeze I would run chkdsk to be sure that it is not trying to reallocate a bad sector.

Back