• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup ISO with all updates up to 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there a May 2016 update or is May included already?
If you or someone else posted official links where to download the June, July and August 2016 updates, then it would probably help whoever hits this thread doing a search...

Windows6.1-KB947821 Windows Readiness Tool

Windows6.1-KB3020369 April 2015 Service Stack Update

Windows6.1-KB3138612 Windows Update Client from May 2016 - I think this is the May update you are talking about, I did not require it in my image as I believe it is included in the Convenience Roll Up.

Windows6.1-KB3161608 June 2016 Roll Up

Windows6.1-KB3164033 June 14 2016 Security Update

Windows6.1-KB3172605 July 2016 Roll Up

Windows6.1-KB3179573 August 2016 Roll Up

This is the full list of updates my image contains now - minus IE11 and the Convenience Update which is acquired via the Windows Update catalog.

Last edited:
Twelve months down the road, where and how to do you get the links for twelve monthly rollups?

The rollup links are the relevant links after everything in post#1 is done.

I'm going to let someone else test if all the monthly rollups can also be integrated, one at a time, directly following step 6., but essentially in the same way as in step 6. above.

6. Integrate Convenience Rollup update package:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\AMD64-all-windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64.msu
Change name of .msu file if you are integrating a 32-bit / different version file:
Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\X86-all-windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86.msu

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: The June Rollup specifically says

This update rollup is superseded by July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1.
SO I DON'T THINK SO...

I think I would stick with creating the .iso as posted, achieving the main goal of actually being able to get the rest of the 2016 updates (and beyond) without wasting hours (days) of time. Then after the installation is completed, then maybe install the rest of them... or just let Windows Update handle things from that starting May 2016 point?

I tried to allow it to take over from May and the updater was still broken. Hence adding June, July, and August.

The updates are chronological. It doesn't matter if it is superseded. If you read that article about WHY that update is necessary you'd realize that Windows isn't smart enough to install the update that is "newer" without the old update. It requires the older update in order to remove it and install the new one properly. If you don't include both it will fail installing the later update. This is why so many people are upset with Microsoft for breaking updates because of a squabble with Intel over Bluetooth drivers.

If you had paid attention to any of the other posts in the other thread you'd have realized this by now. If you manually attempt to install the July Roll Up without having the June Roll Up it says it cannot install because it requires KB3161608.

Edit: Also, there aren't monthly roll ups. They just did that for June, July, and August of this year, if you want the previous updates you have to rely on the convenience roll up.

Last edited:
You posted extremely useful info I did not pay attention to earlier. I only wanted to get the integrated .iso done.

I understand you are saying is that there is no integration after the May .iso?
So the procedure is, May 2016 .iso, then each and every monthly after that, without skipping...
but the May 2016 .iso will still help tremendously at least for most people.

It's the convenience roll up itself that a lot of people are having trouble installing. There is great confusion over what are the prerequisites for it.

It's the convenience roll up itself that a lot of people are having trouble installing. There is great confusion over what are the prerequisites for it.

I can't answer that from a "manual install" point of view. I never got the Convenience Roll Up to work as an executed package on an already running Windows 7 system.

However, I did get the Convenience Roll Up to work with my ".iso".

All I had to do was inject SP1, then the April Service Stacking Update, followed by injecting the Convenience Roll Up.

At that point I was able to install Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and it would show ALL 3 of those updates in "Installed Updates". The problem I ran into then was that the updater was still broken. I couldn't pull any updates from the updater and I left one machine trying the entire week I was on vacation with zero results.

If you're trying to install the Convenience Update on a machine you have been upgrading from SP1 or prior, technically the requirements shouldn't be anything other than SP1 and the April Service Stacking Update. I think it is possible that Windows grabs additional updates that aren't required and it messed up the whole process if your computer is connected to the Internet. One of us would have to actually try this method on an install from scratch without trying to query the updater, but I don't really have the time to do that hence finding a solution that loads Windows straight with all or a majority of the updates.

It looks like the most important updates are the ones I listed in the previous post. If you inject those into your .iso you'll find under 1GB of updates left (maybe even less than 500MB, I didn't add it up).

Honestly, I don't even turn my image into an .iso. I just have a bootable flash drive I am able to modify on the fly. I keep a directory called DISM on my C: drive that contains separate folders for the updates, mounted image, and my boot/install.wim. From there I use DISM to mount my install.wim, inject the updates I want, then unmount and copy the modified .wim over to my flash drive. I have not played around too much with drivers, but the plan is to start adding driver packages for the model of laptops we have so I can have people functioning on a fresh install of Windows in the 10 minutes it takes for it to install on an SSD.

No more hours of updates, tracking down drivers, or worries of bugs following over from backed up images that may have failed in the past. Just a quick install and few minutes of setup.

but the May 2016 .iso will still help tremendously at least for most people.

In theory, sure. However, I did not have to update the updater with the Convenience Roll Up and June, July, and August updates installed. I can't attest to how well that update will inject since it is an update that modifies the individual nature of the "Windows updater". I didn't want to play with that. I wanted to see if Windows would be able to handle that process on it's own and it appears once you have June, July, and August updates added the "May" update which is really an update for the version of the updater is not required or necessary. If you manually run the May update you'll see that it goes through an entirely different process than a typical Windows Update. All it does is reset your "Updater" and install a "newer" version of it. I can't find where or what it precisely does so I can't say I trust that update to be helpful. It never once helped in solving the "broken updater" issue.

Last edited:
Since the topic is, really, creation of a single unified .iso which installs 2016 Windows 7 straight away with no internet connection... that is what I was referring to when I said "May" although it is confusing if the unified .iso gets you to April or May of 2016?

Either way, fresh install of regular Windows 7 or [Win7+SP1] will either not update or will take excruciatingly long number of hours to begin updating....
However, we are still waiting for a second case of someone fresh installing a 2016 .iso and not being able to update.

The most relevant question for the future as I see it, is if anyone actually integrates anything further into the 2016 installation Windows 7 .iso.
And if so, how?

Trying your instructions for making a slipstreamed ISO CW but can't get the download from the basket to my computer. Get this every time. Has Moneysoft disabled this webpage or something? This was for Microsoft Update Catalog Add On (KB3125574). And I was using IE 11.

Attachments

• Download basket.PNG
    Download basket.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 208
You have to allow the add-on to install when you first go to that page in Internet Explorer.
I just checked it and it works 100%.

You have to allow the add-on to install when you first go to that page in Internet Explorer.
I just checked it and it works 100%.

How can you install it when you can't even download it? It wouldn't even display the download page most of the time. And when it did, it wouldn't download it. The download window was blank and would time out.

Anyway, after about 30 tries I got it downloaded just a few minutes ago. That site is having problems or it may be getting too many hits.

I don't get this part in your instructions:

2. Make a new folder C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline

It won't let me put a backslash in the file name. It's a reserved DOS character.

Are you saying to put a folder named "offline" inside the C:\Win7SP1ISO folder?

Last edited:
It can't find your update. Either the file path is incorrect or you're missing something in the command you typed. DISM is very particular and it is easy to get confused between forward, backward slashes, the commands, and where you need to point DISM to.

The basic idea is this. You should have 3 folders. One with your install.wim, one with your updates, and one where you mount your .wim.

I used "DISM" as my root directory. Updates as my update directory. Mount as my mount directory. And I personally made another folder called Backups to keep a clean, extracted .iso there.

I'd personally recommend copying your install.wim to to your root directory then mounting and modifying it from that location. When you're done adding updates and you unmount it you can copy it back over into sources. This prevents you from having to work with too many directories. It can get confusing when adding several updates.

I'd also make a back up of it just in case something doesn't work. Then you can start from scratch without having to extract an entire original .iso again just to get a clean, unaltered install.wim.

I copied and pasted the DISM command line straight from CW's instructions.

I see. Well I would make sure it isn't copying a space at the end possibly?

DISM is pretty simple and I'm sure you understand the process of what it accomplishes so I would just use the guide to follow the process.

I can say I had a lot more issues copy and pasting commands into the command line rather than when I typed them by scratch.

If you want to go the copy route this guide follows the same file structure/instructions, but has the commands in separate fields that are easier to copy from.

I don't see how that should matter. As long as you have the update in the correct folder and you point DISM to the correct path it should work.

Spaces, a return character, and not having .msu at the end will cause a failure. Several times trying to copy commands there was a "return command" I couldn't see at the end and that resulted in the other half of my command not going through. It all depends on what formatting is getting copied over (if there is any).

If you haven't tried to type the command out I'd do that first. If it is still failing after that there might be something wrong with your directories.

Yeah, looks like it can't find your file. Double check where you have the updates and make sure the name of the update is correct.

Really, I'd just type the command based on where your files are and what the file name is. Copy/Paste should work in theory, but maybe when you downloaded the update it downloaded with a different label.

Spelled the "Updates" folder "Udates". So my bad. The DISM command works now.

Back