• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Just tried updating BIOS on Asrock Extreme 6 and something went wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

Luckily I saved my current settings to "B" before I started...here is what happened
Downloaded latest BIOS from ASrock- the one for instant flash ...put it in a folder and unzipped (extracted)
Moved extracted file to FAT32 formatted stick
Rebooted and everything seemed fine to the point that it said update complete your system will now reboot
Right after it said this I pulled the stick(is this where I made the mistake?)
System kept going on and off in loops around 20 times and Dr debug would never get to 99
Gave up-unplugged system and moved switch to "B"
This is why I am able to type this out now...

If I try again I assume I should first re-save the file on "b" to "a"...correct? because I assume the BIOS on "a" is corrupt

OK...go into bios and execute secure uefi backup.
After this is done, switch back to bios 1 and reflash. Leave the stick in this time for s&g's ;)

ok...thanks...If this works I will post back (the reason I removed the stick...I turned on the computer on my first attempt to flash with the sick in and it said no operating system found...so I shut down, pulled the stick and turned back on and went into BIOS and then inserted the stick and THEN did the flash. I assumed it would once again say no OS found.) I also checked my boot priority settings and no USB was listed....

Same result...dr debug stopped at 78 or 74...don't remember...to be safe before this attempt, I did full format on stick(not quick) and then recopied file onto it, then used safely eject and pulled the stick. turned off...put stick in and turned on...kept tapping delete so I could get into BIOS while the stick was still in...got to the point that it said update complete...left stick in....same thing...endless loop with nothing on screen and no beep...corrupt download?

take your time...getting late for me and its working...so I will re-save back to "a" for a fresh start and try later...THANKS! Will try a different stick next time too

also may try internet flash...worth a shot...going a way now to try it...I fix really big copy machines for a living and we flash them all the time...ironic I have issues with this

SUCCESS!:D BIOS version P2.70/ME FW Version 9.1.25.1005...new BIOS saved to "B"
probably the base clock@103 was culprit, but also used different USB slot...Thanks for your help!!! Friend!!!

Keep that in mind for the future. Overclocks can be a ***** when updating BIOS, my friend learned that the hard way on his 6800k system. Lucky to have had that second BIOS, eh? :p

Keep that in mind for the future. Overclocks can be a ***** when updating BIOS, my friend learned that the hard way on his 6800k system. Lucky to have had that second BIOS, eh? :p
You betcha! Funny thing is, the only "con" that I had on this motherboard was that the BIOS "was soldered in"! a backup is SOO much better!

You betcha! Funny thing is, the only "con" that I had on this motherboard was that the BIOS "was soldered in"! a backup is SOO much better!

Most MB's that have dip8.jpeg is in a socket.

All but 1 MB's I use have soic8.jpeg for the BIOS, a main and a backup BIOS.

Back