• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WhiteHawkEQ, JrClocker and don256us.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Once you have the system up and running, you don't need any monitors. To be clear on your question: No. You do not need a monitor on a card for it to fold. I know that back in the day there used to be an issue where people had to buy a dummy DVI plug to trick the card into thinking that it had a monitor but that issue is long gone.

What I mean is 1 PC with 2 GTX 1080 SC's, do I need a monitor to set up the 2nd GPU? Or do I just pop it in and setup V7 for 2nd folding slot?

What I mean is 1 PC with 2 GTX 1080 SC's, do I need a monitor to set up the 2nd GPU? Or do I just pop it in and setup V7 for 2nd folding slot?

No you do not need a monitor or anything plugged into the 2nd card other than the power line.

Shut down, put the second card in, make sure the power lines are in, and then start it up. The computer will see it and install it using the driver you already have. You may need to reboot when it is done (I can never remember is that is needed). Then when you have both cards showing up in Device Manager, bring up the V7 client and add a second folding slot. Once it is added and you've given it the flags you want, it will download and start on a WU.

Just pop it in and add a slot. Easy peasy.

- - - Updated - - -

As of this morning, I am recovered from the Comcast outage. It really jammed up my farm but that's all cleared now. It looked like I was going to settle in at around 2.5 mill which seems low for what I using. 3 980Ti and 10 x 7970/280x.

No you do not need a monitor or anything plugged into the 2nd card other than the power line.

Shut down, put the second card in, make sure the power lines are in, and then start it up. The computer will see it and install it using the driver you already have. You may need to reboot when it is done (I can never remember is that is needed). Then when you have both cards showing up in Device Manager, bring up the V7 client and add a second folding slot. Once it is added and you've given it the flags you want, it will download and start on a WU.

Well then, I have bad news for you Torin, with this 5th GTX 1080, I will be around 4.8-4.9 mil ppd, sorry to keep you down there buddy :rofl::escape:

GTX 980 Ti FTW
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC

Well then, I have bad news for you Torin, with this 5th GTX 1080, I will be around 4.8-4.9 mil ppd, sorry to keep you down there buddy :rofl::escape:

GTX 980 Ti FTW
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC
GTX 1080 SC

Currently, I have
GTX 1080 FE
GTX 1070
GTX 1070
GTX 970
GTX 970
GTX 970

Over 3 systems. I'll be able to add 2 more 1070s, and then I'll work on replacing the 970s with 1070s.

I just don't have the budget for more.

But I know I'll never be the number 1 producer on this team. Being number 3 for a while was nice though. My main goal is to try and stay in the top 5 on the team, and maybe make it into the top 20 world wide through longevity. There are a lot of people who have produced more than I have, but of the people who have done it for longer, most of them are on this team.

I'm tempted to slap another Titan X P in my folding mix. However, my "Little Folder" (which is also my main server) is a mITX board...only has 1 PCIe slot. I need to find a good deal on an LGA 1150 motherboard first...

Well, the last two weeks have not been the most productive for me. We had a power glitch that I didn't even know about until I was checking the status of my Nest smoke alarm. When I looked into my farm, it was nearly all idle. Later on, we had our second "not an outage"/"known outage" from comcast which I just recovered from.

At this moment, I'm upgrading my 2008 SBS server to 2016 Standard. Unfortunatly the machine is so underpowered that it may take a very long time and it hosts one of my 980Ti's. My production will be down for a bit.

On the plus side, I will do some learning on the server and I bought a used 3560 Cisco PoE switch that I can learn on too so maybe I'll VLAN my entire farm. ;)

I'm tempted to slap another Titan X P in my folding mix. However, my "Little Folder" (which is also my main server) is a mITX board...only has 1 PCIe slot. I need to find a good deal on an LGA 1150 motherboard first...

Do it already. :) My server also is only one PCIe slot but for now I'm good.

My 1080 has been getting crappy work units...only been averaging around 700 K ppd for the past few days. The Titans are still running strong though.

Well, the last two weeks have not been the most productive for me. We had a power glitch that I didn't even know about until I was checking the status of my Nest smoke alarm. When I looked into my farm, it was nearly all idle. Later on, we had our second "not an outage"/"known outage" from comcast which I just recovered from.

At this moment, I'm upgrading my 2008 SBS server to 2016 Standard. Unfortunatly the machine is so underpowered that it may take a very long time and it hosts one of my 980Ti's. My production will be down for a bit.

On the plus side, I will do some learning on the server and I bought a used 3560 Cisco PoE switch that I can learn on too so maybe I'll VLAN my entire farm. ;)

I would love to get 2016 St or DC, but with 24 cores being max for now, I would not be able to use my 4P's to the max. Why Windows OS's are made with a core and/or CPU limit I'll never know. :screwy:

I would love to get 2016 St or DC, but with 24 cores being max for now, I would not be able to use my 4P's to the max. Why Windows OS's are made with a core and/or CPU limit I'll never know. :screwy:

Right. I think that they just wanted to license different than Novell (Wait... who?). I did finally get it to install but it would not let me upgrade from 2008. This really wasn't a problem since its just a teaching aid for myself and nothing more. Loosing all of my settings in 2008 is not a bad thing since I need to relearn them anyway.

Right. I think that they just wanted to license different than Novell (Wait... who?). I did finally get it to install but it would not let me upgrade from 2008. This really wasn't a problem since its just a teaching aid for myself and nothing more. Loosing all of my settings in 2008 is not a bad thing since I need to relearn them anyway.

To upgrade to 2016, you would 1st need to upgrade to 2012 then 2016. 2008 is the server version of Win 7, 2012 is the server version of Win 8, so I'm going to assume 2016 is the server version of Win 10 :)

p.s. for last month, I got 108,166,771 points :)

I went from 7 to 10 with no issues. :p

P.S. Shut it! lol

Finally getting good work units again from my 1080.

Of course, my 4 K gaming addiction isn't helping my PPD...

I mostly play Shogun 2. I don't have to pause my two 980Ti's as long as I do not SLI them. If I do SLI, then I have to pause folding. With the cards in a non-SLI, I don't pause but production goes down from 700k to 500k. I loose a lot of production over the weekend. :(

Alright alright alright. I think that I got my 980Ti working nice with my 2016 server. It may go up and down repeatedly as I learn how to create my domain, create a WSUS server and a deployment server. Fun times are ahead. I also bought a used Cisco 3560 PoE on which I will isolate my farm as I learn VLans and such.

OK! Which ever one of you is paying Comcast to stop working please cut it out. I'll concede defeat if you just tell Comcast to work to my house.

Back