• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WhiteHawkEQ, JrClocker and don256us.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
HA! yesterday I earned 2.5 million so take THAT!..... oh wait, you guys are earning 3 mill +. Well.... let that be a lesson to you punks to mess with me..... uh... yeah.

Either way I'm chuffed (I've been watching a lot of British shows [Wheeler Dealers] on TV and chuffed means that I'm overly happy.) I earned 2.5 million in a days time. WOOT!

Last edited:
HA! yesterday I earned 2.5 million so that THAT!..... oh wait, you guys are earning 3 mill +. Well.... let that be a lesson to you punks to mess with me..... uh... yeah.

Either way I'm chuffed (I've been watching a lot of British shows [Wheeler Dealers] on TV and chuffed means that I'm overly happy.) I earned 2.5 million in a days time. WOOT!

Oh nice!! I love Wheeler Dealers! If only I could fold on my V8 lol.

HA! yesterday I earned 2.5 million so take THAT!..... oh wait, you guys are earning 3 mill +. Well.... let that be a lesson to you punks to mess with me..... uh... yeah.

Hey, if your happy, I'm happy :rofl:
BTW, I've never heard the word "chuffed" on Wheeler Dealers :)

Oh boy. I can't wait to get home and see what's wrong. I got "0's" for the last two updates and I can't access my IOT (Internet Of Things). I hope that the power is on but if not, I have just completed getting my generator switch box up and running so I will have heat, lights and maybe internet if the lines themselves aren't down.

Consider this a reprieve for you guys.

I actually think that one of the production point check-in servers is down.

My online points are very low today...but I checked with my Handy-Dandy JrClocker app and things are still running OK!

Our internet is down. We have a saying in my house. "Stupid Comcast." I did some troubleshooting on my end and didn't find a problem. I then call Comcast who's automated system states that I am not in an area of a current outage. It then switches me to another recording that states that there is an outage that they are aware of and are working on. Stupid Comcast.

My farm is completely sitting at idle. I fold in two areas of the house in which I shut off the heat vents. Both the office and the basement dropped about 7* F due to my outage. That farm really does kick out some heat.

Our internet is down. We have a saying in my house. "Stupid Comcast." I did some troubleshooting on my end and didn't find a problem. I then call Comcast who's automated system states that I am not in an area of a current outage. It then switches me to another recording that states that there is an outage that they are aware of and are working on. Stupid Comcast.

My farm is completely sitting at idle. I fold in two areas of the house in which I shut off the heat vents. Both the office and the basement dropped about 7* F due to my outage. That farm really does kick out some heat.

That sucks. Could you possibly use your phone as a hotspot to get the data uploaded and get new WUs?

That sucks. Could you possibly use your phone as a hotspot to get the data uploaded and get new WUs?

That is a pretty good suggestion! The only issue I see that might be a problem for that is if he has no WiFi card available.

Oh, and I've got an idea of how to keep from backsliding on my relative position on the team given my 1 machine at home limitation.

That is a pretty good suggestion! The only issue I see that might be a problem for that is if he has no WiFi card available.

Oh, and I've got an idea of how to keep from backsliding on my relative position on the team given my 1 machine at home limitation.

Are you going to share your idea? Maybe I can use it too ;)

Are you going to share your idea? Maybe I can use it too ;)

I'm going to be replacing my Z170-UD5 board (which can only run 2 video cards) to an ASUS board with a PLX chip that can run 4 cards, all at 8x speed. That way I can get 2 more 1070 GPUs. That will boost me about 1.5M PPD to in the ballpark of 4.5M PPD.

I'm going to be replacing my Z170-UD5 board (which can only run 2 video cards) to an ASUS board with a PLX chip that can run 4 cards, all at 8x speed. That way I can get 2 more 1070 GPUs. That will boost me about 1.5M PPD to in the ballpark of 4.5M PPD.

Now that sounds like an idea worth copying.

+++++++++++++++ edit+++++++++++++++++++

I found this:
"PLX" is a bit of a misnomer, PLX Technologies is (was) a manufacturer of circuit components like PCIe switches and PCIe bridges and PCIe multiplexers. What "PLX" or "PLX chip" means to most people is a chip which splices a single physical PCIe slot (or lane, or group of lanes) into more logical PCIe slots or lanes.

Short version is that it doesn't matter how many physical slots are mounted on the motherboard or how many lanes can be allocated in the BIOS because the processor can simultaneously address a maximum of 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes worth of bandwidth under best conditions. There are zero performance gains once PCIe 3.0 devices saturate all these lanes (in fact, there are minor performance losses since the PLX processing part adds signal latency and complicates timings, the increased signal traffic adds packet envelope overheads, and the increased signal collisions/errors require more packets get resent). So you might be able to install four GPU cards in a PLX x16/x16/x16/x16 configuration but actual performance will be comparable to (actually worse than) a non-PLX x16/x8/x8/x8 configuration. (And, besides, even mighty 980Ti and TitanX GPU cards at full load can hardly saturate >8 PCIe 3.0 lanes in practice, especially if they're directly interlinked off the PCIe bus with a CF/SLI bridge.) Just gotta wait for future Intel processors with more integrated PCIe 3.0 lane controllers.

from here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81623-Which-ASUS-boards-have-the-PLX-chip-for-16x16-GPU-s

I've been looking for a similar board myself as my WS board died. Looks like eBay has them for a hefty $500 or just under so I may be priced out of the market.

Last edited:

I agree with don, this is an excellent idea to look in to ;)

Well, trigger pulled. I should be able to pick up the next 1070 in February.

Don, I did see that. But my current board won't see a 3rd card at all when I install it. Nothing in device manager.

Also: http://www.overclockers.com/asus-z170-ws-motherboard-review/

There are a total of four full length PCIe 3.0 slots. Due to the usage of a PLX chip on the Z170 WS it is able to run these slots at x8/x8/x8/x8. This arrangement allows for 4-Way CrossfireX or 4-Way SLI. There is also a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot between the second and third full length slot. Plenty of available PCIe slots for either consumer (GeForce/Radeon) or professional (Quadro/FirePro) GPU’s!

Also, note that without this chip, the Z170 chipset only has 20 PCI-E lanes, so getting 32 lanes is an improvement, but still less than the 40 max the CPU can handle.

Last edited:
Question: Do I need to have a monitor on a 2nd GPU in a system to fold or can I just not have anything on the 2nd GPU?

Question: Do I need to have a monitor on a 2nd GPU in a system to fold or can I just not have anything on the 2nd GPU?

Once you have the system up and running, you don't need any monitors. To be clear on your question: No. You do not need a monitor on a card for it to fold. I know that back in the day there used to be an issue where people had to buy a dummy DVI plug to trick the card into thinking that it had a monitor but that issue is long gone.

Back