• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual and Quad channel Memory kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

So Frys was out of the 32gb quad kits and I did not realize there was a difference with getting a quad kit being its quad channel and getting 2 packs of 2 or dual channel kits. Can someone please explain to me the difference between me getting 2 2x8 dual channel 3200mhz memory kits and getting one 4x8 quad channel memory kits. I purchased them 2 weeks ago and still have time to take them back. Should I most definitely be runing a quad channel kit or am i ok running 2 dual channel kits?

I guess you are going to use 32 GB of RAM running in a 4 channel configuration.

Now you will need 4 DIMM with 8 GB each, guess this is correct.

In this term i suggest to use a set of 4 DIMMs because they should be hand picked and they will be perfectly compatible with each others because in many cases (at least for high end RAM: G.Skill, Patriot and more) they have been picked in a single production chain with a almost matching manufacturing line, so it will offer the highest compatibility and stability for your needs (you need 4 DIMM).

In term you are gonna use 2x2 DIMMs, most of the times they may work properly but they are not always perfectly matching and stability may be decreased aswell a little bit. So, it surely is gonna work but in term you are able to switch them out with a 4x DIMM package, then i would by any means execute this action. You have no losses but only gain.

A quad channel kit is no different than a dual channel kit except it has 4 sticks. You do NOT have quad channel on your z170 motherboard as it is a dual channel platform

I was wondering why you bothered to get so much ram.... 16gb is plenty and will be for a long time for most users.

Please create a signature with your hardware so those helping have a reference. :)

He was simply asking for the possible difference and i told him the possible difference from the perspective of a enthusiast. He already got 32 GB and would be able to exchange it to a different 32 GB kit, if i was reading something wrong i may have failed, excuse me.

From another thread, I know he has Z170, so he will be running dual channel. Hence my comment and how it was framed. :)

You are spot on in your explanation of memory kits. If you are looking for 99.9% go quad and throw the 4x8 kit in Z170. If you are ok with 99% success, a 2x 2x8GB of the same kit/version will do fine.

Okay that makes zero sense to me whatsoever. One option will not provide me with .9% more success. I am never ok with 99% Yes you are correct tho z170 is a dual channel platform I forgot about that. And taking a deeper look into the specs no there is no difference. The quad kit is in every way shape or form the same. I was unsure if maybe the timing might be different with a quad kit but it's not. I realize 32 gig is overkill. So is a Skylake i7. I literally spent over 2 grand on this rig and gained a couple fps on Unigine from my overclocked Sandy Bridge. A 40 caliber hand gun is overkill. To obey every traffic law in America, you only need about 60 horsepower to do it. But we make cars with several hundred. My gtx 1080 is pretty much overkill too. I had the gtx 1070 and my 1440p monitor and tho i get several fps more with my 1080 I don't notice it because it was already plenty fast with my 1070. I was able to afford this time around so I went ahead and did it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking for the signature but I didn't see it.

Okay that makes zero sense to me whatsoever. One option will not provide me with .9% more success. I am never ok with 99% Yes you are correct tho z170 is a dual channel platform I forgot about that. And taking a deeper look into the specs no there is no difference. The quad kit is in every way shape or form the same. I was unsure if maybe the timing might be different with a quad kit but it's not. I realize 32 gig is overkill. So is a Skylake i7. I literally spent over 2 grand on this rig and gained a couple fps on Unigine from my overclocked Sandy Bridge. A 40 caliber hand gun is overkill. To obey every traffic law in America, you only need about 60 horsepower to do it. But we make cars with several hundred. My gtx 1080 is pretty much overkill too. I had the gtx 1070 and my 1440p monitor and tho i get several fps more with my 1080 I don't notice it because it was already plenty fast with my 1070. I was able to afford this time around so I went ahead and did it.

- - - Updated - - -

Second row up at the top of the Forum:

Forum Actions -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature

- - - Updated - - -

A quad channel "kit" contains modules that are manufactured at the same time during the same production run from the same silicon wafer. There is a slightly higher chance that two dual channel kits used in quad channel will not be stable because of small differences in the manufacturing conditions that produced the two kits. Running RAM in quad channel is a more complicated and demanding arrangement that has a smaller tolerance for subtle differences in modules. To draw an analogy, it's why racing engine components have to be more perfectly machined and balanced ("blueprinted") than the engines that go in the family sedan.

Back