• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High voltage and temp spikes on z170 deluxe mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ya I can't complain about it. It took me 1.42v to get my 2600k stable at 4.5Ghz in the cheapest Gigabyte mobo I could find so I'm pretty happy I can be under 1.3v with this. Seems to be just under the average for as much as I've read. There are definitely better overclocking chips out there but this time I don't seem to have one of the unlucky chips.

Last edited:
I just tested and my i5 6600k is stable at 1.312v, safety margin set to is 1.332v, so it is +0.02 for safety.

Last edited:
So I thought I'd update. After a couple days testing all the sudden I got a random BSOD playing Battlefield 1. :mad: So I went in Turned XMP off manually set the Ram to run at 3333Mhz at 1.355v. Left my multiplier at 45 raised my vcore to 1.295v with my llc set to level 7. Booted right up. Still idles at 1.296v Ran p95 for 2 and a half hours and it ran at 1.312v with the occasional 1.328v. Stopped p95 reset my PC into bios saved my settings booted up, ran Aida 64 Extreme for 5 hours, got up this morning stopped that and opened up Asus Realbench and it's been going for an hour. Realbench and Aida cruise along at 1.312v as well. Prime seemed to jump every now and then but these two just cruise along at 1.312v Still idles under 1.3v so I'm pleased with these settings. Even got a little more out of my ram. :sly: I manually set the timings to the default listed and it's running great. I may try and bump it to 3400Mhz but right now I feel pretty stable. I ran p 95 version 26.6. I may download the latest and run that for a bit too. If there is another program anyone recommends to test further please chime in. I don't like BSOD and never had one in two years on my last rig so I want to be able to achieve that again. Thank you

Well that pisses me off!! Sorry EarthDog not you. I disabled XMP because I wanted to overclock my ram instead of just run it at 3200Mhz. So I did all that testing then ran P95 version 28.5 just because I happened to have it lying around in one of my folders in my hdd from when I used it for my 2600k. So everything was going good, my max temp running 26.6 was 70c. My max temp with 28.5 was 80c but usually stayed in the mower to mid 70's. Anyway I happened to doze off on the couch for a few so I didn't realize that 51 min into the blend test with this version my PC froze. Didn't crash but froze. And stayed that way for 31 minutes before I noticed it. The last thing it said was something something pass at 9:31. 51 minutes into it. And the temp read 77c. So I hope it didn't get any hotter and just roast my PC durning that. Now I had heard previously about the skylake bug that causes it to freeze under certain workloads (which I think is absolute $%^&ing bull#$%* and Intel should do a full recall and replace everyone's 6700k that has the issue or allow them a free upgrade to 7700k. This is a 2015 350$ "high end" Cpu. They've never had this particular issue in the past and idk I think it's absurd. It is a Central Processing Unit and it is designed to do this stuff without freezing and I think it is terrible business to not do something about it. Anyway from this post I just went back and re-read it specifically says version 28.7, I was running 28.5 but it did freeze so I'm going to follow the instructions on this site and see if I can truly verify that's what happened because it did not crash it froze an hour into a different version of p95 after several hours of testing via p95 v.26.6 Aida64 abd Realbench. So hoefully when that happens it doesn't sit there and fricken cook hopefully it stayed at 77c or lower I didn't realize it had froze until I sat back down at my desk and looked at the time in the bottom corner of my screen and saw it said 9:31 not 10:03 Lol. But I just wanna be able to call this thing Overclock stable. If it freezes at default settings there too then I guess I can call my OC stable idk.
I can't see anything in my event viewer at all between that time. There is nothing listed in the 900 hour in the event viewer.
Samsung just did a massive recall Intel can be a "BUSINESS" and recall these too.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...-cpu-heres-how-to-check-if-your-pc-has-it.htm
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html

Last edited:
The CPU will throttle at 100c so you are plenty safe. I run my CPU up to 90c with Prime95 v28.10 for 24 hours.

Do you guys use kcleaner or cc cleaner by chance? I never have, I use Revo to uninstall everything but I've never used a system cleaner like that and was wondering your thoughts on them.

CCleaner is better then the Windows app but doesn't delete everything (don't know any program that does). It's more geared towards temp files/trash/registry then uninstalling.

Right I know what it's supposed to do I'm just wondering if it actually works and if it's actually worth using. I've only had this PC for 2 months I don't imagine I have a bunch of crap that needs cleaned up but you never know.

Used CCleaner since the beta and don't have any complains, its very lightweight and does the job in seconds. Better then any non-paid program i have used so far and better then some paid, but that's my own personal opinion. Try it and see for yourself :)

Ya ED I never have either. I have a friend who swears by it so just wanted an opinion to see if it was worth tucking away into my arsenal. Wingman that's what I use too. I've never ran any of the other tests in p95 just blend. So I just passed the hour mark with the new 28.10 version without any lock ups/freezes/crashes or explosions. Same settings, Just wanted to test it with one of the newer versions that use the avx to maximize my chances of stability. It does run warmer for sure. Max temp so far 81c average upper 60's to lower 70's just a couple spikes to 80. All 7 fans runnin at 100%. Ya idk if it was just that version or what because I was somewhat familiar with those articles prior to running it was another reason second to the heat I had stayed with the older version. Anyway 68 min as we speak, hopefully she keeps on sailing and solving the worlds problems.

And right after I posted that it went down. 5 hours Aida64, 2 hours Realbench, another 2-3 hours p95 version 26.6 and and both these version 28 causing problems. This time BSOD tho. Clock Watchdog Timeout. Same as yesterday with bf1. I swear when I was doing this couple years ago with my 2600k it always said Whea Uncorrectable error when it crashed. Theres no way it needs more vcore, it ran 3 hours straight at 1.296v in version 26.6. Well here we go again. Up it to 1.3v :bang head:chair:

Clock Watchdog means it needs more voltage. 26.6 doesn't test AXV, only SSE, so 28.* which does AVX2/FMA3 will require (quite a few) more volts.

Back