• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High voltage and temp spikes on z170 deluxe mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

High I've had my Asus z170 Deluxe motherboard for about 6 weeks now with the 6700k in it and I've got to say, besides the overall build quality and the aesthetics I'm not too impressed at all. I find the bios much more confusing than the gigabyte board I'm coming from and even after bios updates there are really high erratic voltage spikes. Cpu-z has it reading all over the place even at idle. Anywhere from 1.2-1.45 erratic spikes it's weird. And I find it takes quite a bit to stabilize my 4.6 oc too. I had a 2600k in a gigabyte board forever and it was rock solid stable @ 4.4 forever. Even @ 4.6 and the fluctuation in vcore was very minimal. When I built this system in late October I had a Gigabyte board for a week it stopped working but the voltage seemed clean and consistent. I had it at 4.5 with 1.26 vcore and it was fine. Low temps never exceeded 45c then in this board it takes 1.36 to stabilize and will get all the way up to 1.424 under max load not set at adaptive just manual. And it gets way hotter. Just booting into Windows it'll hit 60-65c then idle at 30 and every time a little something needs done it'll shoot up to mid 60's. I have a friend who had the Gaming 7 gigabyte board for 9 months with this chip with a 4.7 oc temps stayed lower than 50c at all times (like mine did) he recently updated the bios and something went wrong so he got the asus z170 pro, looks almost identical to mine now he has the exact same problems I have. I mean Asus is reputable that's why when spending 300$ on a board I went with them and just the performance isn't there at all and I'm wondering if anybody has a z170 Asus board that maybe deals or dealt with the same thing that has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Are you running a fixed voltage and have you set the LLC. I usually run around the level 6 . I have to say I haven't seen this issue at all. I'm on a Max VIII Hero but I do use and older BIOS version

Yes fixed voltage, I had it at level 6 and I recently upped to 8 and I do think it has caused it to get a little higher under load. I think I recall it getting to about 1.392 under load at level 6 so the 8 may have changed that but even the bios version out of the box it had the high spikes so I updated the bios to "improve stability" as it said. I also should add that with my oc cpu-z won't even register a vcore at all. The ai suite reads it as the voltage I've listed. I did a whole system report with Aida 64 and it said the voltage reading was 1.36. I have it set to 1.35 in bios but it idles at 1.36 and jumps anywhere from 1.376-1.424 now before I think it was 1.376-1.392 so I will reset the llc to 6 or even 5 and try that. I have the vrm phase switching at 600khz and 500 for dram, had it at 550 and 500 but upped it just to test it and see if there were any differences. There weren't as far as performance goes. My friend consistently gets over 1500 marks on itu mine has never hit 1500 so last few days is when I have tinkered a little with the settings to see if I could get more. But for a month straight it was 1.35 vcore 6 llc vrm 550khz xmp enabled to run ram at 3200mhz and I will go back to that today but my base concerns haven't changed and it's frustrating me. I know my temps are still safe but I don't like it when I spend 2500$ and have stupid little problems with a 300$ board that I never had with either 150$ gigabyte I've had prior.

I have a z170 board (Maximus VIII Extreme) and don't have these issues.

I have no idea why, at this meager clocks, you are touching vrm phase swtiching speed, etc. Really, you have two things to touch, vcore, and multiplier. That is really it. All this minutia you are digging in, may be part of the problem.

If I was you, I would leave LLC alone and use it if you NEED it, not set it to an arbitrary value.

I'm with E_D on this s far as most setting in BIOS just leave at auto. I still prefer to set LLC manually so that my load voltage anf BIOS voltage are the same . It takes a bit of experimenting. AISuite can be touch and go. Sometimes it causes more truble than it's worth especially if you have more than one program monitoring sensors. If you go to uninstall it. Look for AISuite3 uninstaller and grab it from the ROG ASUS site.
As for XTU it's very RAM sensitive so variances in score are pretty normal even with exact same systems.

Ok thank you guys I'll go back and leave the phase switching alone and lower llc and experiment with it and see if I even need it. Really my main concern was the spikes when everything was at default. But since I've noticed that the higher I set the llc the higher it'll go under load and with it set to 6 which seems to be the common setting people are going with, it seems to stay under 1.4 I'll try 4 and 5 and see what happens. I as well prefer to use llc and had one crash at 1.35 without it and none since turning it on to 6. So maybe I'll try and lower my vcore to 1.32-.34 with llc at 5-6 and see if I can get it stable with that lower idle voltage and strong llc. Thank you guys, just made the switch from 2600k/gigabyte to the newer set up and figured since there were literally 5 times as many settings available to change that maybe some of them were useful. Any ideas why cpu-z reads vcore with optimized defaults but not with my current or previous oc settings?

nOT REALLY UNLESS aisUITE IS INTEFERING WITH IT

Just totally blank. At default settings it reads it even when the ai suite is going which I think I'm just going to get rid of. I only use it to control my fans. I have several headers and 7 ML Pro fans so it's nice to use it for that but other than that and to monitor it since cpu-z won't there's really no other need for it but until I find an alternative to monitor voltage I'm going to keep it around. It's weird, also even the Corsair Link at default settings will show my vcore and all my motherboard temps. But with my over clock that whole top section that has all the mobo temps and vcore is completely gone.

Yes, ditch AISuite.

Ive never seen CPUz behave like that. Does Hwmonitor do that? Hwinfo64?

Anyway, Id start over from scratch, just using Vcore and multi. If you have vdroop under load and don't like it, then get into LLC. Stop flipping switches which do not need it. :)

No man actually I completely forgot about hwinfo64 thank you for that. It reads it just fine and it's reading the same as the ai suite is so 1.360-1.376 idle. Do you have a preference for a software to control my fans so I can ditch this suite entirely or a good recommendation anyway?

Wow after no crashes no freezes nothing for a month I installed hwinfo64 and almost immediately as soon as I click on sensors it froze twice back to back. Now I'm pretty frustrated. Guess it's time to just start completely over.

No I did not not until I find something to control my fans but when I opened sensors it said something about the asus ec sensor i chose not to use it same with the link then it just loaded and thats what happened but yes that probably has something to do with it. It's all good it's winter break so I've got a little bit of time to sit and mess with all this stuff I'll spend a few late nights getting it all dialed now that I have some extra time thank you guys

So I went into bios and loaded optimized defaults and it automatically overclocked my system because the tpu on the mobo was set to 2 so i turned that off loaded defaults and ya high spikes on cpu-z way high vcore spikes somtimes over 1.45 but in the ai suite it reads it much lower. I had also had my xmp profile enabled during my previous oc settings so I turned that off and manually set dram to 3200mhz at 1.355 volts and cpu to 4.5 at 1.325 vcore with llc to6 and it booted right in no problem again tho the ai suiye reads it much lower than cpu-z does around 1.312-1.328 cpu-z on the other hand 1.379-1.392-1.408. Restart go into bios and at the main uefi screen its reading a 1.312 that fluctuates to 1.328 with a mobo temp of 27c and cpu temp of 28c. So at idle just sitting here at the uefi screen it's readint the same as ut does in windows on the suite but it's much lower than cpu-z so idk which to go by. I've always went with cpu-z in the past and my instinct is to go with it now too but man it makes me wonder if the last few weeks with it not displaying a reading if it's actually been this much higer than the suite has been showing me this whole time. Screw the xmp profile I obviously didn't need it at all to oc my ram it booted in no problem. I'm missing something tho because it'll turbo to 4.5 but doesnt stay there unless i have the power plan to high performance. With my 2600k it literally took a handful of trys and that was it and I had that thing stable forever. But I'll stop rambling and complaining this is part of building pc's trial and error. Good day to you guys

and now U know why the cpu-z hasnt been reading it the bios says turn svid off (the communication to external voltage regulator) if overclocking so thats what its been at this whole time. Now that its on its getting a reading

So I tried to run hwinfo again while cpu-z was running too. It starts up and I click on sensor and it says it has found idk an asus ec sensor it can read off of but can cause issues if its reading off it at the same time so i hit disable reading from that then when the sensors came up it was reading my vcore at 1.292 - 1.312 same as ai suite and much lower than cpu-z hwinfo and cpu-z are like a whole .1 different the difference from 1.3 and 1.4 so What would you guys go with? hwinfo and what the bios is reading it at when im in there? Not what i have it set at but what it's reading when in bios or the much higher cpu-z reading? I mean with idle temps of 27-31c is that more realistic with a 1.3 vcore or a 1.4?

You have far too much software conflict going on.
Ditch AISuite, period. It is known problematic.
Trust the bios and CPUz. Don't run more than one temp/voltage software at a time.
Software is rarely accurate for voltage anyway. Some of them read the VID instead of the actual vcore. That's probably why you are seeing those super low readings.

Well the bios is reading much different than cpu-z hwinfo is reading the same as bios which are both reading much lower. Already got rid of the ai suite

Back