• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High voltage and temp spikes on z170 deluxe mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just wanted to get an opinion from you guys with Skylake, I see a bunch of people sayimg to keep Cache ratio on auto or put it at 43 if core is 45. Wingman what do you have your cache ratio set to because I have had mine set 45 min 45 max along with my core ratio this whole time and pass hours of testing so I'm wondering if maybe my performance might increase if I changed it any.

The bench scores don't show a increase with cache ratio overclock. However I did increase the cache, CPU temp went up 5c under stress testing. My motherboard says to increase the cache to the core clock or one notch below it.

I wouldn't touch the cache.. very few applications benefit from it. For high end CPU overclocking, I typically leave it around stock/auto and raise it if ever needed.

Ok cool, I'll just leave it how I've had it then I don't think my motherboard tells me to leave it the same as my core I just did because by default it's at 41 right in the middle of my base and turbo clocks and it's been stable for me. I had to raise my vcore up after that 28.10 crash to 1.305v in bios so under load I'm at 1.328 and i can run it forever it seems like now. Alright thanks.

Image/video editing, benchmarks, folding will all show some improvement with cache, games gain half an fps every 300mhz or so (depending on the game). Higher ram overclocks will benefit the most. From experience you will need a voltage bump to go along with the cache so expect higher temps. Above 4.5ghz if you leave it on auto sometimes the cache will raise on its own and cause instability, so stock 4.1ghz-4.2ghz is a good manual stop. I made/hijacked several threads and discussed/experimented for weeks, and as it stands the only thing it's good for is bumping benchmark scores (which it does very nicely).

EarthDog gets cookie points here for telling me not to bother from the start but I had to try it for myself ;)

Back