• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rx480 8gb wont boot is my mobo too old z68 chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baggedmazda

got my new gfx card in today popped it in and it wont kick on the monitor put the old one in and its doing just fine from what i read now there is issues with older motherboards

Tried it all bios is almost done it was outdated so maybe that's it we will see I have read others running this card on z68 chipset

It detected the new card after bios update thank god might be able to get some remastered cod4 in tonight

Sounds like a very bugged BIOS! I bet that my GeForce GTX 1060 would be fine on a socket 775!

Because it's an nvidia card? lol

I've had to update socket 1155 board bios' to run a gtx 770 before. Nothing to do with which company the card comes from, or being 'bugged'

Some AMD cards have problems related to PCIE revision on older motherboards. I don't know if it's the case here but you may need to check if it's working at manually set PCIE 1.0 or 2.0 ( instead of auto ). On X79 boards some PCIE 3.0 AMD cards couldn't work in PCIE 3.0 slots but manual settings to 1.0 or 2.0 were helping.

It detected the new card after bios update thank god might be able to get some remastered cod4 in tonight

We have seen a lot of this with new cards on old systems... with both nvidia and amd cards alike... s775 or not...

Because it's an nvidia card? lol

I've had to update socket 1155 board bios' to run a gtx 770 before. Nothing to do with which company the card comes from, or being 'bugged'
+1.. so random and unsubstantiated, that comment. Oy.

I've had to update socket 1155 board bios' to run a gtx 770 before.

Sounds like some BIOS issues that I would expect in the AGP era... Because back then, it seemed like everything was finicky!

(Especially Soyo in the early-2000s, had to flash the BIOS (or lower Vcore manually) to stop crashes at stock clocks and had to flash the BIOS to change the multiplier.)

Also reminds me of a bug where you couldn't install Windows XP with a GeForce 2, but could with a Voodoo 3 on a Via KT133 motherboard...

Those are the bugs I encountered in the early-2000s...

Last edited:
Its 2016... just in case that was in question.

Several generations have gone by since......and........ well, yeah.

Sounds like some BIOS issues that I would expect in the AGP era... Because back then, it seemed like everything was finicky!

(Especially Soyo in the early-2000s, had to flash the BIOS (or lower Vcore manually) to stop crashes at stock clocks and had to flash the BIOS to change the multiplier.)

Also reminds me of a bug where you couldn't install Windows XP with a GeForce 2, but could with a Voodoo 3 on a Via KT133 motherboard...

Those are the bugs I encountered in the early-2000s...

Wait, wait, wait. How do issues from 15 years ago apply to today in computer technology?

Its 2016... just in case that was in question.

Several generations have gone by since......and........ well, yeah.

2017 ;)

Lol Idk why but this reminds me of the first time I put a gtx 1070 in my z68 motherboard (which worked just fine btw) but I thought I had the power cable plugged in all the way and I guess I didn't. Lol seriously, the lights came on the screen came on and it wouldn't boot. Wouldn't recognize my card. Then I restarted it and it said plz plug power in to gpu or something like that and I was like wth it is plugged in. Restarted again same thing. Took it completely out, put it back in, plugged it in and this time I could hear the clip catch and realized tho it looked plugged in and it had enough to power the lights, it wasn't plugged all the way. Felt stupid but point is It worked just fine with z68. Even back in 2016.

Back