• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Squerrel Cage" fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

engjohn

where is the best placew to get used/refurbushed/new...
110v or 12v I do not care... I just want one for cooling...

Go to your local Heating and Air Conditioning company. Or maybe to a fuel dealer who works on home heating and ac.

You can also use a bathroom/laundry room vent fan that is ready to use 4" dryer duct vent pipe (flexible).

That was the route I took in fixing my rig. A 110 cfm fan will be more than sufficient. And no, the 110 cfm vent fans do not put the same amounts of air that a 110 cfm or even a 130 cfm computer fan would. It puts out MUCH more.

You can get the 100 cfm squirrel fan vent kit for about 55 bux new at the large hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowe's. You'll also need the 4" flexible duct venting.

Works beautifully!

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

Better yet, go here in the Cooling forum and look at what I started with. Also note the adapter I fixed for the back of my computer.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=95020

I done all that for about 22 bux, but ended up changing the 8" fan for a squirrel cage fan because it is more dependable, I can regulate the speed of the fan better, it is smaller, it blows out much more air, and it is much more durable. Still the 8" worked fine for anyone wanting to save about 25 bux.

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

looks like an awesome and very efficeint way to cool ur pc but ho loud is it and have any of you thought of using this tube to duct it from an a/c?

The pic of the fan setup you saw was not loud at all. Much less loud than Delta fans, and somewhat less than the medium speed fans. However the squirrel cage fan I traded up for is a little louder, but still no where near the Delta fan levels. Plus I added a rheostat to it, a light dimmer switch (made detached with a cord) so when I am not using my system hard, I can turn it down untill it is real quiet. You'd have to listen for it.

And yes, there were postings about running duct from window ac units. I even answered a few questions concerning them posts. The small 5000 ac units will work surperb in cooling a computer, but it is quite expensive to run them, plus you gotta have them vented to the outside. OTOH if your computer would be relatively close to a window, say less than 12 foot, and you could run 4" duct from it, and you fixed a way, a bonnet, too force the ac'ed air to your computer, and still use the ac for room cooling when you're not pushing your computer, then you might have a good excuse to go that route. Unless you just happen to have the money to spare. You can get a small new 5000 btu room ac for about 125 bux.

For those who are going to ask about the ac causing sweating or condensation inside your computer. You should be fine as long as the inside humidity is below 60%(I am erring on the safe side here.). The lower the better, as well as ambient room temps. The trick is, too get as much ac air as possible into your computer system to begin with, because ac air has already had most all of the humidity removed from it! It is already dry air! Therefore you would want to keep outside/room air from mixing with it in your case, as much as possible. Sill a 50/50 mix at 60% humidity (room air) would still be very difficult to cause condensation your case, as you would only actually have about 30%-40% humidity in your case to begin with!

The ultimate ac computer setup would be having a 7500 btu or even larger room ac setup outside, next the wall your computer would be at. (Mite need 6" ducting with larger ac units.) Even an old room ac without the case cover would be excellent, and have a 4" duct pipe run into the house (maybe through the wall, and into the back of your computer. Now have the ac sheltered or in a cooler place, out of direct sunlight and run some switching controls inside, so you can control the ac from your computer desk, and you would definitely have something that could compete with and most likely outdo water cooling. (Do you a little mini-duct straight from the supply, where the ac comes into your computer, to the h/s and it would be awesome! You could pretty well cool your whole case and contents down to almost freezing! only problem is you might have to pay just a little more attention to the possibilities of condensation. )

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
The 12V version is actually a car part... very easy to get just about anywhere new / used / refurb.

Inexpensive squirrel cage fan source...

Came across a source for a decent 120 VAC two-speed blower for $15 at 120 VAC DUAL SPEED BLOWER .

Also, do a search for "blower" on that site; they currently have four different types to choose from (only the linked to above is AC, others are 12 VDC).

Have fun!

- John

Last edited:
Nah, the laundry room vent fans are much better, from the hardware stores. My vent fan measures about 8"X8"X6" and has a 4" opening/adapter built into the exhaust that comes ready to attach 4" flexible ducting. The two speed controls are not that great on the model you showed either. You're much better off with a varible light dimmer switch. The only real drawback to my setup is the price. It is quite expensive at about 75 bux for the blower and light dmmer switch, not counting the duct work.

If someone really wants me to, I can post a pic of my vent blower later on. I think this is the ultimate setup for regular vented air! I've yet to see anything compete with it in this class range. BTW I used work in HVAC several years ago, so I had some ideas about this to begin with.

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

Back