• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MSI z68 GD65 throttling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I submitted a support ticket with MSI Sept 12.I recieved my reply today Sept 29.

Question:
Setting default setting in bios and using a 2600K cpu the turbo boost stop at 3.5 when it should go to 3.8.This is using bios 18.3 or 18.4.

Also when adjusting cpu Ratio to any setting past 47x the board will not hold that setting underload.Ratio 48x works fine till you put load on system then it auto changes back to 47x. I have adjusted all settings avaiable in bios and this issue still exist.

Response:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for contacting MSI Technical Support.
Please don't worry about that,it is normal.
Turboost technology is making your CPU overclocking in idle mode,the CPU frequency will turn back to default value if in full loading.

Best regards,
MSI Technical Support Team
Posted: Sep 29, 2011 by MS

I submitted a support ticket with MSI Sept 12.I recieved my reply today Sept 29.

Question:
Setting default setting in bios and using a 2600K cpu the turbo boost stop at 3.5 when it should go to 3.8.This is using bios 18.3 or 18.4.

Also when adjusting cpu Ratio to any setting past 47x the board will not hold that setting underload.Ratio 48x works fine till you put load on system then it auto changes back to 47x. I have adjusted all settings avaiable in bios and this issue still exist.

Response:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Turboost technology is making your CPU overclocking in idle mode,the CPU frequency will turn back to default value if in full loading.

Best regards,
Wow.... sounds like someone didn't really read your question.

Way to go MSI... glad I bypassed you when choosing my MB and video card. :attn:

Last edited:

Question:

Response:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Best regards,

WTF!?!?!? I thought TurboBoost was there to OC under full load and go back to default (or lower) values when idle?

Translation: They're in some oddball corner of the planet and don't actually speak english especially and hence had to guess at what you were talking about.
Add to that the fact that overclocking isn't something the support team knows anything of, and may or may not void the MSI warranty anyway and you get that response.

I would have been very surprised if anything useful came of it!

Translation: They're in some oddball corner of the planet and don't actually speak english especially and hence had to guess at what you were talking about.
Add to that the fact that overclocking isn't something the support team knows anything of, and may or may not void the MSI warranty anyway and you get that response.

I would have been very surprised if anything useful came of it!

Right on all accounts!!

DFI already proved that addressing random issues concerning over clocking was not very fruitful,I hold out for the hope another MB manufacture will pick up the torch and run with it to help the few of us that lead to many will address are simple tweaking itches we get.

FYI, there is a beta bios out for the Z68 to address these throttling issues. I am in the middle of moving (at the office now), so I wont be able to try this for days.

I managed to test this out for a bit last night and those bios's work! My PC does not seem to throttle anymore!

Here is a link to the change log and N35 bios (N34 is a couple posts above).

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=151148.msg1129811#msg1129811

I am running the N35 with the 2600k and Can't hit 5Ghz. 4.8 easy but not a cent higher.

Want to share your settings?

100x50 but really 48 because cant be stable @ 50... loads plays but no prime

CPU = 1.475
PLL = 1.95
CPU I/O = ???
Other items?

Thanks

Sorry about that. Here is the reason: -
Modify CPU current limit value to fix CPU ratio drop issue when adjust CPU ratio to 50 and run CPU loading test.

PLL way too high :shock:

Try 1.75-1.8v

What was the problem? I don't wanna create an account just to see the change log... :rolleyes:

That is more of what I am used to running.

But I was told to run 1.95v PLL by the hardforum guys... then I searched around and found this.

Will do more testing and get back. maybe the 1.8 will do it, but I was running 1.45 and jumped to 1.95:chair:

PLL default is 1.8 I thought...? Set it there, no need to change that.

CPUv may be low for 5Ghz, but I personally wouldnt run more than 1.45v for 24/7.

Is PLL Override voltage enabled?

Well, in fairness, the initial problem was that a multi over 50 couldnt even be selected. I managed to get a 50x (with enabling Cstates!!!!?!!!!), but once a load was applied, it dropped to 47x. So 50x was a limit as well as throttling. ;)

I have to admit I feel proud for finding this and getting it corrected (though Im sure some users likely reported it before me). No other site either tested that high ofa multi, or actually the one site that did see the issue, didnt mention it in the review...

Last edited:
Good work ED, way to stand up for extreme OCing :D
Now tell Intel that this multi-locking stuff has got to go.

Subscribed, I got a P67A-G45-B3 off flee bay, added a 2500K to it, with 1600 Dominator's. Though I've not seen this issue and yes I know its a different board/chip. I have had random Bsod's with decent voltage, I've had it up to 50 multi and my Bsods seem to only happen under heavy load like in 3Dmark03, it will pass in 3Dmakr05 and 06.

Back