• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MSI z68 GD65 throttling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This issue supposedly happens in P67 chipsets as well. Not sure if there has been a fic for that however.

You need to narrow down what is causing the issue. BSOD's were not part of the problem in this thread (which is resolved, FYI).

This issue supposedly happens in P67 chipsets as well. Not sure if there has been a fic for that however.

You need to narrow down what is causing the issue. BSOD's were not part of the problem in this thread (which is resolved, FYI).

AHH,
OK didn't want to re read the whole thread, think mine is related to my GPU. I have gotten it up to 52 multi :thup:.

Ok i hate to keep this thing alive but i have a bud that is having SIMILAR issues with his z68 gd80 and 2600k. He is having throttling issues but i think they are related to EIST. No matter what he sets his multi to his CPU will throttle to 43 multi when he reaches about 115W. Now i know this seems like it is a Long Short duration issue, but he is having an issue where settings in his bios when disabled or enabled remove other settings that he is trying to adjust. For example he is trying to overclock without turbo, but once turbo is disabled he loses access to the EIST. And without EIST he can not access short and long duration loads. I have told him to investigate whether or not C-State is getting auto disabled, but unless he is trying to go over 50mutli he should have Cstate disabled anyways correct.

So Far this is what we have been following
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

This is the same issue we experienced. Its a bios issue. He needs to update his bios.

This is the same issue we experienced. Its a bios issue. He needs to update his bios.

I wondered if the issue was different as i know you are specifically stating that this was for 50x. So does this have to do with TPU limits not being saved, or is something else afoot here.

Furthermore as per MSI website he is currently using the newest bios for z68-gd80 (b3) 17.1 Is there a specific bios you can point to that he should try.

Furthermore it seems MSI boards vary a bit in terminology from some other manufacutres, am i good to continue to use the guide i linked to above or are we being steered in teh wrong direction. (ie: Is there a better guide more geared towards his motherboard we should be using)

P.S. I am currently losing the arguement with him that SB overclocking is much easier then 1st gen coreI. i hope i can change his mind soon

Its for anything 50X or above or anything really over 43x that uses a lot of power. If he has those power thresholds set, itshould work. If it does not, there is a bios issue. I do not know which one in the GD80 line that has this fix in it IF it has it at all.

Tell him the mobo isnt the CPU and this gen is WAY easier to o/c.

yes i would assume it is only availible in a beta bios as he has the newest public bios...

I guess i might need to do some detective work.

Check out the thread linked to MSI forums and poke around there. Worst case, start a thread and ask for it.

Back