• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8350 - Piledriver - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Untweaked, 3.9Ghz 8320 on 990FXa-UD3 = 11.59 with samsung 830 256Gb not bad.

Impressive, I remember Win 7 booting up in ~12 seconds on my 80GB SSD, but I run Win 7 off my 1TB HDD now. Linux boots in 6 seconds on the SSD now. :D

I also played Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on the SSD, maps on the HDD loaded over 60 seconds but on the SSD it loaded in 10 seconds, good benefit gain.

Boot time with i5-3570k overclocked 18.6 seconds. Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf381zffrpc4736/boottime.jpg

I have an Asus maximus v gene that allows you to set the bios page display time (1s) which helps reduce boot time even further. I can completely reboot in about 25-28 seconds. SSD is a samsung 830 and ram is samsung green overclocked to 2200mhz for this test, normally set to 2400mhz for gaming (but boots are in consistent and sometimes needs to be reset a few times).

I've measured time on my XPS laptop at 12 seconds (from hitting enter at GRUB to login screen). I won't be home until Christmas, so I can't try this drive on an 8350 until then :)

glad I waited

Going to get one & bounce it between a MSI 890fx & 990fx mobo just to if buying the Sabertooth makes that much difference. Note, I came close to getting a intel board & cpu but bought a 7870 instead

Let's get back on topic guys! We're here to talk about Piledriver, not about boot times!

Being completely honest I want to build one of these. And overclock it. Maybe my 2500k is faster than this processor, but it looks fun.

Let's get back on topic guys! We're here to talk about Piledriver, not about boot times!

Being completely honest I want to build one of these. And overclock it. Maybe my 2500k is faster than this processor, but it looks fun.

Thought everyone was comparing Intel to piledriver? Might be lost in translation.

Translation can be a PITA most times. I used to translate pages from English to Spanish for fun, and giggled more than once when something was translated literally.

CPU power doesn't seem to have much of an impact on boot time. With an i7 2700K at stock and a 240GB HyperX 3K SSD my boot time was 9.656 seconds in the HyperX 3K review.

The bottleneck on boot time is the HDD speed. You can try this setting up a RAMdisk and installing a VM there. Boot time? What boot time?

Dose VM have all the windows initialization programs at start up?

I would think that you would need to install a full copy of windows7.

@marjamar
If my memory hasen't failed me since Univ it's taking a section of your RAM and then treating it like a SSD or HDD, however RAM is currently faster than either and suffers far fewer bottnecks. (feel free to poke fun if I got this wrong)

@wingman99
He can create an exact copy of his current machine apps, services ect so it should run through the same initilization that his normal system would have + a few more that the VM he's using probably has to deal with.

That said there is probably some gains/losses to be had with running that in a VM due to virtualization.

AMD's Piledriver FX-8350 Gaming Comparison

oc-piledriver-front-249x300.jpg

When we looked at the Piledriver CPU, we ran it with our standard CPU review HD 6970. However, our CPU review game and 3D benchmark suite is a bit long in the tooth. In an effort to keep our readers more well-informed, we went back to the drawing board to run our much more modern gaming suite (which we use in all GPU reviews) on a more modern, powerful GPU – the ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Better late than never I always say! :salute:

Back