• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor - making it faster, louder and hotter - story time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja

Back in the day I purchased a Raptor 74gig about the time they came out (yes my friends hated me), and now it is my paperweight, and quite an effective one at that. My story goes like this: I did some research, and being the reckless guy that I tend to be when it comes to PC components, I found a way of manipulating the firmware/smart/acoustic management, or whatever you want to call it, to increase the overall speed of the drive, and thereby killed it in the process - it now speaks a pretty bushman Koi-San type language of clicks, scratches and ticks when you plug it in. Even though the drive is meant for high performance server/workstation applications, I found out that it is actually crippled in favour of better noise levels. Now being a fan of fast cars and such, if a machine doesn't make lots of noise then it isn't working hard enough in my opinion. I promptly disabled all acoustic management and found a nice reduction in seek times. However, the drive became seriously hot. My beige-box case had airflow slightly better than a cell in Alcatraz solitary confinement - you could still smell last month's LAN pizza in there - mmm, sweet chili chicken with extra cheese, thin base. It died about three months later. I had lost my invoice slip so I could not take it back to the company I bought it from. Now every good post is one that is ended with a question, for an ending based on an answer is a dead end, and thus a waste of your time in furthering your knowledge. So here is my obligatory question – Has anyone else ever attempted this on any Raptor and can it still be done?

im sure it could still be, and still is done on raptors. But i say just pump a few extra volts into the motor to help it spin a little faster! :p

(yes i'm kidding)

ya i highly doubt disableing acoustic management will kill any hd... its the heat that if not seen to will destroy it.

btw what other things did you do to the firmware and how were you able to edit the firmware?

Yah most harddrives released in the last 3 years (that I have seen) have some type of utility to allow you to control SSC and AAM.

And yah..

Harddrives need active cooling IMHO....

Oh and its not worthless. Contact WD and RMA that bad boy. 5 year warranty cuz its enterprise class storage :)

(It cant have a build date more then 5 years ago cuz they were just rolling off the line in late 2003 :) You have another whole year left )

Nothing wrong with disabling aam. A Raptor is the last drive you'd want in a case without somewhat decent airflow in it. If disabling aam is all you did, then you really did nothing wrong. Hell, I disable it on any drive that I get if it's enabled. I'd rather have my drives running as fast as they can than as quiet as they can.

im sure it could still be, and still is done on raptors. But i say just pump a few extra volts into the motor to help it spin a little faster! :p

(yes i'm kidding)

i would say they died from getting too hot...

overclocked raptors need some airflow!

LOL at you guys :soda:

ya i highly doubt disableing acoustic management will kill any hd... its the heat that if not seen to will destroy it.

btw what other things did you do to the firmware and how were you able to edit the firmware?

I really wish I could remember - I was a total nooob with what I was doing. I do know that Western Digital does not provide utilities, so it could have been 3rd party. I do remember that it was done in a command prompt. I typed in a command and a question came up saying "do you wish to disable....yes/no...." I dunno, something like that. I have a bad memory and a short attention span. After I changed the firmware... LOOK! A potato!!!

Yah most harddrives released in the last 3 years (that I have seen) have some type of utility to allow you to control SSC and AAM.

And yah..

Harddrives need active cooling IMHO....

Oh and its not worthless. Contact WD and RMA that bad boy. 5 year warranty cuz its enterprise class storage :)

(It cant have a build date more then 5 years ago cuz they were just rolling off the line in late 2003 :) You have another whole year left )

Uh, I live in South Africa - I don't think there is such a thing as RMA here - I have never ever never never heard of anyone here doing an RMA. The problem is that I will probably have to ship it to the U.S. or somewhere, and international shipping is expensive. Maybe I should send them an email - I'll attach the hard drive right away! Hmm, it will take a while to upload 74gig...

Nothing wrong with disabling aam. A Raptor is the last drive you'd want in a case without somewhat decent airflow in it. If disabling aam is all you did, then you really did nothing wrong. Hell, I disable it on any drive that I get if it's enabled. I'd rather have my drives running as fast as they can than as quiet as they can.

In hindsight I realise that I was stupid putting it in that case, but so you learn... This drive became REALLY hot after I disabled the AAM, maybe it was a buggy drive - I mean it literally burnt you if you touched it. Hotter than any CPU heatsink I have ever felt, and I have felt HSF on CPU's run passive to see when they crash. It even heated up the entire HDD cage

a Friend of mine in Cape Town has RMAed before. So you wont have to upload it in an email ;)

Yah its expensive to ship outta there, but is it more expensive then buying a brand new raptor?

Anyway no you do not have to ship it to the US, you can ship it to a lot of different places...

WHERE TO SEND IN YOUR DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS FOR YOUR RMA
Customers in United States
Western Digital Technologies
One Morgan
Dock A
Irvine, CA 92618-1917

Customers in Europe
c/o EGL
Am Südpark 10
D-65451 Kelsterbach
Germany

Customers in Brazil
C/o ASP/ ISS do Brasil Serviços Eletroeletronicos Ltda.
Rua Capote Valente 1449 -Sumaré
São Paulo SP Brasil
05409-003
www.issl.com.br

Customers in Paraguay
Western Digital
C/O: ISS
Av. Cañada el Carmen y Av. Teniente 1º Cabello
Cuidad del Este
Paraguay
tel/fax: 595-61-509-532
www.issl.com.br

Customers in Argentina
Western Digital
C/O: ISS
Calle Gorriti 5253 - entre Uriarte y Godoy Cruz nº 1 - District: Palermo Soho
Cuidad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
tel/fax: 54-11-4833-4721
www.issl.com.br Customers in Canada
Western Digital c/o
DHL Global Forwarding (Canada) Inc.
100 World Drive
Mississauga, Ontario
L5T 3A2

Phone number : (905) 405-9300 Ext. 290
Fax number: (905) 405-9308

Customers in Asia
Solectron Technology Singapore Pte Ltd
o/b Western Digital Corporation
Blk 750B Chai Chee Road #01-01
TechnoPark @ Chai Chee
469002 Singapore

Customers in Turkey
UTi (Istanbul)
Balkans & Central Asia Region
Gunesli Evren Mah. Halkali Cad. No:103
34212 Bagcilar
Istanbul
Turkey

Customers in Egypt
UTi (Egypt) Ltd
166 El Hegaz St
Heliopolis
Cairo, Egypt

HTH

Thanks NeurOmancer!

I went onto www.wdc.com and found my way through the site to the international RMA section. I filled in my serial number and country and I get this: (How nice is that:()

it shows as in warranty till 02/21/2009 for me...send it here..:)

RMA.jpg

I'd be really interested in hearing any insight you have into running cpus w/o fans or even w/o a HS!. You see I have a P42.6C and two HSFs, a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu and the stock (Intel I guess) one. I want to test them A<>B to tell how loud they are compared to one another, which I have never done. How long do I have between switching them? What is your experience. Damn I have to go to the garage and see if that mobo has a cpu_fan plug on it for a desk assembly. You know I lost my rye one day because someone thought it was....that would suck in Africa, anyways what kinda ancient-type garbage-picked style mobo is gonna be compatible to this 4 yr old cpu fan_header - has that ever changed and have they always been to the mobo ie not a molex? Now I know how I can do it, I don't a cpu do I? And I guess I don't even need to remove the installed Zalman, I can just unplug it - that'd be safe for the cpu and mobo underneath if I just hooked up any ps to any mobo with the right cpu_fan_pwr plug? Do you think I'd be ok using the Zalman Fanmate on the Intel stock HSF in the real thing for actual use? Did you ever fry any uncooled cpus and how long did it take? Was it really hot? Would you ever like to put bugs on it and see if they could make it off in time?

whats a JP12 or Q18 on a SY-5EHM V1.1? Good thing I found a .pdf schematic cuz I wooda forgotted I stole all the jumper jumper shunt pins: I wooda just gone for it too.

I took a celeron 600 out of a mobo and put in a celeron 700 I also found the mobo. Now I get a cpu chip serial number processor string not found or something message when I boot it goes into a bios-hold. Is this cuz its a oem and it wants its original cpu back. I have to down arrow, enter to get pas tthat scren on boot. will that get rid of the problem - If I put the orig cpu back? we're talking 100MHz of celeron power!

Sorry about your lion, was it running in slave mode?

Last edited:
I have a friend in northern Africa,who was in a like situation and he sent it in,and WD replaced his dead 36Gb Raptor with a New,yes,NEW,74Gb Raptor.I'd send it in,reciept or no... GL.

I'd be really interested in hearing any insight you have into running cpus w/o fans or even w/o a HS!. You see I have a P42.6C and two HSFs, a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu and the stock (Intel I guess) one. I want to test them A<>B to tell how loud they are compared to one another, which I have never done. How long do I have between switching them? What is your experience. Damn I have to go to the garage and see if that mobo has a cpu_fan plug on it for a desk assembly. You know I lost my rye one day because someone thought it was....that would suck in Africa, anyways what kinda ancient-type garbage-picked style mobo is gonna be compatible to this 4 yr old cpu fan_header - has that ever changed and have they always been to the mobo ie not a molex? Now I know how I can do it, I don't a cpu do I? And I guess I don't even need to remove the installed Zalman, I can just unplug it - that'd be safe for the cpu and mobo underneath if I just hooked up any ps to any mobo with the right cpu_fan_pwr plug? Do you think I'd be ok using the Zalman Fanmate on the Intel stock HSF in the real thing for actual use? Did you ever fry any uncooled cpus and how long did it take? Was it really hot? Would you ever like to put bugs on it and see if they could make it off in time?

whats a JP12 or Q18 on a SY-5EHM V1.1? Good thing I found a .pdf schematic cuz I wooda forgotted I stole all the jumper jumper shunt pins: I wooda just gone for it too.

I took a celeron 600 out of a mobo and put in a celeron 700 I also found the mobo. Now I get a cpu chip serial number processor string not found or something message when I boot it goes into a bios-hold. Is this cuz its a oem and it wants its original cpu back. I have to down arrow, enter to get pas tthat scren on boot. will that get rid of the problem - If I put the orig cpu back? we're talking 100MHz of celeron power!

Sorry about your lion, was it running in slave mode?

I am speechless - what is he going on about?

Back