• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 Temps erratic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poco242

I just completed replacing my MB and processor with a Sabertooth and an FX-8350. I have been playing with it a little and I noticed the temps at idle are all over the place. The less work the processor is doing, the more they jump around. I also do not trust the reading I am getting. For example, right now it is sitting at 16c. Seems a little low. I will post 2 screen shots. One at idle, and one while running prime for about 5 min.

Attachments

• HW Idle.PNG
    HW Idle.PNG
    52.8 KB · Views: 445
  • HW Prime.PNG
    HW Prime.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 407
I do have a mild overclock at 4.3ghz right now, but even when I didn't it was like this.

Also, I forget, what is the difference between the CPU temp and package temp on HW monitor?

Poco the Fx chips temperature sensors are inaccurate below 40C. Idle temps are basically useless anyway, hell mine idles at 5c in a 22c room on ambient cooling that would be impossible. The temps also jump all over the place when at idle, don't sweat it, it's just the way they are.

Looking at your second SS do you still have the voltage on Auto? That's a pretty big swing from 1.392-1.452.

I will have to look at that. I just went through quick and boosted the multi by .5 and the FSB by 10 just to play around. I did set the CPUv to 1.4, so I am not sure why it is jumping around like that. I just did it quick. I will go through it again when I am ready to start to OC. Still installing all of my programming now.

Check the Cpu LLC if it's set on Auto that would be the cause of it. I would manually set the Cpu LLC to High or Ultra high, what ever gives you the best results, which would be not over shooting the set Cpu V by too much and also not causing Voltage Droop. Have you turned off all the power saving features ie. cool and quiet, c1e etc?

What temps should I keep under as far as the CPU temp and the package temp? Right now the CPU temp seems to be a lot higher than the package temp. Is that normal? I don't remember my Phanom II being like that.

Use the Asus boards software to read temps. Coretemp and Hwmonitor are almost always wrong and by a fair bit.

Mandrake, I did like you said on the LLC and it seems to have made a big difference. Thanks for that. I also boosted the multi up to 21 and the FSB to 215 for 4.5ghz. Here is after 15 min on Prime 95. I need to get all my programming installed and do a mirror of my C drive before I get too crazy :)

Attachments

• HW LLC High 4.5ghz.PNG
    HW LLC High 4.5ghz.PNG
    70.7 KB · Views: 340
Hi, looking at your ss it seems that your temps in the case are a little high. What is your ambient temp? Being up there in MN I wouldn't think that your board temp would be 35C. Also the difference between core (38C) & socket (52C) is a little extreme. What are your fans in the case?
Dan

They all read the same sensor, and none of them are good below 40c. ;)

Yup but they arent all in the same place requiring it to read slightly different.

HWMonitor and Coretemp give me the same temperature but they are both off by 10C. I tested this until I got my CPU hot enough to shut down at 90C. My mobo manufacturer software reported correctly but the other two didn't.

Try it yourself and it will let you know what is off and what isnt.

I find that HWmonitor, HWINFO64, & Asus Ai suite II all read about the same. But it seems if you have AI Suite installed along with other monitoring programs that things seem to start messing up.

Yup but they arent all in the same place requiring it to read slightly different.

HWMonitor and Coretemp give me the same temperature but they are both off by 10C. I tested this until I got my CPU hot enough to shut down at 90C. My mobo manufacturer software reported correctly but the other two didn't.

Try it yourself and it will let you know what is off and what isnt.

LOL. I have no intention of running any of my processors hot enough to shut down thank you. You go ahead and believe what you like.

LOL. I have no intention of running any of my processors hot enough to shut down thank you. You go ahead and believe what you like.

It works just fine and that is how I know HWMonitor and Coretemp read low by 10C for my mobo. It also depends on the board but if some people will take it right until 62C then say they dont want to push it further due to temps, not knowing it is actually at 72C.

It works just fine and that is how I know HWMonitor and Coretemp read low by 10C for my mobo. It also depends on the board but if some people will take it right until 62C then say they dont want to push it further due to temps, not knowing it is actually at 72C.
This thinking is not really correct. If your board's sensor is the one that is reading incorrectly & it thinks it is 90C then it will shut down. When actually the other two monitors are correct & it is only 80C.

This thinking is not really correct. If your board's sensor is the one that is reading incorrectly & it thinks it is 90C then it will shut down. When actually the other two monitors are correct & it is only 80C.

8350 shut off is 90-92.

Computer shuts off at 80C according to HWMonitor and Coretemp.

The manufacturers software reports temps 10C higher and will report 91C a moment before it shuts off.

So do you follow now that Coretemp and HWMonitor are reading 10C low and are wrong.

Well if you are convinced that HWMonitor, CoreTemp, etc. are under reporting the temp by 10c then use them but just keep that in mind. The Asus software may give you more accurate temp reading but it also has a reputation for causing stability problems when installed.

Well if you are convinced that HWMonitor, CoreTemp, etc. are under reporting the temp by 10c then use them but just keep that in mind. The Asus software may give you more accurate temp reading but it also has a reputation for causing stability problems when installed.

I dont have an Asus board. It's an older Gigabyte board.

Back