• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8350 Temps erratic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Doesn't matter whose board or software. They all read the same sensor the same way. Period. Some will give you an offset option to play with to make everything read alike, but that doesn't make it correct. Want correct?, use an IR thermometer or a K-probe on a good meter. Those are the only two options.

I used the Asus software on my last board. Hated it. Unstable crap. I will just go by HW monitor and Core Temp. They both agree.

What is the max the temp should be on the socket? I know I will not push the package past 55c, but what about the socket?

Well if you are convinced that HWMonitor, CoreTemp, etc. are under reporting the temp by 10c then use them but just keep that in mind. The Asus software may give you more accurate temp reading but it also has a reputation for causing stability problems when installed.

I dunno about AMD, as I haven't even got my first AM3 chip yet, but a Conroe typically is underreported by at least about 5 C.
Real Temp appears to still have wrong settings for 65 nm Core 2s.

The default setting of RealTemp is correct for 45 nm Core 2s.

I used the Asus software on my last board. Hated it. Unstable crap. I will just go by HW monitor and Core Temp. They both agree.

What is the max the temp should be on the socket? I know I will not push the package past 55c, but what about the socket?
Hi, It will be best to use the HWMonitor for your readings. The accepted temps for the Fx processors are - Package (core) 62C & socket 70C. I don't even install the Asus AI Suite II software.
Dan

Thanks Dan, that is what I am looking for.

The socket temp seems high compared to the package, but an IR gun on the back of the board shows a much lower reading. The mosfets on the other hand, next to the socket are pretty hot. I need to add a fan blowing on them.

Thanks Dan, that is what I am looking for.

The socket temp seems high compared to the package, but an IR gun on the back of the board shows a much lower reading. The mosfets on the other hand, next to the socket are pretty hot. I need to add a fan blowing on them.
Yes a small fan blowing on the VRM is a good plan. Also if there is room behind the mobo it is a good idea to put one back there also.
The socket temp will usually be higher than the core. It is a good idea to try & keep it no more than about 10C difference.

You a very smart man. ;)

Smart, we will see :)

I will just do like I did last time when I oc'd my P2 965. Leave both covers off and have a fan blowing on each side. I am talking about a couple of 14" floor fans :) I do think I will rig up somthing permanent for the VRM. I just don't really want to mount it to the cover and have to unplug it every time I remove it. I will fab up some type of bracket.

Sorry Poco I was at the family's for easter.

First in post #9 what was the Cpu Voltage set at?

PPD's suggestion of putting the fans on the back of the mobo and on the VRM section is very good advice. It should get your Cpu/Socket temps closer to the Package/Core temp. From what I've seen these FX's aren't like the Phenoms when it comes to these temps. On my 955 and 960t my Cpu temp was always = to less then the core/package temp. The FX is the opposite in most cases.

I had it at high. There are 2 more levels up from that.

Try Ultra High and post a screenie after 20 min of prime, I'd like to see what it does. The objective is to have the LLC regulate the voltage so it doesn't overshoot or droop too much.

Hey poco,exactly as Mandrake said. LLC has a huge effect in overclocking. Once I got everything under control, CPU temps under 100% load dropped 8C, and socket temp as well. Give the CPU less room for voltage boosting, and it runs cooler it seems.

Lastly, your core temp should never exceed 62C, and socket temp should never be more than 77C. By placing a fan on the rear of the socket, you can usually lower socket temps by about 10C. Plus fans on the VRMS help as well.

I defiantly need some more fans, and reverse my water cooler fans. The directions said to have them running so they blow air into the case and feed cool air through the radiator. I need to make them suck out so they are not blowing that warm air from the radiator into the case.

I measured the temp on the VRM's with a heat gun and they are toasty. I think that is where my high socket temp is coming from. It is bleeding over from the VRM's.

I defiantly need some more fans, and reverse my water cooler fans. The directions said to have them running so they blow air into the case and feed cool air through the radiator. I need to make them suck out so they are not blowing that warm air from the radiator into the case.

I measured the temp on the VRM's with a heat gun and they are toasty. I think that is where my high socket temp is coming from. It is bleeding over from the VRM's.

Ya , you definately want to get that warm air out of the case poco. Any benefit you see now you're losing in socket temps. Just a little chipset fan like this dropped my temps almost 10°c on the socket.

Capturefan.PNG

I love that. What size fan is that? I am also looking into getting some better case fans. I found some 95cfm 120mm fans. That is about double what my case has now I bet. Stock fans that came with my Corsair case.

I love that. What size fan is that? I am also looking into getting some better case fans. I found some 95cfm 120mm fans. That is about double what my case has now I bet. Stock fans that came with my Corsair case.

IIRC, its a 50mm chipset fan.

Back