• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will FX6300 overclock well with only m5a97 r2.0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubPar

As the title implys I'm tossing the idea of upgrading my cpu from FX4100 to fx6300 and hoping to keep my same mother board, as I have limited money lol. I will be re purposing the FX4100 w/asus cheap am3+ board for my daughters computer as MS decided to kill winxp :/ I will be using a CM hyper 212 evo for a cooler on the FX6300. I'm not expecting miracles but a 4.2-4.4ghz would be a nice 24/7 o/c for the 6300, currently running 4.4 @ 1.392v with my FX4100.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, sorry bout the non-sig I'm on my BB.

I wouldn't OC on that board, it has a 4+1 VRM.

If you're hell-bent on it, I would stop around 1.35V as that 6300 will take more power than your 4100.

As the title implys I'm tossing the idea of upgrading my cpu from FX4100 to fx6300 and hoping to keep my same mother board, as I have limited money lol. I will be re purposing the FX4100 w/asus cheap am3+ board for my daughters computer as MS decided to kill winxp :/ I will be using a CM hyper 212 evo for a cooler on the FX6300. I'm not expecting miracles but a 4.2-4.4ghz would be a nice 24/7 o/c for the 6300, currently running 4.4 @ 1.392v with my FX4100.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, sorry bout the non-sig I'm on my BB.

The 6300 will be ok with a small mild overclock. The 4100 your using now looks to be within Pstate voltages with an overclock. It's very likely the 6300 can do the same thing.

You would want to cool the VRM package area with a small fan. A little air flow will go a long way keeping the VRMs cool. Even though these can run pretty hot sustained for periods of time, you will find that would not be recommended. I suspect you won't be running a permanant burn in, so that board would probably last you a long enough time until next upgrade say a year or two?

Not sure if more cores will make a better/faster PC for gaming and what not. Perhaps upgrade the spinner HDs to SSDs and get some more enjoyment from the upgrade. (if not already running SSDs.....)

First off thanks ATM and shrimp for your replies, I'm going to take both suggestions and just upgrade much higher, I'm thinking m5a99x r2.0 or sabertooth r2.0, at a quick glance with local suppliers. Would going to an 83xx be that much more noticeable than a 6300? If I'm going to pony up for a better board should I just nut up and get the 83xx? There goes my tax return :D lol

Make sure whatever board you buy has an 8+2 VRM section.

On a budget, grab the GA-970A-UD3H.

What are you doing with the system? If just gaming you won't see much (if any) improvement from 6300 to 8350.

Make sure whatever board you buy has an 8+2 VRM section.

On a budget, grab the GA-970A-UD3H.

What are you doing with the system? If just gaming you won't see much (if any) improvement from 6300 to 8350.

Ya ATM is right about that and also the 6 core will be a bit easier to keep cool. So possibly a bit higher clock

Just gaming however I'm also thinking about jumping into F@H cause its a great cause and my computer is idle a lot :)

The biggest things to consider with 8 vs 6 is the added heat and power draw so if you really don't have a "need" for 8 you'd be better off with 6. Just like ram 8 gig is plenty 16 is for those that need it.
The next part depends on what you're willing to spend. 8 cores need more cooling for the same clocks. Most of us in here who push the 8 cores are using custom loops. Even a good AIO is pushed to the limits once you get to the 4.7 range.

For gaming and some F@H you'll be fine with a FX6xxx. I have a 6350 on a M5A99FX Pro R2 that runs at 4.6 on a hyper 212 just for reference.

Ok then a 6300 and m5a99x will be the combo for me, maybe I'll look into water cooling, which has interested me greatly but I've never actually priced anything out/ figured what I'd need. Thanks Johan I think I've about made up my mind with my next upgrades.

Quick follow up, :) is it worth it to get the 6350 or is a 6300 the same with lower clocks or is there some sort of binning that goes on?

Well they are the same CPU under neath just like the 8320,8350 and the 9370 are the same. The CPUs are binned for certain qualities and given a higher core speed.
Is it really worth the $20 price difference , I don't know but I do know that mine is a very capable CPU and was very easy to run at 4.6 on air. This doesn't mean the next one will be.
People say the same about the 9370, I have one and it can do things that my 8350 can't and I do believe it is a better CPU than my 8350 ( which is a dog) but in the end they all come from the same process and all are capable of the same clocks. It really depends on the silicon lottery as we say. I have also see 9370s and 9590s that were nearly impossible for their owners to tame.

Lately, except in the case of the FX-9xxx cpus, the faster cpu is normally exactly that...faster. AMD has got this binning thing down to a science. The FX-9xxx processors are a bear to tame for heat when overclocking is begun and we put the cpu in ALL cores working mode.
RGone...ster.

Ok thanks guys, I'm going to spend the extra cash and get the FX6350 in the hopes of getting a real cherry chip :D now I just have to watch for some sales.

the m5a99x is the way to go, I ran my 4170 on my m5a97 R2.0, 4.5 was a horror, it's a denab board. the 6350 cpu will be better binned than a 6300. that means it meets higher standards but processors differ one to the next, and it can be night and day.

Hey OP, I have an fx 6300 myself. I've been running it at 4.8 ghz for a little while now with zero problems. Coupled with 2 gtx 670's, I max out games like Bioshock infinite, Metro last light, and other higher end games at a steady 60 fps (v-sync on) on a single 1080 monitor. On a hyper 212 with push/pull, you might be able to hit 4.5 for 24/7, depending on ambient temperatures and overall airflow of the case. To really lean on the fx 6350, you're looking at water cooling. If you're really interested in running liquid, don't hesitate to come back and ask questions. AFTER READING THE STICKIES OF COURSE in the water cooling section.

Thanks for the tips C/D and infinite :)
Watercooling would be the first step in spending alot of money :D Not that i dont want to, **** pushing 5ghz of a chip makes me feel funny in my pants lol

SubPar you sort of have to watch what people hit you with as an "I can do this", because "Infinite66" has an Asrock 990FX EXT9 mobo and it is one heck of a mobo. Stout and robust. At least the equal of a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. So you sort of have to watch what one says and one of the reasons we are so adamant about having a signature showing parts and pieces in the rig.

I don't remember what sort of speeds "johan" is getting with his FX-6350 on his ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0, which was good to a stable 4.5Ghz ish with an 8 core FX-8350. What you have to remember is that the voltage and the heat thrown off by the cpu are liking rising stair-steps. Some voltage and some heat for the first step and it goes up about like that. 4.0Ghz > 4.3Ghz > 4.5Ghz > 4.7Ghz is a big arse stair step.

Lately most of the 6 core FX-6350 and the 8 core FX-8350 should do 4.0Ghz on stock volts, but then when you get to 4.3Ghz you usually (unless GoLdEn silicon) have to up Vcore and so on as you move up every 200Mhz or so. Like I said the step from 4.7Ghz to even 4.8Ghz is a hefty step up.
RGone...

Woops, RGone is correct. I forgot to mention that power phase part of a motherboard. If you're looking for anything beyond say 4.1 ghz, you need an 8+2 phase motherboard. A 4+1 won't cut if for these FX cpus. I think I posted that comment from my phone, so my sig didn't show. This is important! You can break something if you don't watch what you're doing.

Like RGone says, the FX processors get real thirsty when pushed, and each chip is different. Keeping my 6300 stable at 4.8 is using at times 1.5v under 100% load. Just remember to watch your core temps, socket temps, and voltage. Core should be under 63C, socket under 77C, and voltage shouldn't exceed 1.55v as I have read and was told by others on this forum. Otherwise your chip will die a premature death.

I see what you're saying RGone, i shouldnt expect the moon when im dealing with less than topshelf components, realistically i would be shooting for a 4.2-4.4 clock with whatever chip i get, and i believe the m5a99fx would be at least the best 'budget' board i can get in my area (165 after MiR) compared to a sabertooth at 250, to get me to those clock speeds. I know that summer is coming and unless i move everything downstairs i will have to dial my 4.4 back even on the 4100 cause it gets hot, not mississippi hot :eek: but warm enough i have to cut back.
Maybe one day i will get into watercooling and seeing what these chips can actually do, but as a casual gamer and begining folder i just want something better lol
Thats my piece and it probly doesnt make sense but im sick as hell and thats that.
Have a wonderful day :attn:

Hi, M5A99X EVO R2.0 is a very good board & will handle a 6350. My evo board is running a 4170 at 4.6GHz with no problems. (100% prime stable) Before getting my Sabertooth I had the 8350 in the evo board on air & it was also prime stable at 4.6GHz.
Good luck - Dan

Back