• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Windows rot over time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What causes Windows to die over time?

• Total voters
futura2001 said:
Holy Crap! Somebody still uses Windows ME? I pity the foo'...
Holy Crap! You actually expected something to work with WinME?
Seriously though, Windows ME was a terrible product, and anyone still running it should be given a free copy of WindowsXP or 2k. I'm surprised anyone hasn't charged Microsoft with crimes against humanity for letting that one out of the bag...

tell me about it. <head shaking in disgust> :bang head

he also refuses to upgrade to dsl. :shrug:

nuff said

Welll.......
I came into this thread... Becouse my windows XP2005 Tablet Pc edition is about to receive it first reinstall after 4 months of use...
After reading a lot of info on this thread I concluded?

-Some people that didn[t had problems with windows or mainly saw someone who did not... Is becouse they are quite normal and "light users".... If you jsut send and receiv mail, do some internet banking and type files... print photos.. Ok... It wont rot that easily....
-Anyone who does a litle bit more... And likes to install and uninstall softwares... p2p filesharing... internet gaming... GUI modding.... Unless you really masters the windows manteinance.... You´re gonna face problems...
-Windows could be really a litle better... There´s plenty of people here talkinga about rampage trampling trouble after own microsoft products installation..... That´s teeerrrrible....
-3rd part softwares do really mess sometimes..... I had Win xp Pro twice reinstalled in a computer after using a spyware remooving tool that would cut off "forever" (unless you´re an expert on regedit etc...)my NIC internet communication no matter I tryed...
Blame who??? The 3rd part software or Microsoft that´s hidding the code???

Anyway.... If someone can help me to REMOOOOVE that stuuuupid :-( virtual keyboard button that appears on my taskbar and eats the whole space and hides anyother program opened from the bar.... AAAAAAAAArrrrgh... I´m gonna format this craaaaaaaaaaaaap!
Sometimes I succeed to remanage it´s position.. Then i lock the taskbar... All Ok... I reinitialize the pc and ther is the *** again..... :bang head
Not shure all the problem may be reallated or not to wintuneup styler.. a software i use to mod the GUi.. It looks so nice bt maybe i´m going to trash it... Not shure is it... Cause it worked for 3 months without problem and suddenly.....
Other junk i blame to had rotten my windows may be the kazaalite, emule and limewire + javamachine i installed... Hmmmmmmm I do not use them to much.. .. just for file searching sometimes... but.... :eh?:

In reference to 95>98>2000>Me>Xp>Vista it got better with Xp, seriosly ease of use, plug and play, and interface for noobs. Vista is not rotting, more like the took a sledgehammer to it, had a cat pee on it, drilled holes through it, ran it over, cough on it, then slapped a peice of tape on it and said now improved.

overclock rot :bang head

:cry:

Well here's one for the windows rotting by overclocking. well, not really rotting. more like disappearing.

yeah. I decided to overclock the pcie bus just to see what could happen. went from 100 mhz to 133 mhz.

bad idea.

windows upchucked a few times. then disappeared.

totally.

the directory is completely gone.

whoosh.

never seen it happen before. kinda creepy.

sooooo..... leave the pcie alone....

My most recent problem was the inability to install anything InstallSheild related, InstallSheild's tech support is basicly non-existant, and their website troubleshooting didn't do the trick, I haven't seen one person I googled the problem for who had even fixed it with out a reformat.

This is the 2nd time in 4 months I've had to reformat....

i think my OS has finally rotted away. 3+ years of daily use, and it takes a while to boot (5 minutes?). resume still is fairly quick though and other than that there hasn't been any real noticeable slow down (except for a few bouts wiht spyware and viruses).

running windows 2k pro, was purchased as part of a student program not that i think that would matter.

Dunno about the rot but over time but the bloat that accumulates as dll's in windows directories and subdirectories as well as registry entries that don't completely uninstall surely contribute. That as well as the spyware debacle the past year or so.

Guys try cleaning the prefetch cache folder every week. You may see a few improvements. I installed Windows a couple of months ago and its already becoming sluggish. System is overclocked and stable (look for my posts in the various OC threads and you will see proof), but stupid windows keeps slowing down. Today I had NIC related problems. Is it because I'm a heavy online gamer/person?

If your using XP. Look in C:\Windows\prefetch

It will have programs and items ready for fetching for faster responce times. It is not temp ~inet files. It is for Windows. Most of the time you can ignore it. After a bit, it can be a good idea to clean it out. Since it can become bloated.

Myself I leave items I know I will be using fequently. Anything like installers and unistallers I delete. You can safely delete all the files in the folder. Windows will just rebuild them as you start using Windows again.

no matter how stable your code is in your OS, by the time its done trying to read and file so many different types of code its no wonder any OS last as long as they do. This is without virus, spyware ect. reg cleaners dont cut it

At least when you format Windows Activation works all the time for me cause I've never changed the hardware except my g.card. But I did a reinstall on 29th December 2005 it's been alright I've kept it at stock but I've this PC for a year with XP on.

And I've had to format every 4 months or the odd 5 I don't mess with tweaking have no clue just uninstalling and reinstalling stuff I suppose.

So far, I've had my XP-Pro installed for nearly a year and a half with no issues, except for me now running out of space on my OS partition.

However, i do think that after time, the OS gets fouled up with old .DLLs, hidden temp files, our of date system files from updates, not to mention all the patches M$ releases have to have some affect on the stability of code and mess in the operating system folders.

I would have to say that any OS deteriorates over time, Its just that windows is the worst and deteriorates the fastest. In my opinion windows is the most compatible Gaming OS but it is only the best gaming OS when your reinstall every 4-6months. This may be a little off topic but I think that the Macintosh OS is the most stable OS.I have seen computers running the first Mac OS stably for god knows how long. So yes IMHO windows just downright sucks when it comes to long term stability

Man that felt good :D

my only complaint with the wicked stable os...i never reformat, n therefore i never go through my junk, and lose tons of HD space..so time to time i gotta sit down and delete apps/files/projects i havent used in god knows how long

I devoted ~30GB to XP because of its growth habits. I'll still clean off old junk now and then but only when it's convenient for me and not out of necessity.

wizard james said:
give me another os that i can play battlefield 2 on.. and i will use it..
That is also the only reason I have Windows. To play video games. At first I thought it was maybe my hardware but from the sound of its my OS. I selected 1-3 and 6.

Back