• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

basic system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you know you will not be using a discrete GPU you can use the motherboards PCIE slot to add a wireless card to a board without wifi for less money than it'll cost to buy a board with wifi.

good point, did find motherboards with a mini pci-e slot and also more than half the cost. mini wifi card is $30 plus Bluetooth. so that's the route im going with

Just a FYI I have my sons desktop connected to the internet using a wireless adapter like this one and it works great. Though his room is about 30' away on the same floor as my router, so YMMV.

Very!

Anyhoo it's a TRENDnet TEW-649UB Mini Wireless N300 USB Adapter for $12.00

SupermanNoHere.JPG
Noooo.

You don't want a USB WiFi adapter. You want a PCIE wifi adapter.
You can screw 8dbi antennas onto a wifi card. Can't do that with a USB. Even the stock antennas on a PCIE card will have better signal than a USB adapter.

Well it works well for my sons rig, again he's only 30' from the router but he games on it without any issue. I even checked his connection he gets 20k down and 18 up on a 50k/30k.

Back