• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

basic system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tripleM1515

hey guys,

what would be the best components on the cheap side for basic computer. just to browse internet like going on here, paying bill, music, youtube stuff like that. using excel and word. no gaming at all. 1080p monitor and 2.1 speakers. look forward to hear back

How much are you looking to spend?
Can you make the trip to Microcenter in Orange county Ca?

Definitely look at an APU build.
mITX would also be a good fit for this.

Definitely want an APU or i3 system. 120GB SSD if no storage drive is needed. 250 if you need a little more room. Would probably go with mini or micro-atx. Want Windows or think you could live with Ubuntu? Could go with a prebuilt or an all in one system. A budget would give us a better idea what to suggest.

Like apu and mini ideas. Want to go with windows. There's no budget but I can't see this being more than $600, could it?. And microcenter is exactly where I'm going

If budget is the major driver, I'd look into a refurbished out-of-the-box machine from Dell, Lenovo, etc. You can generally find something that will meet all your needs for the $150-$200 range including a copy of Windows, which will be cheaper than you can build for yourself.

[edit]
Just saw your last post, you can easily fit a beast of a machine for your needs into that budget.

Check out an A8-5500 with an ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
2x2GB of 1866 low timing RAM should do nicely.

For the mITX case, just double check if it uses an ATX, SFX, or 1U PSU.

They don't seem to have the 5500 at MC. Why go with a Trinity processor over a Kaveri? Wattage and heat? The price differences are so negligible when your looking at $10-20, $40 differences between mid-range and top of the line. I'd want R7 graphics still since its all that's all that will probably ever be in this build why not get something with a little room to grow.

This could be a good build for the EVGA Hadron case ATM really likes. Its a little larger but would give you room for a decent cpu cooler, which if you went A10 you would have to have, stock is a pos.

The BitFenix Prodigy is also pretty nice.

It includes a PSU. It's an expensive proposition though, for what it is. You can get a reasonably decent PSU and case for $100.

And to put that in perspective, the PSU that comes with the Hadron is ~$100 for anything comparable.

Honestly though, for the quality of the case and the PSU, it is quite a deal.

And I just picked the 5500 because it is the cheapest quad core APU, you can substitute any FM2/FM2+ A series chip.

what would be the best components on the cheap side for basic computer. just to browse internet like going on here, paying bill, music, youtube stuff like that. using excel and word. no gaming at all. 1080p monitor and 2.1 speakers. look forward to hear back

Surface RT :D Or a cheap/refurbished tablet running either Android or iOS so you could use the free version of mobile Office, or Google Sheet/Docs, or Numbers/Pages, except that you want full-blown Windows so I guess a tablet is out.

For a PC, a cheap laptop would handle all of those needs well. Something with HDMI out should be easily attainable for under $100 used, possibly under $200 or $250 new. Lenovo's refurb outlet used to be a pretty good place to check, it might still be. Resellers snatch up the good deals so quickly now.

there you go, glad I asked you guys cause I didn't think about the wifi which is how I want to connect to the internet. so that ASRock FM2A88X-ITX looks like a good choice. laptop would be a cheap solution but I prefer the desktop

Back