• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Hard Drive Took a High Dive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think a phone would have a better chance of surviving!
They seem to be tough cookies, especially Samsung Galaxy!

my galaxy s5 already has a scratch on the screen. it's so annoying, this great scratch proof glass on an amazing phone and a key ring puts a quarter inch scratch in it.

my galaxy s5 already has a scratch on the screen. it's so annoying, this great scratch proof glass on an amazing phone and a key ring puts a quarter inch scratch in it.

It may still work like nothing happened, even if clubbed, LOL. I saw one where the screen looked smashed and it still worked fine.

Then I forgot about the hard drive up on top of the fridge, which happened to be half on the freezer door.
Weren't you taught as a kid to never do that because it could make cereal spill out of the box when it fell?

Don't be too impressed by a 350g impact rating because a friend of mine had a 3.5" WD MyBook, which normally sits vertically. He accidentally made it fall on its side, and it developed hundreds of errors. He was able to recover most of the data, but lots of sectors were reallocated when he zeroed the drive. It worked OK as late as last year, but the SMART test always terminated immediately.

I don't know what kind of freakishly tall kid you were but I couldn't reach the top of the fridge when I was a kid. :p

I just did a smart test. Everything is OK except for uncorrectable errors... I'm guessing it did do some damage. Guess I'm going to have to look into replacing this drive before too much longer... :rain:

Backups be slow.

Anyway I can set this up so after it's done backing up it restarts and runs chkdsk? I gotta go back to work in like... 30 minutes.

I know you can run chkdsk on a restart, but I don't know how to set your backup to automatically restart the computer.

You could make a task schedule for your backup program.

chkdsk /f, and it'll ask if you want to check during the next boot.

It's about 1/3rd finished and I have about 15 minutes left.

My boss won't mind if I'm a little late, right? I mean... it's my birthday today anyway. Hehehe... :bday:

Thanks Silver_Pharoah!

I typed both /f and /r already. I already ran chkdsk /r when I started this thread. >.O

Thanks Silver_Pharoah!

I typed both /f and /r already. I already ran chkdsk /r when I started this thread. >.O

I've seen the combo of /f /r fix some pretty bad HDD messes, hopefully it'll pull yours back into shape :)

Wha?

I was told /r implies /f as well? :sly:

Heh, don't thanks me, ATM mentioned the missing /r option!

It probably does, but I've always specified both to be sure.

Alright, thanks ATM. The backup is almost finished, I'll restart when it's done and head back to work. I'll only be about a half hour late... :chair: Meh, boss probably won't be there yet anyway. It's his wife's birthday too! :rofl:

Don't forget to go have a few beers for your birthday tonight :thup: :beer:

Beer? That's for the weekends. Liquor is for birthdays! :bday:

The drive still shows up as failing in unrecoverable errors. I don't know what that means really. The drive seems to work fine. Everything else checks out, except that. I can't get a shot of it right now but it's on a chart that says threshold is 0, and the other two numbers, I forget what the columns are called, but they both say 99. Other tests of the drive however that report ok have thresholds of 0 and the other two numbers are 100 or something like that. I don't understand what that all means. :confused:

Back