• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Hard Drive Took a High Dive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I was putting components into my Antec 300 to rebuild my Bulldozer rig and had my 500GB Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD) in hand. Before I could even get it to the case the boss-lady came home from work so I put it on the nearest flat surface - on top of the fridge - so I could go give her a hug and a kiss. Then I forgot about the hard drive up on top of the fridge, which happened to be half on the freezer door. After a while she went to grab something from the freezer and I heard a loud THUNK! and asked "what was that?" She hands me my hard drive and I nearly had a heart attack. :bang head

It fell about 6 feet from the top of the fridge to hard laminate flooring and bounced. I thought for sure the thing was dead. :cry: But I popped it in and it booted right up. I checked the disk for errors and it appears nothing is wrong with it. :eek:

Well I'll learn my lesson not to put any computer parts on top of the fridge anymore. :facepalm:

I messages Seagate about it and told them that I volunteer the hard drive for breeding purposes.

Last edited:
No damage because the heads are parked and locked when the drive has no power.

Surprised it lived, but as ATM said, heads are parked on drives now, so most of the damage is mitigated.

why the hell would you put it on the freezer! that's hilarious.

I tend to leave my stuff on the couch where the dogs can jump on it.

I've tried breaking 3.5" platters before on HDDs, those things are actually pretty tough.
2.5" though.... those shatter pretty easy.

ATM, This was a 2.5" drive. :D

And runningweird, I put it on top of the fridge because that was the nearest flat surface besides the floor where it might be stepped on.

ATM, This was a 2.5" drive. :D

And runningweird, I put it on top of the fridge because that was the nearest flat surface besides the floor where it might be stepped on.

Okay NOW I'm surprised that lived o_O

I've dropped a 2.5 hd in a enclosure from the desk to the seramic floor about 2 1/2 heigh and it still working fine.

My girlfriend dropped her WD external drive when she was in college. About 3 inches from her hand to the desk while it was off. It didn't survive = this is why I like Seagate.

Nothing. You can play basketball with an SSD.

EDIT: Funny you say that, when I got my first SSD the first thing that happened when I got my door unlocked was it slipped out of my hand and fell on the floor. I just laughed because... it's an SSD!

SSDs have a momentary impact rating of 1000G+
If you can cause that, congratulations.

It fell about 6 feet from the top of the fridge to hard laminate flooring and bounced. I thought for sure the thing was dead. :cry:

I would have thought that there would 100 percent be a lot of bad sectors, if it even was accessible at all! :eek:

I dropped a Seagate U-series HDD by accident once, because it slipped out of my grip and hit the kitchen floor. Wouldn't even be as high of a drop as on top of a refrigerator. That probably would be at least close to 6-foot-6-inches! It was only about a 4-foot drop. MHDD showed at least a fair amount of bad sectors afterwards. At least enough for me to chuck it. It hit a corner and broke a chunk of plastic off the Molex power connector.

Last edited:
haha, what? really? that's pretty crazy - so you'd destroy the housing before your managed to damage the storage itself?

Yep, unless you hit it in a way that causes the PCB to break you're not causing damage.

Not super surprising. Most hard drives have a rating of around 350G while the heads are parked, so they're fairly durable.

I knew someone who had all their important stuff "backed up" to a single external drive, one of those tipsy arrangements that stand on the side. It feel over while it was running, and that was the end of that.

Back