• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 Core Sandy Bridge Xeon Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I'm thinking about picking up an 8 core sandy bridge xeon for my desktop pc - has anyone seen folding results for these yet to be released parts?

I'm thinking about picking up an 8 core sandy bridge xeon for my desktop pc - has anyone seen folding results for these yet to be released parts?

Wait til retail parts come out. All the ES chips that folks have can't be overclocked, so they are getting poor results.

Wait til retail parts come out. All the ES chips that folks have can't be overclocked, so they are getting poor results.
Cant oc or dont oc well? Ive seen some es parts that were locked, others partially unlocked, and a few unlocked from 12-23 and supposedly hit mid 4ghz on air. What have you heard about these?

Cant oc or dont oc well? Ive seen some es parts that were locked, others partially unlocked, and a few unlocked from 12-23 and supposedly hit mid 4ghz on air. What have you heard about these?

Can't. Afterall the SB-E's are just SB-E Xeons with two cores disabled. I'm sure they are physically able to run at higher speeds as long as you can manage the heat. All I have seen for SB-E Xeon SE is that the core is locked, and the straps (predefined clocks, such as 125Mhz, which "set" the rest of the system bus at standard) aren't working. This limits to just "FSB" oc-ing which is horrible. This is the first that I have heard of SB-E Xeon SE having unlocked multipliers.

Now if you can get your hands on guaranteed unlocked multi's then go for it. I would be concerned about keeping it cool on air though. Remember 8-cores at mid 4ghz is equivalent to trying to cool two 2600k oc'ed to that level. Hyper 212's kept 2600ks at mid 60C's with ~1.35v and Megahelems were into the mid 50C's at the same level. With eight cores, you have to deal with twice the heat.

Where did you see the unlocked SB-E Xeons?

Last edited:
They should be unlocked to their max turbo multi. I only hope that retail chips have working straps. That will make the 8 core chips worthwhile.

Of course the ones I've seen are on eBay. Search for the seller "inv-recovery". He's got several with screen shots of the multis, but he doesn't know about the straps. He said some people have been able to oc them while others have not.

When I think of unlocked, I think true unlocked like the K series. Yes you can "oc" by going up to the max turbo, but that's only about 2 multi's more. We know that SB-E can get to mid 4Ghz if you can handle the heat, but your not going to reach that using just turbo multis. Haven't seen anything on Hardforum about them getting true unlocked chips or being able to get the straps to work.

The retail Xeon SB-E chips are not out yet. The cheapest 8 core will be around $1000 per in orders of 1000 or more chips. So it will be like buying a 3960x except it should be locked but with 2 more cores. We can only hope the straps are working, if so we should be able to see some very fast dual 8 core machines on the new evga or asus board.

Its funny, having a 4p now just makes these CPUs look tiny! But we are talking Intel, and it is scary to see that 2 of those will probably blow my 4p out the water...

TIME TO START HOCKING THE 4P!! LOL! (no, I will not!)

They'll blow our wallets to bits, before they do anything else! :p

As far as their ppd - to see them working in an overclocked board, you'd need an SR-3, I guess, and most of them need liberal amounts of electricity, as well. 800-1100 watts has been measured for an overclocked SR-2, with the last batch of Xeon's, while folding! :eek: These might be better, but the figures for power needed in the chart above, is not indicative of that.

Intel Xeon E5-2690 and E5-2660 8-core Sandy Bridge-EP Review

sandy_ep.jpg

Its been almost two years, an eternity in our IT circles, since the release of the Gulftown/Westmere-EP Xeon 5600 series. After several delays, the Socket 2011 based Xeon E5 2600 series (formerly codenamed Romley) is officially launched today, with Intel porting over the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture to its 2P Xeon offerings. Featuring IPC improvements and two additional cores on higher end SKUs, Chipzilla reaffirms itself as a runaway leader in the x86 Server/Workstation market. Read on for our review!

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-x...ndy-bridge-ep-review/15122.html#ixzz1oSpjLKgT

Looking at the bench marks for this beast, vs the 6274; you can see that a 4p IL is almost as fast as a 2p Xeon (xeon just about twice as fast)... Could one gather (without Overclocking) that a 2p Intel setup could yeild a similar, if not better, performance return and with LESS power than our 4p's running 6174/6274 CPUs? sure Intel is more expensive, BUT from what I can add up, I paid $1750 for my CPUs and $638 for my MoBo, x2 of the 8/16 Xeons would be $2200, and an SR-X would be just about the same as the SM 4p board... Diffrence of about $450 (not too shabby if the powerdraw is good)... and if it beats out the 4p in power consumption, one could overclock to match the current powerdraw of the 4p, and just smash face with PPD on a 2p!!

Is 2p Xeon our next upgrade?

Not for this guy... I will however be looking forward to AMD's upgrade to IL/Bulldozer... 63XX?

/whisper - If my wife pops in... tell her I am not reasearching for ANOTHER computer :chair:

F@H tends to be it's own benchmark. Although it uses floating point operations a lot, it scales very well with more cores. No doubt the new Xeon's are the latest and greatest, now, but in two years or 3, there will be another "latest and greatest", from Intel. But it won't use that same socket - so an investment in that sexy SR-X mobo, will be dead-ended, without an upgrade path.

Hopefully, the G34 socket will be supported for much longer than Intel's sockets have been, and we can enjoy the upgraded cpu's from AMD, with the mobo we have.

Back