• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T overclock problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When using the FSB you need to keep all the other busses, NB, HT and mem in check as well. They adjust upwards with the FSB. If you have a stable clock at 3.8 saved then start over from there. You'll have to raise the FSB to run the memory at a higher speed anyway.

I'm using ibt to test stability, 10 run wit 1024 memory, 20 for "rocksolid"..
Stability is different for everyone, that said, I do not find IBT to be totally reliable. I have had issues when running 20-30 runs of IBT with stability where as, for what I use my rig for, if I can pass 2 hours Prime blend I do not. Try running Prime blend for 2 hours at your stable 3.8 settings and see if it passes. This will help us all get on the same page and make it a bit easier to push forward, if the chip will do it.

So you had the CPU/NB at 2600 at one point, correct? And at that point your HT Link was only 2000, correct. It may help to bump the HT Link up to say 2400 as the Thubans don't like a wide differential between the CPU/NB and the HT Link.

When you tried the FSB with the overclocking did you realize that raising the FSB also raises the memory frequency, the CPU/NB frequency and the HT Link frequency at the same time? They are linked together. When you use the FSB you have to keep an eye on the other two and make adjustments if their frequencies get too high. This is where most beginner overclockers go wrong when using the FSB.

My usual approach is to lower the RAM divider one notch below what it is rated for. So if the RAM is rated for 1333 mhz I will set it ot 1066 in bios. I will also lower the CPU/NB and the HT Link to 1800 mhz. I'll give the CPU voltage a .025 bump and set the CPU/NB voltage to 1.225. All this at the front end. Then I start to increase the FSB in 5-10 mhz increments until I can't pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Then I'll add a little more voltage to the CPU to get it stable again. My goal is to get the RAM back up to it's rated max frequency using the FSB only so as to make sure I'm not under utilizing my RAM. I don't touch the multiplier until I get to that point. I also keep an eye on the CPU/NB and HT Link frequencies as I raise the FSB to keep them from getting too high and causing instability. I shoot for 2500-2600 on the CPU/NB and about 2400 on the HT Link. 1.225-1.25 volts seems to be adequate most of the time to support the CPU/NB at this frequency level. After I have gotten the RAM frequency back up to snuff then I revert to the CPU multiplier if there is any overclocking room left in the CPU.

So you had the CPU/NB at 2600 at one point, correct? And at that point your HT Link was only 2000, correct. It may help to bump the HT Link up to say 2400 as the Thubans don't like a wide differential between the CPU/NB and the HT Link.

When you tried the FSB with the overclocking did you realize that raising the FSB also raises the memory frequency, the CPU/NB frequency and the HT Link frequency at the same time? They are linked together. When you use the FSB you have to keep an eye on the other two and make adjustments if their frequencies get too high. This is where most beginner overclockers go wrong when using the FSB.

My usual approach is to lower the RAM divider one notch below what it is rated for. So if the RAM is rated for 1333 mhz I will set it ot 1066 in bios. I will also lower the CPU/NB and the HT Link to 1800 mhz. I'll give the CPU voltage a .025 bump and set the CPU/NB voltage to 1.225. All this at the front end. Then I start to increase the FSB in 5-10 mhz increments until I can't pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Then I'll add a little more voltage to the CPU to get it stable again. My goal is to get the RAM back up to it's rated max frequency using the FSB only so as to make sure I'm not under utilizing my RAM. I don't touch the multiplier until I get to that point. I also keep an eye on the CPU/NB and HT Link frequencies as I raise the FSB to keep them from getting too high and causing instability. I shoot for 2500-2600 on the CPU/NB and about 2400 on the HT Link. 1.225-1.25 volts seems to be adequate most of the time to support the CPU/NB at this frequency level. After I have gotten the RAM frequency back up to snuff then I revert to the CPU multiplier if there is any overclocking room left in the CPU.

Ok I'll be back in a week as atm I have to do a few exams, I Will try your method, anyway I was aware that fsb bump them all and lowered everything else the last time I tried!
Thank you all for the moment..

OT would be wise to change MB to get something more? Or would be better to wait for ddr4?

The motherboard you have now should be adequate for getting the most overclock on air cooling out of your current CPU. I do not think moving to a DDR4 motherboard will give you any advantage even if it supported the 1090T from a socket architecture perspective. In fact, I do not think moving to DDR4 will benefit very many people for sometime to come. The current generation of CPUs have all the memory bandwidth they can handle with DDR3. Any real benefit would be to those running server motherboards with multiple CPUs. Instead, you might want to look into getting some DDR3 1600. Usually, the Thuban core CPUs will run stable with 1600 mhz RAM. Their integrated memory controller (IMC) is rated for 1333 but it's stout enough to usually be able to run stable with 1600 mhz RAM. And if you do that, don't get Kingston. It doesn't play well with AMD.

Canister, once you have made enough posts we would like you to create a "Sig" with your system specs in some detail. You will have access to this feature when a gold star appears under your name in the avatar area. Takes a certain number of posts. That way the info travels with every post you make and that helps those who are helping you. It's a common courtesy on the forum. To create a Sig, go to the top of the page and click on Quick Links. Then click on "Edit Signature". You can refer to mine or to one of the other regular contributor's Sig for guidance as to what info we like to see included.

Last edited:
I have not even heard a silent whisper of the AM3+ motherboards going to DDR4 ram. With the way that AMD has currently abandoned the Discrete cpu platform for DIY'ers, I doubt that the motherboard makers will design a platform for AM3+ and DDR4, so that type ram is likely a mute point. I am currently beginning to think of another kit or two of DDR3-1866 ram, since DDR3 will rise in price when Intel finally moves to DDR4 on their top of the line socket platform. Well when and if they get around to it.
RGone...ster.

Back