• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Project and Team 32 in Decline

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

In August, Folding@Home had about 343,000 folders, in total.

Today FAH is at
Today we are 244,597 computers strong and growing fast.

That's a decline of almost 100,000 folding computers, in just these last several months.

Also, team 32 is down to 170 active members. :shock: That's the lowest I've ever seen it.

And now, for the first time in well over a year (that I know of), we have a threat:

team32Threat.JPG

Gaining over a million points each day, currently.

Ideas and opinions, welcome.

could someone link me to the thread on setup, I tried once but I was being a bit of a knob and got too lazy to set it all up

The ending of the PS3 project has caused a lot of machines to be lost. The people didn't leave, they were terminated. Add to that the recession and people having to cut back on folding to save $ and you have a lot of zeros on the 1st page.

On the other hand, point inflation and the significantly increased ability of both GPUs and CPUs has dramatically increased the points. In the beginning some WUs returned only 25 points a day, now we are up to several thousands.

Way more work is being done and hopefully as the economy recovers so too will enthusiasm for distributed projects.

Keep folding guys!!

Perhaps we can find a cure or contribute to one, ONE machine at a time.

I had to quit folding for a while cause I was heavily into cc debt...I'm almost done with it and will grab an 8 core or 10 core sandy or ivy-ep cpu soon that will fold as much as possible.

My gpus are dedicated to coin mining, since it makes me a lot of $ currently and is the main reason I got out of (most) of my debt so far.

This was all done AFTER the PS3 folding was phased out.

Hopefully the downward trend for FAH, and for our folding numbers, are going to be able to rebound.

Last edited:
Electricity costs money and here in FL, the weather has not been very helpful enough to turn off the Air conditioner and have my PC on 24/7 folding.

Nice going RyanCouch :thup:

Yeah, I have been noticing that Threat creeping up behind us slowly too...

We are going to have to do something about that I am thinking and its good to see extra people stepping up to the challenge already ^^

My points are likely to drop considerably for a short time while I sell my 7950 finally - they are going for Silly money on ebay (UK) right now... better model versions even 2nd hand are selling for the price of brand new R9-280X cards xD

(why did my father forget to bring my 7950 box n bits down I asked him to bring when he visited my place last week... -.-" )

so, a performance boost is on the horizon from me I suspect !

Man... Wish I could have stayed in the fold! I feel bad now!! Heck, I am hocking gear just to buy my kids Christmas presents without having to use CC's...

Man... Wish I could have stayed in the fold! I feel bad now!! Heck, I am hocking gear just to buy my kids Christmas presents without having to use CC's...

Priorities good man!

Oh and just in case I'm not the only one who slacks on these things, I finally updated my drivers, usually only do that if I have issues or reformat, and gained a bout 19-20k PPD on my 7970 with the current ones (not sure what I was running but guessing early 2013 drivers)

Economics has my folding down to just a few days a month. I've been searching for work, if I land a job, my folding stats are sure to improve drastically. ;-)

Electricity costs money and here in FL, the weather has not been very helpful enough to turn off the Air conditioner and have my PC on 24/7 folding.

Yes it does! I'm in So. CA myself, near the desert. We just had the Greenies force the nuclear power plant that served us, to entirely shut down. So our electric rates have risen, and will continue to.

I want to grab those Greenies, and ask them WHERE do you think you're going to get the electricity to run all these electric cars you desperately want us to buy? :screwy:

Right now, during the Summer months, we are running close to the edge, as it is. Next stop - voluntary and rolling blackouts.

I've got a pretty good cross ventilation thing going on with windows and fans, but it doesn't work when the hotter days of Summer arrive. I have to shut down then.

Well done with that driver update, Jaymz! I'm sure most of us don't even think about that, but once in a blue moon.

Curecoin is an interesting idea. It could be the biggest thing to hit FAH, since the idea of having teams - or it could just fizzle out. I'm going to put a system over there, and see what comes of it.

If it fizzles out, I figure I can blame Ivan! :D

Explain the concept and who pays who?

Research cryptocurrency and you'll understand, hard to explain.

Curecoin is some sort of 'coin', that pays you $ in coins based on your ppd.

Well done with that driver update, Jaymz! I'm sure most of us don't even think about that, but once in a blue moon.

Curecoin is an interesting idea. It could be the biggest thing to hit FAH, since the idea of having teams - or it could just fizzle out. I'm going to put a system over there, and see what comes of it.

If it fizzles out, I figure I can blame Ivan! :D

:p Feel free to do so...hope it draws more people to f@h.

Explain the concept and who pays who?

Didn't have time to go through it all, but apparently Curecoin lines up sponsors and benefactors who want to stimulate some distributed computing project. Then, as you fold, you earn a SLOW stream of Curecoins.

It's like bitcoin mining, but instead of mining to earn the coins, you fold for certain projects - FAH being the first one on their list, apparently.

Decades ago, they (United Devices, not FAH), used to pay folders in $US, but then once the point system came into play, people were glad just to donate their system and the small cost of running it.

That small cost not being so small anymore, they've come up with this concept. If they get it to work, it could be a huge recruiting aid, but that's a big IF.

The Curecoin admin has proposed giving Curecoins to folders, even if they are folding on other FAH teams, as well as other projects (ie. possibly World Community Grid, etc.).

Last edited:
Didn't have time to go through it all, but apparently Curecoin lines up sponsors and benefactors who want to stimulate some distributed computing project. Then, as you fold, you earn a SLOW stream of Curecoins.

It's like bitcoin mining, but instead of mining to earn the coins, you fold for certain projects - FAH being the first one on their list, apparently.

Decades ago, they used to pay folders in $US, but then once the point system came into play, people were glad just to donate their system and the small cost of running it.

That small cost not being so small anymore, they've come up with this concept. If they get it to work, it could be a huge recruiting aid, but that's a big IF.

That's kind of cool actually. It might bring some people back. I'm getting some things set up to fold and wanted to know if you still use the beta client for GFX cards or if it's updated now.??

Back