• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your server set-up (with pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for that bit of info.

p.s. i just got a bunch (18) older (win 95 or 98) computers. one even has a 42MB HDD. (its a BRS 368sx/16) would a socket 7 CPU be good for a small file server.

thanks for that bit of info.

p.s. i just got a bunch (18) older (win 95 or 98) computers. one even has a 42MB HDD. (its a BRS 368sx/16) would a socket 7 CPU be good for a small file server.

It wasn't all that many years ago (late 2005?) that I had a file server based on an AMD K6-2 500MHz. It performed just fine.

before virtual machines were available to home users for free, i used to buy cheap socket 7 systems off of ebay to use as testing machines. i used to use them as webservers, file servers, domain controllers and even an exchange server. they weren't the fastest but they worked for what i used them for. basically the limiting factor for a socket 7 system as a file server would be the maximum sized hard drive you could use with it. some older socket 7 systems couldn't handle very large hard drives due to bios limits.

based on a K6-2 750MHz duron

Duron != K6-2. Durons are K7, same as the Athlon. Still, though, a K6-2 should have enough processing power for a basic fileserver, provided you use a decent board (i.e., not one with a SiS or VXPro chipset, or anything like that), but even then you'd probably want to use a PCI IDE or SATA card to avoid performance and size limitations that exist with most of the onboard IDE controllers.

Heres my... home... servers :D (serving the picture below)

towers.jpg

9 GHz of power there, and thats not all of them. Because of the height of my ceiling, I can not stack my file server or my rack mount servers with those lol.

In that stack, only three of those are active and I'll probably sell one of the middle two along with two of the dells I have. Pics coming of my rack mounted servers, UPSs, networking gear, new file server build.

hey ben! Your servers are kinda pokey. Just took like page load + 15 seconds to download that image fully. Moving some files are we?

The web server ATM is temporary. I just moved from the third server up in that stack to the top one (which has consideribly less power) but only temporarily.

74739dc144de53711d154f740e0a4c5b.jpg

3ca623df1e1eb304466c5811f9ff9df7.jpg

The web server ATM is temporary. I just moved from the third server up in that stack to the top one (which has consideribly less power) but only temporarily.

Its not a cpu power, you just don't have the bandwidth on your cable internet that you think you do for hosting :) Not to mention your isp probably sets low priority to your packets to keep you from having a good amount of bw at hand :)

Last edited:
Yeah Tyler, you have DSL so :p

CPU Power is a factor to some extent. Usage was low on the dual Xeon box but its pretty high with the game servers and web/SQL all running on the same single CPU box. I was also doing some downloading/seeding, but my servers are usually pretty fast. Internet is rated at 8 down, 768k up but speed tests have said as much as 20 down and 2 up. BTW, post the specs of your Proliants.

Yeah Tyler, you have DSL so :p

CPU Power is a factor to some extent. Usage was low on the dual Xeon box but its pretty high with the game servers and web/SQL all running on the same single CPU box. I was also doing some downloading/seeding, but my servers are usually pretty fast. Internet is rated at 8 down, 768k up but speed tests have said as much as 20 down and 2 up. BTW, post the specs of your Proliants.

I run a webhosting company, I have no need to use my home net :)

Mainly why I have so many servers (that and I bought them all cheap) I have one or two running services on the internet, the rest are just for testing dev/testing. For my needs it works fine, so no need to buy hosting.

I wish i had more boxes, vm's are a pita to dev in sometime. 2 servers just isnt enough.

Heres my... home... servers :D (serving the picture below)

towers.jpg

9 GHz of power there, and thats not all of them. Because of the height of my ceiling, I can not stack my file server or my rack mount servers with those lol.

In that stack, only three of those are active and I'll probably sell one of the middle two along with two of the dells I have. Pics coming of my rack mounted servers, UPSs, networking gear, new file server build.

Ghetto ben and his power sucking hardware... i think the country should tax him for all the power he uses :p

and HOLLY CRAP that pentium pro box is bloddy ****ing huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back