• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ancient computer magazines (56k warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrome-

I couldn't help but to look back at one of my old ones, and laugh at how utterly slow and obsolete this stuff is.

dsc007053vx.jpg

dsc007146cf.jpg

dsc007219sl.jpg

dsc007220zu.jpg

dsc007246cf.jpg

I have a working 486 at home and I'd *still* like to get a DX4 in there. It was like the quest for the Holy Grail at that time. Never did find one.

"the 90 MHz Pentium outguns them all"
Fun how far technology can go, eh?
That $2,500 machine would sell for <$100 today. Sort of why I would advise from spending an obsene amount of money on technology. Since it will be worth little in a decade.

I was building PCs full-time for years before the advent of the P90. I had one for a personal machine (OC'ed to 100MHz... whoohoo). It was actually quite an improvent over the P60@66MHz I used before that...

If you want the really period PC mags, I've still got a whole bunch of the old phone book-sized Computer Shoppers about. I think I've still got one heralding the coming of the then-new i486DX-33's. Touted as burning rubber across the desktop, or some such. In retrospect it does seem most quaint.

larva said:
I was building PCs full-time for years before the advent of the P90. I had one for a personal machine (OC'ed to 100MHz... whoohoo). It was actually quite an improvent over the P60@66MHz I used before that...

If you want the really period PC mags, I've still got a whole bunch of the old phone book-sized Computer Shoppers about. I think I've still got one heralding the coming of the then-new i486DX-33's. Touted as burning rubber across the desktop, or some such. In retrospect it does seem most quaint.

Pictures! :D

haha old school. My first windows computer was some old packard bell with win 95 and pentium pro. it had a 2 gig hard drive. big woo there. but back then it was smokin. I was just a little peep. I can rember helping my dad set up, and later, him cursing at it trying to get AOL to work. LOL :D

zomg!! this brings back OLD memorys

http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav35.html

Somewhere, burried under a sea of crap, I have a newspaper clip from when scientists thought they had made the breakthrough in room temperature fusion (1988 or 89). On the back of said clip is an add for a "high speed" 16mhz 286 with EGA monitor. Asking price, three grand.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
ill giv u 50c for the 90mhz pc ;)
I may just be able to hook you up, I've got an entire motherboard box full of old CPUs in the other room... Nexgen Nx586, anyone? How bout some fine Cyrix's? Ever seen a K5? Ahh, the memories.

larva said:
I may just be able to hook you up, I've got an entire motherboard box full of old CPUs in the other room... Nexgen Nx586, anyone? How bout some fine Cyrix's? Ever seen a K5? Ahh, the memories.

k5? put that thing to good use. get it folding tinkers for yatta! lol

Dunno, don't want to show anybody up. Fear my 115.5MHz... (66fsb x 1.75... one of the all-time ******* setups... lol.)

Crap. Just went through the old stuff, and I diddn't keep as much as I thought. I knew I tossed the Nexgen's board, but I guess I tossed the chip as well. I filled a dumpster with all the old crap I cleaned out of my office on the day I left my last serious PC job. I guess I threw away more than I even remembered.

Anyway, here's a pic of a few golden oldies I did find still laying about, including an AMD DX4-120, two K5s, a Cyrix 6x86MX, and a P66. And a few original Thermaltake "Golden Orbs"--the original high-performance PC heatsink.

Attachments

• old_crap.jpg
    old_crap.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 324
Back