• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ancient computer magazines (56k warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
larva said:
If you want the really period PC mags, I've still got a whole bunch of the old phone book-sized Computer Shoppers about. I think I've still got one heralding the coming of the then-new i486DX-33's. Touted as burning rubber across the desktop, or some such. In retrospect it does seem most quaint.

Yea, I have a few of those sitting around, mainly due to my dad since I was very young at that time.
This thread makes me feel old tho, I recall actually looking through magazines like that during those days, lol.

If anyone has any other old computer-related magazines/etc, please take pictures and post them as I would love to see them.

anyone imagine getting one of those old systems in needing repair? dead hard drive / similar? a couple months ago we had a 386 come in, the woman said shes had it since early in 94, and its been her workhorse since. i dont know what she does on it exactly but it sits in her home office under the dot matrix printer. id like to know where she can still find ribbons for that thing, or if she has to use like a stamp pad refill thinger and fill them back up with ink herself lol.

while i had used win3.1 back long time ago, i was completely lost trying to remember whats goin on. that was truely a mission lol.

Ribbons are still available for the more common models of dot matrix printers. I've still got a 7 color, 24 pin printer that I occasionally use if I need to cheap out on costs. $15 for a color ribbon is much better than $50 for a set of ink cartridges. And it's only $5 for a black only ribbon. Also, since dot matrix printers are the only ones that can print multi-copy forms (you get the pink one, the store keeps the yellow one and the white one goes to head office) they are needed by business still, so there is still a big market for producing them.

here's some old books for ya

Scan0003.jpg Scan0002.jpg
these were published in 1987 and in 1989
Scan0001.jpg
published 1991

I used to live by these books. Still bring them out once in a while. I'll post pics as i find more.

I even have a unix book by the guys that first wrote unix for AT&T. I'll see if i can find it.

I have an old book that mentions the Cray 2 as the fastest supercomputer in the world, being more powerful than even the Cray X-MP. It also mentions that silicon ICs were reching the end of their life, and that the next Cray will begin the transition over to Gallium Arsenide.

i have an old 286 pc with an overclock button, normal speed is 8mhz, but if you hit the "turbo" button it runs at 12mhz

crazy speeds back then, think my parents paid about $1200 for it

used to have to rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys files just to free up enough memory to run the original Links golf game

threeme2189 said:
to think that today you can get the best system in that magazine for like 10$ in a yard sale or find hundreds of em in junkyards.

Where is one of these junkyards you speak of? I collect the old trash computers...
I'll have to ask the people I bought my Commodore 64 from if they've still got any issues of "Gazette" or "Compute!".

Alright guys, don't get me started on posting my computer collection now, lol. CPUs, 5MB hard drives, 5.25" floppy drives, Macs from the 80s, 286 and 386 motherboards, the list goes on and on.

If anyone is wondering why computers cost so much back then, it's because they wern't that popular and it cost a lot more to produce them. After small companies and families started to purchase them, there was pretty much one in every home by 92, prices dropped tremendously, and we can now build a computer for 1/6 if what they cost back in the day!

I'm a proud owner of a home build Pentium 200MHz machine with dual boot DOS 6.22 with windows 3.11 on top of that, and windows 98SE. :D

Celeron_Phreak said:
there was pretty much one in every home by 92
Tell that to my sister who got her family their first computer about two months ago. :shrug:

Bump, found some old processors lying around.

dsc009592hs.jpg

dsc009616il.jpg

Darnit, that 90mhz blows away that 75mhz Gateway I got sitting in my garage. Got it from a friend, who upgraded, heavily. The sucker still could chug away with windows 95...

So far is such a short time....

I'm in a computer repair class at school, and I had to reinstall Win95 and a bunch of software on a P90 with 48MB today. It had a graphics card with an amazing 256KB of memory.

Best-Gaming-Machine.jpg

I posted this as a separate thread. It's just funny seeing all that hype packed into a single, gaudy case sticker. :p

petteyg359 said:
I'm in a computer repair class at school, and I had to reinstall Win95 and a bunch of software on a P90 with 48MB today. It had a graphics card with an amazing 256KB of memory.

Why on earth would they make you do THAT?! Waste of electricity.

Back