• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iPad 2 Wifi chip dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Hello friends.

Despite my advanced age, I live at home (*sigh) and am tech support for my family. My mother's iPad 2 has been having very poor WiFi performance of late, and I can't figure out why.

The iPad 2 was purchased new in December 2012. I assume it sat in a box for 1+years before that. It's been used daily since then, but still holds a good charge to this day.

When we first got it, in 2012-mid 2013, we lived in a house and had a crappy built in wifi router in our modem. Wireless performance (on a 30mbps ISP plan) was decent. Streaming video always ran smooth. No real complaints.

Then we moved to a building in mid 2013 and things have started to deteriorate. Using the exact same modem/router thingy, we were having very poor performance. Videos would take minutes to start only to freeze up, things from the app store just plain wouldnt start downloading, etc. 2 Months ago I got a rock bottom-end HP win8 laptop. It too was getting poor wifi performance with the current equipment. So we upgraded to a TP-Link Archer C7 WiFi router (5db antennas). Now my laptop gets decent (tests at 30mbps on speedtest.net) WiFi performance, but the iPad still struggles. The same youtube video starts in 5 seconds on the laptop, but takes 1 minute to start on the ipad, only to stutter.

I notice there are a crap ton of other WiFi networks in my building. I used inSSIDer to see what channel everybody was on and switched to an unused channel, but surprisingly this WORSENED performance. InSSIDer suggested I move to another channel, which I noticed was quite heavily populated. Nonetheless performance is good. But not on the iPad.

What is going on here? I'll buy an Airport Extreme if you guys think it'll make a difference. My friend has one and he practically prays to the thing...

Yes but why was it ok when I first got it at similar ranges? Now it's not? What gives? Can WiFi chips/antennas "die"? Well that's a stupid question... of course they can, but can they degrade I mean?

It seems to have gotten worse. She has to be within 15-20' to connect reliably, it seems.

So yours is "degrading" shall we say? Just like mine?
WTH?

It used to connect from further away more reliably right?

yes it seems to be worse now, but was never really good. I have tried 3 different routers and none seemed any better than the last, as far as for the ipad.

Back