• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel HEADACHE! i dun think you know this one!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

!!tio!!

I have experience with some problems on my computer. The problem is when it is in the Windows 98 starting screen, it start loading but nothing appears after few mins or even longer! there is a strange noise from the hardisk!

Then i try putting the win98 bootup diak but it doesn't work at all (still at loading screen)

The I try to press F8 and try to boot in safe mode... same thing happen! The PC is only 3 weeks old. Can you check if this configuration is alright?

Intel P3 866EB Socket
Intel D815EEA2L
Maxtor Quantum Fireball 20 AS
Hyundai PC133 256MB
Panasonic 48x
Topcon LCD
300W power supply
Logitech Cordless Mouse + Keyboard (The last thing I install before it was like that)

No PCI card no AGP card no printer serial or USB devices

Also the LAN driver installation option was disable too! Can you help me with it? I would like you to email to me as soon as possible
:mad: :mad: :( :(

i think it's either the hard drive or the motherboard causing trouble.....i would try the hard drive on another computer and if it doesnt work then return the drive

it could be a noisy HD, i have one of those, when its pulling data off really quickly, it sounds like a bunch of clicks all together, been like that for 3 years now, havent had a problem ever, so it could be the data getting pulled

etomac said:
I have experience with some problems on my computer. The problem is when it is in the Windows 98 starting screen, it start loading but nothing appears after few mins or even longer! there is a strange noise from the hardisk!

Then i try putting the win98 bootup diak but it doesn't work at all (still at loading screen)

The I try to press F8 and try to boot in safe mode... same thing happen! The PC is only 3 weeks old. Can you check if this configuration is alright?

Intel P3 866EB Socket
Intel D815EEA2L
Maxtor Quantum Fireball 20 AS
Hyundai PC133 256MB
Panasonic 48x
Topcon LCD
300W power supply
Logitech Cordless Mouse + Keyboard (The last thing I install before it was like that)

No PCI card no AGP card no printer serial or USB devices

Also the LAN driver installation option was disable too! Can you help me with it? I would like you to email to me as soon as possible
:mad: :mad: :( :(

Belive it or not I used to have this problem myself, you would laugh at me if you knew why.. it seems some how or another while I was messing around in my computer I managed to pull the plug lose from my floppy drive..

and my computer would take like 3-4 mintues to boot or not boot at all and grind my hard drive, give me some bsod's and the floppy wouldnt work (duh hehe) I finaly dug in there when I needed to use a floppy disk.. (like once a blue moon).. and low and behold my power cord got pulled out..

Well I pluged it back in.. rebooted... and she poped right along like she used to... makes not much sense, but thats what it was for me.. good luck

-Trek

Also this could most likely be a hard drive problem, if you have another computre with windows on it I'd take the hard drive and set it in the spare computer as a "slave" then load up the spare computer and run scandisk, and defrag the 'slave' disk..

I used to have todo that several times on computers I would repair,, dedicated my old p233 with powerleap adapter at 400mhz system as a hostpial computer to scan disks and run diagnostic programs on other system that couldnt do it to themselfs.

-Trek

etomac said:
WOULD IT BE THE POWER SUPPLY?
CUZ IT LOOKS LIKE A 250W psu n is made in CHINA n has switch n stuff miss out!

the only thing i can think of being on a power supply is just the power switch, voltage switch, fan and power cord connector

Don't Boot

So etomac, you haven't said if you tried moving your HD to another computer as a slave. My suggestion is that win98 chrashed on you. win98 was the worst OS that I ever used for chrashing the HD. Fine if you don't push 98 to the edge like I did. When I had that OS, I have to reload it about twice a week along with all my other programs at that time (4hrs later). The noise that your HD is making is because its stuck in a search and doing the chicken. If it was major, you'd more likely get nothing on the monitor. Try making your HD a slave on another computer and running a program like nortons disk doctor on it to see if all the sectors are good. If they are all good, load all that you want to save onto the master. Pull the HD and move it back to the original computer make it master again and reload win98 right from scratch. Move the other HD over to your comp as a slave and so on...

Back