• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Space constrained Heatsink conversion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
As most people here know I'm building a REALLY SMALL gaming computer. I currently have every part I need except for the helpful Handle which I will be getting this week.

My current dilemna involved my limited heatsink options do to the small amount of vertical space available. I traded in the classifieds for two large heatsinks, but it's been a long time since I've been around 60mm fans. The whine of such a small fan instantly started to bother me so I started seeking other options.

After having no luck finding another heatsink that is both similarly sized and quiter, I decided to attack the problem differently.

Essentially I'm hacking off a small portion of the heatsink. They I'll bolt on an 80mm fan grill. This will allow me to use a larger, more efficient (noise-wise), and it will help to cool the surround area of the CPU better.

Then I hit a snag. Ooops! 80mm fans regularly come in 25mm. Which is way too tall for my case to handle without having to cut a hole in exactly the right spot on the side of the case.
I did some research trying to find low profile 80mm fans and eventually found only a few options.
The 80x80x15mm fans I coud find were pricy ($16). That was discouraging.

After 30 minutes of searching I found a hard drive cooler that uses an 80x80x10mm fan that's really cool looking and the only site that has it available sold it to me for $8.50 shipped.

Problem solved and it won't look ghetto. Now I can continue with my previous plans for the window.

(I'll post pics once the heatsink is done)

hmm, thats a cool project u got going there. I have a chieftec matrix full tower server case, however, to my suprise, there is little room for my mobo and heatsink. Let us know how your project turns out. Maybe u can post some pics when u r done??

Re: A smaller 80mm fan.

country_3030 said:
I came across this in another post and thought it might help.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sandenpetace.html
That's the kind of price I was trying to avoid.
And oddly that fan seems to be rated LOWER in terms of CFM performance than the fan I just bought for under $9.

Edit: (26.5CFM/30Dba versus 20.1CFM/21Dba)

Thanks anyways.

Last edited:
Woohoo! That was so much fun I did it a second time! (I need to replace my sister's annoying Chrome Orb). These are SOOOOO much quieter with 80mm fans on-top and they look much cooler.

I'll post a scan in a second...

Back