• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much does a second gpu increase temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Correct a 7970 is not exactly your everyday GPU and should be able to handle most things!! And yes i must have been distracted and looked at the wrong Sig, but still we got the right Info in the end!!

AJ.

That thing isn't doing anything but making that gpu 'compete' for air. Get rid of it and see what happens...

So I removed that exhaust and moved two of my hard drives up so I don't have 3 in the same cage blocking air to one side of my GPU. Compare this picture to the ones on last page..

I'm very pleased to say I've dropped temps of my GPU by 10celcius across the board in some benchmark and burn in programs. I still need to do a test with the exhaust fan. I think it might help more with crossfire to help remove heat from between the cards, but don't know until I actually do it. So that's the plan, I have enough for power supply and 280x to go with my 7970(once AMD cards are back in stock!) Gonna see what temps are like in my current case, going to upgrade to full tower soon after even if temps are decent. I want to look at somethingnew, iI've had 3 builds inside of this antec 900!

eumj.jpg

Not an expert or anything but going from my own long term plans with my current build.

I'd say remove that exhaust fan (is it really that effective?). That's the first time I've ever seen one (didn't know they even existed). Place the 2nd GPU there. Place an intake fan on the outside (not a slim one) of your case, if the HS is blocking it from the inside.

Wait...you have a Antec 900 case? Isn't slot over where your GPU is? You can't fit a fan on the inside to blow over the GPU? That's actually where I'd place the fan.

Also as AJ is asking, do you NEED this second GPU for something? Is the 7970 not doing the job on it's own? Your sig says you have a 7870, btw. Is that a typo? Also I think AJ was looking at my sig. :rofl:

Haven't ran tests yet with and without exhaust fan, gonna do that soon. I do have an antec 900, and a hyper 212 heat sink, a 120mm fan will NOT fit on the side as you stated. I could not live with myself mounting a fan to the outside of the case, it looks so tacky. I had to put a filter on the side because air still gets pulled through side panel. I'm gonna pick up a gelid 12mm thick 120mm fan from new egg, moves around 50cfm of air which is much better than no fan.

I don't need two gpu right this minute, but I wanna prepare the best I can for the future, whether that be intense game or if I decide to run higher res/more monitors.
Also thanks for the reminder, I need to update my Sig! I sold my 7870 and purchased a 7970 when I saw them drop to 250$ :)

Correct a 7970 is not exactly your everyday GPU and should be able to handle most things!! And yes i must have been distracted and looked at the wrong Sig, but still we got the right Info in the end!!

AJ.

Indeed I can play most games withax settings at around 40-60+ frames per second, except assassins creed,black flag which I'm hearing sucks for optimization.
I'm very happy with my 797, for now I could wait to get another gpu, but prices aren't bas at all right now, I paid 250$ for my 7970 new at newegg. 300$ for the newest model isn't terrible at all IMO.

Also remember your case has a spot, inside, on the HD cage for a fan as well. A stronger fan there might be more effective (hence more economical for the benefits) than a fan on the side that doesn't do much. Just pointing it out.

Also remember your case has a spot, inside, on the HD cage for a fan as well. A stronger fan there might be more effective (hence more economical for the benefits) than a fan on the side that doesn't do much. Just pointing it out.

Agreed, I'm pretty confident I could do crossfire in this case, only time will tell..hopefully within next month or 2 I'll have something together.

As I stated before I might move on to a new full tower budget depending lol.

I would suggest you sell the 7950 while the Bitmining craze is strong. You may be able to turn a profit off of the $300 you spent. Then I'd get a single 290 and a cheap Full Tower case like the Rosewill Thor.

I would suggest you sell the 7950 while the Bitmining craze is strong. You may be able to turn a profit off of the $300 you spent. Then I'd get a single 290 and a cheap Full Tower case like the Rosewill Thor.

He has a 7970 GPU.

Also don't recall him mentioning he had a 7950...ever. :facepalm:

He has a 7970 GPU.

Also don't recall him mentioning he had a 7950...ever. :facepalm:

The 7970 would be even more valuable. Thanks for facepalming a typo, but it proves my point even more. 7970s on EBay are all pretty much in the $400 range.

At the price ranges he talked about I assumed a lower GB card.
Got a super deal before they sold out, my 7970 was 279 at new egg with 30$ mail in rebate, which I just used forbmy new case!

Full tower isn't really necessary tbh. I'd look at the fractal arc Midi r2 IMO. Great tower plenty of options and not too expensive.

Thanks for your suggestion, I went to micro center last night and picked up a new case, and its a mid tower. Corsair 540 air! I put it together last night and I'm absolutely in love!

More space and temps dropped more. Case is much quieter and lighter than my old antec 900. Next I'm buying a decent power supply and then a 280x to crossfire my 7970 with once card prices drop/come back in stock

Try to buy a Fully Modular PSU it helps to keep the build looking clean and tidy, and they are much easier to work with! What wattage was you thinking about?

AJ.

Try to buy a Fully Modular PSU it helps to keep the build looking clean and tidy, and they are much easier to work with! What wattage was you thinking about?

AJ.

Price is def a factor. Looking for quality though. Thinking the Cx750 from corsair. Cheaper than tx750,and I don't see much difference specs wise.. Maybe more constant voltage ? Idk

Input would be great !

A cx750m is also fine (not as good as the seasonsonic, but fine), will last through another build or two, and cost over $70 less. He did mention he was on a budget so why offer one of the best with a premium price (even on sale) when a lesser cost but still quality psu are readily available? ;)

Corsair 540

Pictures of my new case! I'm loving it. Clean, amazing air flow. Great wire management. What more could you ask for? Even with my cheap non modular PSU I was able to buy some sleeved extensions that really helped the way my case looks. Also I love seeing the HDDs spin and see the "arms" moving back and forth! Check it out!

reh0.jpg

nv2f.jpg

bjzz.jpg

My favorite part is the hidden power supply! Looks so sleek

Looks like plenty of space i can see why your Temps have dropped down, very nice.

Both psus are nice, seasonic is 144 after rebates and has a 35$ promo code on new egg! And micro center has a cx750 for 79.99 at my local micro center

Anthony it all depends if you decide to Xfire or Sli any cards in the near future as to what size and quality PSU you would want. But as i say its your own choice!!

Now I see how your HS was interfering with the side panel fan on the antec. I couldn't tell from the original pics you posted.

Sweet case. A bit wide, but sweet nevertheless.

Are those your HDDs on the bottom of the case?

Anthony it all depends if you decide to Xfire or Sli any cards in the near future as to what size and quality PSU you would want. But as i say its your own choice!!
Crossfire is for sure coming within the next year! Gonna get a good PSU before that.

Now I see how your HS was interfering with the side panel fan on the antec. I couldn't tell from the original pics you posted.

Sweet case. A bit wide, but sweet nevertheless.

Are those your HDDs on the bottom of the case?

Yeah, the heatsink I have is HUGE..over 6 inches tall. It fits nicely in the new case.

Case is wide, but I love the hidden PSU and its unique.
Yes those are two raptor HDDs at the bottom. I have a 3rd in the back along with a solid state drive. So 4 drives total.

Back