• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foldathon - Adak to the stars

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I decided to leave my CPU folding for Adak while I'm gone for spring break. It'll keep folding till at least Thursday, I might keep at as my permanent tribute.

Its been a fun last ride with Adak, that last Bump to the Stars as 'Cuda340 linked seems especially fitting :cool:

I will also fold an extra few CPU WU's until my newly ordered MSI 290X Gaming card arrives later this week and then a few extra there too. Been looking forward to this upgrade a long time, talked about it enough times lol - and feels right to finally run through some extra WUs on it in Adak's name.

He definitely left his mark here and I am honoured to have had the opportunity to get to know him better during last years Chimp Challenge. Adak is one good guy <3

Last edited:
I've gotten a bit motivated and joined up myself on the team.

I want to get a X5660 on the main rig in the near future and stick this XEON on the other one and maybe some minor GPU upgrades soon, didn't even have CUDA running on one of the old ones that can barely do it but got that going.

These things are really nice on the X58s

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2335636&highlight=l5639&page=50

Last edited:
wow, they are GooD value now!

When I got mine a year back the going rate on ebay UK for an X5650 was about £800
...and now can be had for a little over £100 (£140 for the X5660 for a better multi)

- mine is an early sample of this chip and though will make Win 7 desktop at 4.3GHz, it is not Prime95 stable at over 4GHz.
With a good motherboard production X5650 can hit 4.4GHz

Now I know why you are getting all excited over these chips ^^
(I paid a LOT less than £800 for mine too ;) )

Great chips for both folding and gaming.

Nice find - Fold On :thup:

I've gotten a bit motivated and joined up myself on the team.

I want to get a X5660 on the main rig in the near future and stick this XEON on the other one and maybe some minor GPU upgrades soon, didn't even have CUDA running on one of the old ones that can barely do it but got that going.

These things are really nice on the X58s

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2335636&highlight=l5639&page=50

Welcome to the team!

btw, thanks for the Anandtech link, I think I may go shopping for a L5639 as a nice upgrade on a oldie but a goodie x58 rig. :beer:

Still some solid numbers being posted.
I tried to switch to SETI but couldn't get that configured and that was before they pissed me off. (Crunching SETI since '04, 5K hours with classic and 5mm points since and I don't have enough points to post! :mad: )

I'm back posting for Adak. Hardly solid numbers (about 21KPPD at best) but a contribution nonetheless.

I was influenced to begin folding again, I have my 8120 running and waiting for my H8DGU-F 2x6174 opteron board and processors to show so I can turn out some decent numbers.

Great you're still with us. :D

HankB, why not move here permanently, we're much more fun. And someone usually has a good supply of beer :beer:

Welcome to the team!

btw, thanks for the Anandtech link, I think I may go shopping for a L5639 as a nice upgrade on a oldie but a goodie x58 rig. :beer:
The x5650's seem almost the way to go now for the money.

That and it looks a lot of the L5639's might have gotten snatched up.

Great you're still with us. :D

HankB, why not move here permanently, we're much more fun. And someone usually has a good supply of beer :beer:

:cheers:

At least until the weather gets warmer. :cheers:

Had I not already had a glass or two of port, I'd join you in a beer (but I have learned not to mix grains and fruits. ;) )

You bring much wisdom to the folding team :cool:

Adak's Foldathon has now reached 190 million points - :clap:

Attachments

• adak points1.jpg
    adak points1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 159
Yeah the new chip is going to need a bit of lion taming, up to 4.05 in the first hour and it's fighting me tooth and nail.

:cheers:

*edit* actually, the last time I started Prime I had it kicked up over 4.4, toning things down I jumped too fast.

Was probably trying to start the thing near 5G earlier, have to get used to the 22 vs 18 on the L5639 multi kicking in.

Still was using a few of my old bios settings.

4.18 atm and starting too work out the kinks.

:thup:

Wow, currently running 4.18, running folding at full power and Priming large FTT's and running 61C, with the 280X at full power.

Gonna beat this thing with a club a bit he he.

Get a X5650 ihrsetrdr, they aren't much more, got this for $165.

Think I mighta got a good one.

*edit* and I started up Full Metal Jacket in HD on the 47 incher with the sound system to really push everything.

:shock:

These things pretty sweet.

*edit* started something else in the background beating on this thing at the moment and pretty freaking WOW. Still solid 22 multi, not choking at all.

81mNmwHB%2BaL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Adak is still cruising nicely. I will be helping stoke the fires in the next day or so...

...my new MSI R9 290X Gaming has Finally turned up, courier missed a few pickups apparently. So will be sticking it in tonight and have an obligatory play before I start testing some folding out on it here ~_^

@mongrel
Looks like a good chip :)

Once you have gone 12 cores you can't go back!
- there is something Very Satisfying seeing those 12 threads in Task Manager crunching away at whatever you throw at them.

Back