• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Recruit - Welcome SLEEPER_V!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
SLEEPER_V said:
I'm new and I just read up a little on this. One question I have is how much hd space will this take, and will this program max out my cpu like a stress test. Also, are there recommended hours, qty or time of day?

Again... SLEEPER_V... :welcome: to Team 32. :)

- The HD space necessary to run FAH is negligible.

- Yes, FAH will max out your CPU like a stress test. However, the client runs in Low Priority mode... so your OS will yield CPU cycles to other programs when those programs need the CPU. In other words, it only takes the cycles that you don't need and is generally not a hindrance to daily computing activities.

- The recommended time to Fold is 24x7x365. :D

I recommend you start with some of the simple clients (GPU Folding is all the rage right now) and get familiar with the ecosystem that is FAH. If you haven't already, read through our 'FAQ sticky'. That should help you get a better understanding of the project as a whole. There's tons of information here... it just takes a little while to absorb it all. ;)

...also, you'll find this place to be full of great people (which is really what makes Team 32 what it is). There will be folks along to say hello and welcome you to the Team as well. You can count on that! :)

A very big :welcome: to SLEEPER_V!!:beer: Also, another thing you will find is that we are a very friendly bunch here, always willing to help out. We also have a somewhat small Mentor team, so if you have any questions, check our sigs, and you can see who is a Team 32 Folding Mentor. You can send anyone of us a PM with your question, or you can post up in the Official Mentor thread, which I can't seem to find, but I am sure harlam has it on speed dial.:sn:

FOLD ON!!!!:burn:

i am officially folding now. I'm planning on using an old dell cpu that is sitting in my closet to fold only. Its a great program that I am proud to be part of

- The HD space necessary to run FAH is negligible.
Just for an example, I run two different clients and have them keeping their data on a 512MB USB drive. With plenty of space to spare.
- Yes, FAH will max out your CPU like a stress test. However, the client runs in Low Priority mode... so your OS will yield CPU cycles to other programs when those programs need the CPU. In other words, it only takes the cycles that you don't need and is generally not a hindrance to daily computing activities.
It's just about the ultimate stress test. It can turn up problems with previously "stable" overclocks. But, depending on the client you choose, you can slow it down if running full speed is not what you are looking for. Some of the clients, however, will not complete in time if you do this. Plenty of people around here can give you advice on this. Some of them may even agree with each other. :)
:welcome:

Thanks for the hearty welcome. This seems like such a great program that I'll try to get some other people involved too.

My first question is this; I generally run Coretemp all the time, and it is only showing that I am using 100% of any one core (ie 54% of one and 46% of the other) is that normal or should I have dl'd a different version

I assume thats on a dual core? That sounds like you are running the uniprocessor client. You can run 2 on a dual core or 4 on a quad to max out the cpu. Otherwise you can run SMP which will net more PPD and also max the cpu.

Downloading and installing the SMP client will net you a much higher PPD (points per day) and also get more science done for the cause faster. It sounds like you are running a dual core cpu, or possibly even a P4 with HT. If it is a dual core then SMP is right for you and if its a P4 then another single core client may be the one you need. Although the performance gain with 2 single core clients on the P4 rigs is very negligible, 25% at best, you will notice a slowdown on the completion of WU's. I have always found that a single client always got me the best performance in that situation.

I am posting from my BlackBerry at the moment, so I can't see sigs. If you can post up your system specs we will do everything we can to get you pointed in the right direction.

i had alot of trouble with the smp client, so I am sticking to the single for now. I tried the 'one click' install also, and avast found a virus? Is that just the program or is there really a virus?

i had alot of trouble with the smp client, so I am sticking to the single for now. I tried the 'one click' install also, and avast found a virus? Is that just the program or is there really a virus?

What you have experienced is a false positive. It can be fairly common with avast, and I usually set up my folding clients folders in the exclusions.

Also, which SMP client had you tried to set up? I personally have had more luck with Deino than MPICH. You may want to give that one a try.

Edit: Almost forgot, make sure you follow the directions to the letter. The SMP clients are picky about that.

Back