• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L12 Mod Really Does Raise Fsb Up 20+ Mhz!!![Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I must have the wrong chip because that defaults mine to 100fsb.

min is a AGOGA 1900

NF7-S
1900+ (palamino i think)
SLK900
geil512
GF4 MX550

Last edited:
Im gonna try this on Friday I think. I am currently at 117x11 with my 2500.

I just connect:
AH30 to VSS
and
AG31 to VSS

right?

(2 connections?)

All that tehnical junk makes my brain mushy...

worked

I just did it.
I did the paint on method under the CPU.
It booted at 100fsb and in bios I set the optimal settings option saved and exited. VOILA I booted back up at 1917mhz 333fsb.
This was on a jiuhb dlt3c 1800+.

I havent tested much yet just started running prime. At some low settings and will try my old settings next.

Later

Wardog

sweet

My top fsb previously was 225.
Now i am at 242 stable in prime and going to test for more.
This little trick rocks. I have never done a mod that was so easy that yielded so much.

Spread the good word.
And if your thinking about it, then just do it.
I do believe that the paint on the bottom side of the cpu is the easiest way.

I tried the wire in the socket and the bridges on top of the cpu and this is the only way I could get it to work and also the easiest.

Later
Wardog

This will sound really stupid...

But here goes anyways - I have a Thoroughbred processor - which pins do I connect to stock the FSB to 166 from the 133 it is at now?

Do I connect AG31 to the Ground pin shown in THIS link?

Or do I connect AH-30, and AH-32? I am very confuses, and don't want to do this unless I am sure I am doing it properly. Thank you.

AH-30 to ground

Connect AH-30 to ground which is the pin either to the right OR left. The one on the left is not marked in that picture.
Although that is the one that I used. The reason I used it is because of the success that the guys at extremesystems were having using that one. It shouldnt matter, but when I did the socket trick it didnt work and I had it pinned to the hole on the right.
Look at the pics posted in the thread over at extremesystems they have tons of info for all methods.
The link is in the first or second post of this thread.

Good luck

Wardog

Thank you Wardog - that is *Exactly* what I wanted to be told. I was looking at all thos epictures and seeing it connected to an unmarked pin and wondering what to do... ;)

Thanks! I will try it later tonight!

Well, I haven't been able to break 198 with 2x256mb sticks of Corsair PC3200 CL2 @ 2.5-3-3-7 and 2.8v...so here goes. :)

Crud...I just tried the 133/166 mod and it didn't work. I connected AH-30 to ground using the ground on the left, not the right. :( Poo...any reasons why it wouldn't click? I used a small filament of copper wire pulled out of a bigger electrical wire.

Gah...it seems that my memory is flaking out even earlier now. It's hitting the wall at 180mhz, 2.8v, 2.5-2-2-10. :( Poop. Are there other ways to do this mod?

yes

Yes there are other ways

Follow the link in the first post to xtremesystems.com
There they have discussed a few different ways to do this same mod.

1. You can do the wire mod like you tried and I tried and many others. It just doesnt seem to be consistent.
2. you can mod the L12 bridge on the top of the processor.
3. you can also mod the bottom of the processor with conductive paint. (this method worked for me after 2 failures with the wire method.)

If the link doesnt work post back and Ill find it for you.

Later

Wardog

The link worked, so I guess I'll have to give one of those methods a try. Would using thicker wire or a couple filaments instead of one be a good idea?

Im not sure

I used 2 at one time but still couldnt get it to work.
Id be a little afraid of moking the hole too tight for the pin and damaging the socket or cpu pin. It probably wouldnt be abvious damage as far as the socket goes. It would just spread out the inside of the hole so that it no longer made contact with the cpu pin.

I would suggest the bottom of the cpu. If you cant find conductive paint try a wire wrapped around the two pins.
Youll need tweezers and a steady hand, but theen again youll need that for all the different versions.

Good luck
Wardog

Alright, if the second way to do it (different holes) doesn't work, then I'll try wrapping wires around the bottom...although that kinda scares me. :eek:

Alright, it worked this time - I only connected AH-30 to ground, but my CPU is coming up as a 200mhz FSB instead of a 166...oh well. Shouldn't really make a difference, right?

Also, this doesn't seem to have helped my FSB's very much at all...a couple MHz if anything. Would that mean it's my memory, or do I need to do it again and try to get it to show up as a 166mhz?

johan851 said:
Alright, it worked this time - I only connected AH-30 to ground, but my CPU is coming up as a 200mhz FSB instead of a 166...oh well. Shouldn't really make a difference, right?

Also, this doesn't seem to have helped my FSB's very much at all...a couple MHz if anything. Would that mean it's my memory, or do I need to do it again and try to get it to show up as a 166mhz?

What CPU and Mother board are we talking about?

Back