• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L12 Mod Really Does Raise Fsb Up 20+ Mhz!!![Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So having it at 200 is bad?

BTW - it appears that my max OC has gone up a little...I just can't tighten timings past 2.5-3-3-11.

Alright - It's everything you see in my sig. The memory/fsb are in sync - currently I'm up to 210MHz 2.5-3-3-11 @ 2.9v. The CPU is close to default speeds - I've made sure that the CPU isn't causing any problems. It can do about 2100mhz at 1.5v, and it's currently doing 2100 at 1.6v.

It's just a little weird that it defaults to 200mhz when I only did the 166mhz mod.

Strange.. your ram should do better then that even at timings of cas2, 5,2,2 at that voltage. Is this stuff newer? or the older stuff that has Winbond BH-5 chips?

Also runing at high FSB demands more from your CPU. So you might have to add more voltage to the vcore to help the CPU run that...

What DIMM slots are you using?

I'm using DIMM slots 2 and 3 currently. FSB hasn't been a problem with the CPU before - it could do 215/220 or so with a single stick. One stick is the rev1.1 I got maybe...oh, a year ago. The other stick is a rev1.2 I picked up about 6 months later. I asked about possible incompatibility issues with the two in the memory section, but no replies yet.

Would DIMM slots 1 and 3 possibly help? BTW - 210mhz 2.5-3-3-11 @ 2.9v was stable through about 30 minutes of Prime95's torture test set on 'blend.'

Well i cant remember now which of the 1 or 2 DIMM slots are better but i think 2 and 3 are probably it.

210 in DC aint bad at all. I believe the v1.2 stick is BH-5 and the v1.1 stick is something else.. I could be way off since its been a long time since i had to pay attention to that.. Wait for your responses in the mem forum. Or you could check it out at Corsairs forum and ask what the difference is between and if any probs.. i'm sure its just runing them both at whatever sticks higher latency is.

Also the best memory tester out there is memtest86 Use that to find what the sweet spot is on both sticks one at a time.. That way you can see which one if any is holding you back and what latencies you can use without trashin your OS since it self boots into DOS to protect your system.

Thanks a lot for your help. You're right, 210 isn't really bad at all. I'm a lot happier now - I think I tried to call it too early. :)

The problem w/ Memtest is that it requires a bootable floppy, and my system doesn't have a floppy drive.

johan851 said:
Thanks a lot for your help. You're right, 210 isn't really bad at all. I'm a lot happier now - I think I tried to call it too early. :)

The problem w/ Memtest is that it requires a bootable floppy, and my system doesn't have a floppy drive.

That sucks! hehe.. Might wana pic one up online for cheap. Finding one locally means you'll pay around 30 bucks with is crazy.. Finding one at a computer show or online for 8-14 bucks is the way i'd go. ;)

LoL - I HAVE an old floppy drive - I just don't want to install it. Too many wires, and I never use it...I should try to make a bootable CD or something. Either way, I can test it using different programs.

Last night I passed Sandra and PCMark2002's memory test at 215mhz, 2.5-3-3-11, 2.9v. :) YAY!

johan851 said:
LoL - I HAVE an old floppy drive - I just don't want to install it. Too many wires, and I never use it...I should try to make a bootable CD or something. Either way, I can test it using different programs.

Last night I passed Sandra and PCMark2002's memory test at 215mhz, 2.5-3-3-11, 2.9v. :) YAY!

hehe yeah see if they have that option at memtest86's site.

Nice!

I still think you should atleast beable to run that ram at cas2 insted of cas2.5.

Yeah, I can, but I saw very little improvement in memory performance. I can run row precharge at 2 also, but again, little improvement. I was using Sandra to test though, and we all know that that's not terribly accurate.

Another tip for ya.. Burn in the ram over night with Sandras burn in wizard. Just select burn in wizard from the drop down menu under "File" and then uncheck everything on the list but the memory bandwidth test and hit next and check mark the box that says Run continuously and select the run priority at HIGH then hit next.. then select CPU utilisation at 100% and run it.. Leave it over night and i bet ya you can get the ram to run higher after about 12 hours or more.

Though just do this on one stick at a time.. I dont think you'll get results doing both sticks at once since i'm not sure if it will utilize both sticks all the time.

I've done that to my Corsair 3200 2x512 sticks and the sky is the limit afterwards.. Corsair likes and needs a good burn in.. though do it only with max voltage to them.. People say start at a lower FSB and work your way up but i always just did it to the highest the ram wanted to run and i was able to achieve higher afterwards.. just keep doing that over and over and i bet you'll be very happy.

Alright, I've been able to do that with my CPU in the past. I'll just put in one stick tonight and burn away, then the second tomorrow. Sound good?

Dang, thanks for the advice - very helpful. I was able to run Sandra and PCMark2002 (not 3DMark2001) at 220mhz 2.0-2-2-11. Right now I'm at 218mhz 2.5-2-3-11 (the 2 it tRAS, yay) and it's stable. Might be able to crunch down the CAS or Precharge a little bit, but they don't make much difference. Scoring around 3300 in Sandra, and 6050ish in PCMark. Never broken 6000...and I'm still at least 500mhz short of my max CPU speed. :)

johan851 said:
Dang, thanks for the advice - very helpful. I was able to run Sandra and PCMark2002 (not 3DMark2001) at 220mhz 2.0-2-2-11. Right now I'm at 218mhz 2.5-2-3-11 (the 2 it tRAS, yay) and it's stable. Might be able to crunch down the CAS or Precharge a little bit, but they don't make much difference. Scoring around 3300 in Sandra, and 6050ish in PCMark. Never broken 6000...and I'm still at least 500mhz short of my max CPU speed. :)

WOW! Super nice! keep going man! :) and i've never seen 6G's in Pcmark 03 either!

Well i might if i ever get this damn custom case done so i can finally put the newer system together i've had now for like 6 months hehehe.

i'm newbie here...

just done the l12 mod on my 1700+ tbred b now my default fsb up to 166MHz:D

now still running at 2.4GHz with vcore 1.875v(bios).... if stable will try running it at 2.5GHz:mad:

highest n stable fsb i can go 215MHz with 3 sticks ddr... cant go higher... vdd mod already up to 2.0V

i'm using 3 sticks ddr 2 corsair 2700 + 1 hyper x 3500

wonder which 1 is holding my back

Back