• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L12 Mod Really Does Raise Fsb Up 20+ Mhz!!![Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So how does older chips like T-birds know what FSB to use? I know they don't physically have L12 bridges. But it must be something similar. So wouldn't the "L12 mod" work for T-birds. Because by putting those jumpers in it's forcing the auto sense of the motherboard to whatever you choose & not what it wants too. I don't see what the difference would be between the two chips. It would be like the old Celeron days where you taped over the B1 contact to force the proc. to a 100 Mhz FSB instead of 66Mhz on auto sensing motherboards like the P2B.

tictac - for some reason mine does that to me also, with BIOS 18 (I think). It still has the desired effect though...apparently it changes the default to 200 on some chips. *Shrug* A little weird, but I can't complain as long as it works.

Ok, i'm a bit confused...

1) Will this work in my motherboard, like not blow up my CPU? (I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5, VIA KT333 based)
2) So i connect the "top" (ie. highest green dot in that pciture/guide) to the first purple dot to the right of it? (i've seen some guy connect to a dot to the left of it :eek: )

Like so (this represents the bottom of the socket (like turn mobo updside down, the backside) or CPU pins right?:

Look at the pins I have connected with a brown colour, is this correct?

Attachments

• socket462_fsb_sense_pin2.gif
    socket462_fsb_sense_pin2.gif
    16 KB · Views: 526
Yes, that looks correct. Your picture represents the bottom of the CPU, not the top of the socket.

You can do the mod, but I very much doubt it will do you any good at all. This mod has only produced results with almost exclusively the Abit NF7, and in a couple cases with Epox nForce2 based boards. I don't think it'll do anything on a KT333 board.

It should work - that is, it'll change the default FSB. However, you probably won't notice a higher FSB overclocking potential - that has only really been observed on the NF7 boards.

Hi, with my first config (i ve not test my 2500+) i m not stable when i set the FSB more than 215, with another NF7-S, i was stable at 230..

My ram isn t the problem because i run it stable at 225 (2-2-2-11 @2.8V real)

Do you think if i make this mod i will able to run my CPU using 230 of FSB? )

Sry for my english...

Does the L12 mod work with Mobile chips? Specifically the Barton 2500+.

I tried it on my board but I don't think I made a good enough connection with my little "C" jumpers. So I still booted up at a 133 FSB. I then later on tried it on my buddies system & I must of made a good connection. But, in turn it gave me a no boot condition. So I had to pull the jumpers.

I am sure that I connected the correct pins. I was trying for 133 to 200 FSB.

Hi, with my first config (i ve not test my 2500+) i m not stable when i set the FSB more than 215, with another NF7-S, i was stable at 230..

My ram isn t the problem because i run it stable at 225 (2-2-2-11 @2.8V real)

Do you think if i make this mod i will able to run my CPU using 230 of FSB? )
Actually, if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have guessed that you're not a native English speaker. Your post was a lot clearer than many I've seen from Americans! :)

The L12 mod might help in your situation, and it's worth trying. However, the overclocking potential of the NF7 changes a ton from board to board. It could be that one motherboard can handle 230 while the other one can't, for whatever reason. I would try the L12 mod, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't help.

I used to run an AMD rig many many months ago. I had been using this mod before and it worked fine. I have since gone to Intel, and now back to good 'ol AMD again. I wanted to re-read this article just to refresh my memory.

Something irks me about one of your comments above. You told WobbZ to jump AH30 to a Vss Ground... that's fine. But I am quite certain that when I was using this mod before, I jumped ag31 to ah30 on my nf7-s just like StinkNBreff does. It worked perfectly.

Basically, I am asking - are you certain that it's AH30 to VSSGND?
0.jpg

Or is it AG31 to AH30?
1.jpg

I am now running an XP2100+ T-Bred B on an NF7-S 2.0 bios 22. Thank you!

Last edited:
Well I gave this trick a go. In the following picture, I connected ah30 to ah28. After picking optimal settings, it loaded as 166 x 6. (It usually loads at 100 x 6 since it's an unknown processor).
http://www.geocities.com/trats102002/nf7fsbwire.jpg

I was stuck on 223, now priming 228. Not sure if my CH-5 memory can handle it but we'll see.

(I followed the instructions here: http://www.geocities.com/trats102002/nf7sFsbsense.html)

EDIT: well results are in and I'm not too pleased. Even though I can boot into windows with 230fsb like before, I still can't pass prime :(. My 12V rails are low (measured 11.5V) so I'll upgrade that soon but hopefully the power supply is my only problem. I even lowered the multipliar and used cas2.5 and 3...so it shouldn't be the ram. :(

edit2: I ended up taking the pin out because I couldn't run my old setting of 223x11 stable.

Last edited:
i have VERY bad results of pin mods b4 they seem VERY unstable no matter what not being able to stay stable at old settings yet not gaining anything but headaches at higer settings. So i know stray away from them.

I tried this. When i change to optimized settings i get a magical 166FSB by default. This, however, didn't help me at all. Before the L12 mod, my max was 208, and it still is. The thing is, my *RAM* is limiting it!! It's PC-4200! i know it's not great RAM, but it should at least run at below rated speeds. It's rated to run at DDR533 @ 8-4-4-3. I'm running it at 2.9V, DDR432 @ 11-4-4-3 and i had issues! When i ran it with a FSB/RAM ratio of 6/4, i was prime stable @ 216FSB! I've been cursing at my mobo for nothing. at 1:1 my cpu failed prime at 216FSB in a matter of seconds.

NOW, i've switched the RAM sticks' spots from DIMM's 2 & 3 to 1 & 3 and VIOLA! I'm currently at 216 x 11.5 priming farther than ever before. This board is so touchy!!

In conclusion i have no idea if the L12 mod helped at all, since my RAM was apparently in the "wrong" dimm slots.

Back