• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the beginning....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TollhouseFrank said:
great history, david.

maybe from here on out, we should create a thread that is updated once yearly.... with a single post detailing the big 'events' on the forums of that year... new seniors, major movers and shakers, memorable moments (Like I.M.O.G.'s nipple).

Great idea! I am definitely for that one.

Oh yea, and BUMP!

Great thread. I have been a member here for quite some time and never really read much in the Discussions part of the forums. Now that I have I feel that I am getting to know a lot of you much better. I never really knew why the forums kept changing thier look, or I started seeing less and less of a lot of the original moderaters and senior members, but after reading this thread I now know a lot more of why that is. Anyhow, great thread and thanks for posting it.

We need a committee to review and compile proposed annual events to be included in the forum history. We can call it the Society for the Preservation of OCF Culture and History (SPOCH)! :p

Very very interesting. I really hate it when companies take over communities and then the original creators get pushed out forever. Its really sad, seriously, all my communities I give off to either a staff member or a trusted friend, never ever will I sell my communities.

Wow, Great post David, it's been a long time since I last posted but reading thru this brought back some good memories. I see a whole lot of new faces. Look like OC.com is doing well.

maddog39 said:
Very very interesting. I really hate it when companies take over communities and then the original creators get pushed out forever. Its really sad, seriously, all my communities I give off to either a staff member or a trusted friend, never ever will I sell my communities.

Skip wasn't pushed out - the cost of running the forums was horrendous and even with a few fundraising drives (including one by Shadow which raised enough to build a high end dual AthlonMP rig for the forums server to replace the aging dual P3) the cost was too much. I think real life issues played a part in Skip not being around so much as well.

David said:
Skip wasn't pushed out - the cost of running the forums was horrendous and even with a few fundraising drives (including one by Shadow which raised enough to build a high end dual AthlonMP rig for the forums server to replace the aging dual P3) the cost was too much. I think real life issues played a part in Skip not being around so much as well.
Yes, skip wasn't around a ton for a while before he sold the forums. He is still an admin, and welcome anytime he desires here. Although, and thread he posts in will probably turn into a "we love Skip" thread. He's like a Diety around here.

nice thread.. Although the obvious people indicated had major impact on the forum, I feel one major impact has been missed and this was the loss of maddman to the forums.
I feel it would be just to make a mention of him simply because he made a major impact while here and more so in the manner that he left us.
Many of the members never had the opportunity to enjoy his crazy moments and witt, and because of this we should represent him in the same manner as he did us...

UnseenMenace said:
nice thread.. Although the obvious people indicated had major impact on the forum, I feel one major impact has been missed and this was the loss of maddman to the forums.
I feel it would be just to make a mention of him simply because he made a major impact while here and more so in the manner that he left us.
Many of the members never had the opportunity to enjoy his crazy moments and witt, and because of this we should represent him in the same manner as he did us...

Fixed. His passing occured after I wrote the post.

Wow....I really never check this part of the forums. Nice to see posts from people I haven't heard from in a while. I really never post anymore but I do like to lurk. Heck I am still running the XP 1800 Palimino I won during the AMD's Launch of the XP line of processors..... Thats how old I am.. That was a loooong time ago. I got involved because a great friend, Flounder43 got me started. We were both bored and unemployed at the time so we had lots of time to tinker and learn. Also this is the place that got me into online gaming....once the Return to castle wolfenstien Demo came out I was hooked and Flounder43 helped me build my first rig so I could play that damn game. This place provided me with something to look forward to while I was dealing with the most difficult time of my life and for that I will be truely gratefull.

Nice Job on the history breakdown.

I've been skulking around here since 1999 Joined in 2000, So its been almost 8 years, This is one of a very few forums I visit regularly, Id say I come here the most to read, learn, drool and dream of a newer, faster oced rig and to just be in aww of what some of these cats build in the watercooling department. The Classies here are sweet too and plenty of great people always willing to help each other out.

I've gotten myself into a fair amount of trouble here also, pushing the edge on certain topics in GD. Some people just don't have a sense of humor ;) ;)

I realized though, it wasn't worth risking the privilege of visiting this place
Theres so many people who helped me here If I wrote all there names it will break the forum.
If this forum ever goes away It would be BAD VERY VERY VERY BAD.

Power to the OCF!

Last edited:
Back