• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the beginning....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The admins are all busy with RL at the moment, unfortunately. They get to stop in every once in a while, but not nearly as often as they'd like. *pout*

(posted before I was an admin :p)

Last edited:
Yay, this is what I was hoping to see! :D

Can I have a small hoofprint in history too since I decided to become an annoying thread-revivalist and brought this discussion back into the spotlight? :)

GV2NIX said:
Yay, this is what I was hoping to see! :D

Can I have a small hoofprint in history too since I decided to become an annoying thread-revivalist and brought this discussion back into the spotlight? :)

What you did was good, we need more people to read this thread, and learn abou the forum. Maybe, they will respect it better.

kevin... what sorta famous threads are there that you'd include?

i mean... in the past year... we've had "biggies" like the Metal-Club, Clumsiest Member, Hardware Destruction, etc....

what would you include?

I have been here for a long time. Dont let the post count fool you. I am still here on almost a daily basis. I post only when I have something relivant to say. Most the time I read just to keep up with the ever changing world of hardware. When I first started skip was still very active. One of my favorite moments here was when he replied to one of my posts. I was like "wow, skip the overclocking god responded!" Then there was a lot fewer members. Everyone seemed to no each other, or at least those that posted daily. Skip, Yodums, were always two of my favorite posters. Skip was so serious with his posts. Yodums was always the opposite so light hearted and funny with his. I would love to see those two in particular become active again.

I've become somewhat obsessed with reading old threads, haha! After reading each "chapter" I felt the need to search and pour through old posts to learn more. I couldn't get anything earlier than mid-2001 but there was still plenty to read. Lots of pleasant and even some not-so-pleasant memories are buried within threads that can only be accessed by searches.

Re-reading a "Yodums's pink hat" thread that I posted in made me laugh! The webcam thread had mostly broken links, but a few of the pictures were still up. And, of course, discovering YATTA gave me nightmares for a few days...

I say we call this the Age of the Renaissance! All those who consider OC Forums to be a home of some sort should know some of its history! If nothing else, the first post is a quick, fun, and witty read! :)

web archive captured a page from just after the lightning incident....
http://web.archive.org/web/19991013012624/http://cs5.cssftware.com/
Couldn't find anything else.

I remember rumblings from the Daniel-Skip disagreements, but never knew what went on. I think I was lurking the forums before they were v-bulletin, and allowed guest posting, then a while later I actually registered... so long... so foggy...nurse!

There wasn't much to be said about the falling out, that was a private matter, really, centered on a difference of opinion about how certain things should be done.

Thelemac said:
There wasn't much to be said about the falling out, that was a private matter, really, centered on a difference of opinion about how certain things should be done.

after turnin' senior, it was suggested to me catch up on forum politics from before i was a member (REALLY old stuff back to the beginning of the forums in thier current form).... Going back to 2001 in almost any section... there was a lot of upheaval more than once, though details really never said in the open... a lot of people were very angry at the time. It just seems to go in cycles. about every 1 1/2 years or so...s eems to be a huge upheavel in the forum politics

Last edited:
TollhouseFrank said:
after turnin' senior, it was suggested to me catch up on forum politics from before i was a member (REALLY old stuff back to the beginning of the forums in thier current form).... Going back to 2001 in almost any section... there was a lot of upheaval more than once, though details really never said in the open... a lot of people were very angry at the time. It just seems to go in cycles. about every 1 1/2 years or so...s eems to be a huge upheavel in the forum politics
Having tried to read a bunch of old posts, I noticed the same thing. It seemed to lead to many of the arguments that took place years ago like the "Would" incident. Took some sleuthing to figure out what actually happened, but it made me feel a bit uneasy reading those posts. I'm glad I don't really see things like that happening anymore, but I kind of wonder what it would be like to have the old admins still around. Seems like it would've been really fun... :eh?:

Last edited by a moderator:
The "old days" were fun, and most of us left from those days have fond memories of them. However, they are gone. Having been a participant at times in the big feud (though I was outside of most of the goings on as it was really a feud between 4 people with a lot of people drawn in on different sides). One thing that I do work on is trying to make this forum more fun in the sections that I moderate and get it more like the old days were. But its quite difficult because there is a lot less respect among the members here than there once was, which is why we can't have political and religious debates. If we can get more respect to go around here, things will vastly improve.

Its been a while since I have thought of Daniel. He was a great guy, but his beliefs on forum management wouldn't allow for a forum of this size. I have immense respect, but with him it was he who was the arbiter of all decisions (with some input from Skip, but Skip, I think wisely, let Daniel run the show), and that just doesn't work in a forum of 60,000+ members.

And if you have any ideas on how to make things more fun, I am all ears.

William said:
One thing that I do work on is trying to make this forum more fun in the sections that I moderate and get it more like the old days were. But its quite difficult because there is a lot less respect among the members here than there once was, which is why we can't have political and religious debates. If we can get more respect to go around here, things will vastly improve.

And if you have any ideas on how to make things more fun, I am all ears.
Thanks William for trying to bring some of the "old world" flavor of OC Forums back! :) I wish I could organize a regional OC Forums convention or hang out event or something. I guess there are LAN parties (never been to one), but something more laid back would be nicer. That would definitely be fun and assigning faces and experiences to people we call friends can increase levels of respect too. Oh well, maybe someday when I can find a way to raise thousands of dollars... :)

Back